• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Margaret's Church Ward End

D

DennyGirl

Hi
This is the correct address.I'm still looking for a pic as yet no luck.

St Margaret, Ward End
abt2.gif

Built: 1517
Architect: Bond, Thomas
Style of worship: Broad/Middle

No details given ,
Please try the diocesan web site

Our Location:
Saint Margarets Road (by Church Walk and Over Pool Road)
Ward End
West Midlands
B8 2HA

https://www.acny.org.uk/event_search.php

Dennygirl, Pic's of St Margaret's Church are on Thread
Whatever has happened to our great statues.

St Margaret Ward End

The Church was originally built in. or shortly before 1517, by Thomas Bond, a merchant of Coventry, and lord of the manor of Ward End. An agreement was made by him and the vicar of Aston that in payment for an annual sum of 6s. 8d. the church should run its own affairs, and presumably bury its own dead. The church had fallen into disrepair by the late 17th Century, and it is reported that it was being used as a barn by 1809. An appeal was launched in 1833 and the church was rebuilt. It was concecrated in 1841, and its burial registers began the following year. The churchyard was transferred to the control of the parks committee in 1927, and laid out as a garden. Burials continued in family graves up to 1942. There is a monument in the church to the local historian William Hutton.

This is a piece from Joseph Mckenna's book In the Midst Of Life, a history of the burial grounds of Birmingham available at Birmingham Library.

St Margarets

Thanx Cromwell for the link and pics.
:) Denny

Here are a couple of photo's of St Margaret's taken today. I also found a headstone for the Spink family which I have in my tree but I have not connected this one yet!

I am researching a burial at St Margaret's Ward End on 12 September 1884. An Olive Blanche James aged 8 months was buried in a family grave and her parents emigrated to Australia about 6 months later.

Does anybody know if a headstone exists for this burial or how to contact the authorities looking after the church as I believe it is now closed.

thanks

Bruce

Hello Bruce I went and had a walk round about two years ago there are a lot of headstones still standing and some laid against the outside wall.

Thank you Wendy, much appreciated. I will probably make a trip up to Birmingham to have a look myself.

Bruce

Thats interesting Winston I hope they do something good with the church soon.:)

Thank you Wendy and Winston for your interest. I've contacted the Trust but no response yet. I was planning a trip to Birmingham this Saturday but with the weather forecast I think I'll stay at home.:cry:

Bruce

bruce.dont worry about trying to get to the church.i will try and get any photos of the grave stones i can. i cannot bunk over the wall like i used to.so will gain legal entry.

Winston, it is very kind of you to offer to get photosa. Many thanks.
The name is Olive Blanche James and it may be in a single grave or part of a larger "family" one.

best regards

Bruce

:)

Hi Winston, any luck with getting access to St Margaret's to look at head stones? I am off to Somerset this weekend but could visit Birmingham next weekend. Do you need special permission to get into the church yard?

I really appreciate your help and very best regards

Bruce

Re: ST Margarets

St_Margarets_16_edited.jpg
What a lovely suprise today to find St Mary's Ward End open. There is a lot of work going on there with the help of lottery funding.
We had a lovely chat with Darrel and the vicar Peter.

St_Margarets_Ward_End_14_edit.jpg
There was a display there with info about the ongoing work. The church will look exactly the same from St Margaret's Road with the grave yard restored and new purpose built memorial garden for people to inter ashes of loved ones. The church is open in the week but it's best to ring if you want to visit. 0121 326 9983.

They have had to move William Hutton to a safer place as they were a little worried he may tumble.
St_Margarets_Ward_End_4_edited.jpg

St Margaret's church Ward End was built on the site of a 1516 church, the excisting building was built in 1834 in the reign of William 1Vth. This is one of the few buildings in Birmingham in that period with a unique Coat of Arms in relief. The photo is not that good because the coat of arms has been painted over. It is now due to be taken down and properly restored.
St_Margarets_Coat_of_Arms.jpg

St Margarets is grade 2 listed because of it's heritage and strong connection to the Hutton family. I have copied this article about the church's connection to the Hutton family done by a former member as I think it should be posted here. The only problem I have with this article is the church which now stands was built in 1834. I beleive the previous church was a ruin so am unsure about the authenticity. It is interesting though.

Strange how we get information from a source you would not expect it from...The Pen Museum and the guys their (and lady) went out of their way to help ...so now with added info I can confirm that William Hutton who died at the ripe old age of 92 on the 20th Sept. 1815 at the house he built himself at Bennett's Hill in 1769 is buried in St Margaret's Church, Ward End underneath a flat tombstone which reads Here lieth the body of Sarah, wife of William Hutton who died Jany.23rd 1796 aged 65 years also William Hutton who died Sept 20th 1815 aged 92 years
The Marble bust of William Hutton was erected by direction of the will of Samuel Hutton who died at his home Ward End Hall on 23rd Jan. 1848
The Marble books beneath the bust represent his 'History of Birmingham', History of Darby, Bosworth Field and other books, his ink stand and pen rest on some of these volumes and in the centre near the canopy are the arms and crest of Hutton.
The Above William Hutton and his son were deposited in a vault in the parish churchyard the remains of his daughter Catherine who died on 13th March 1846 lie in a vault beneath the church

George Hutton,Williams father bought most of the furniture for his house from Thomas Spiby in 1740 he paid 4 shillings for the desk, on his fathers death he inherited most of the furniture which was seized in the riots of 1791 and the house torched. Hutton fled and returned years later to the burnt out shell and rebuilt the interior
The old burnt out desklay dormant in the Lumber-room for many years till William Huttons son Thomas had it repaired for £1 & 5 shillings
The old desk that William Hutton sat at (circa 1640) with all his treasures were all preserved at Ward End Hall
Ward End Hall is long gone so who knows what happened to Hutton's possessions

Photo of Print taken with Digital Camera with the help of Wendy from the book The Life of William Hutton and the History of the Hutton Family
by LLewellynn Jewitt F.S.A ..1877
Sorry there is no photo it was lost in the recent hacking of the site.

Wendy, that is a lovely window thanks for posting the picture. I have just been reading this thread - I am not familiar with this church but it is great to read that it is being restored and is open again. I have found it mentioned on another site https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-w/ward-end/ it mentions on here that the church had fallen into ruin by 1730 and was rebuilt in the 1830's. Would they have buried William Hutton there in 1815 - was it just used as a graveyard at that time?

Sue there has always been a lot of controversy about where Hutton was buried. I have been told he is not in the burial register for Aston parish church, but neither is my gt grandfather Arthur Yates who I know was buried there from his obituary. The records are only as good as the person who kept them. That's why we are lucky with Key Hill Rev Manning was meticulous.
I didn't know much about St Margarets Church, untill someone on the forum sent me a photo of the war memorial inside the church which included Michael's grandfather. It was lovely to go and see it for ourselves last week.

Nice picture but eveytime I clicked on more info I ended up on ebay....I do hate these adverts sorry Bill.

Hmmm!
Hi Wendy - the adverts are why the site is provided free, of course!
There is a problem with this site in that sometimes the pictures are only half-displayed,
but if you click on them, they do display correctly. But be careful not to click the ads!
Wendy - Give it another go!

Thank you Wendy for this photo. My parents were married here 7th June 1941. I have a lovely wedding photo of them standing outside this door. It is good to know that the restoration is under way and I enjoyed reading the article.

Back