• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St. Margaret's Hospital, Great Barr

if you know of any similar events that you mentioned i would love to hear about them especially in great barr and kingstanding areas as this is my territory!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes if you get that footage i would love to have a hear of it. Im afraid to say that a oujia board and grave yard sounds just like my cup of tea! lol.

Some footage recently obtained during our investigations at Shrewsbury Library can be heard at the links I've just put in the 'Brummie Ghosts' section Wendy. If you'd like to pop over there and give them a whirl....

I have been on a proffesional ghost hunt at the Bartons Arms pub which was great fun but again i came home no nearer to the proof i am looking for. The problem is with these hunts they are all so far away and without transport and money i am unable to make them, but i find the whole thing fascinating and would love to be more involved with them a strange hobby i know.

The unfortunate thing about these professional ghost hunts is the simple fact that the only real professional part to them is that they take your money at the end of the night for their shenanigans Wendy!:D We do the odd thing in the Great Barr (and surrounding) area, so we can always let you know if we're out and about in the region at some point!?

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

yes i would love to know if you are ever in the area! cant promise i would be able to come but please let me know just in case.

Been to the site a fair bit over the last few weeks - such a pity it was allowed to get into such a state.

Whilst I've seen many pictures of the old hospital, once it was vacated - Has anyone got any snaps of what it looked like while it was operational ?

I'm not sure. It's has scaffolding all around the structure and the roof is covered up, but no sign of any building materials or workmen for that matter.

I’ve seen no exterior developments over the last few weeks, albeit you can only go around the perimeter of the security fencing, as the two guard dogs seem intent on keeping you out – Well actually, they seem intent on escaping the fencing to get at you !

The current owners (Bovis perhaps ?) are certainly ensuring the Hall is now secure as there is also a security guard based in the caravan within the fencing. Sadly, they should have done this several years ago.

The Great Barr park area still looks beautiful (if a little overgrown), but sadly there is still an element of gangs ripping up the land on their quad bikes and motor bikes. Not too sure what can be done about this however.

I planning to visit the area at least once a month, so will report back with any progress I see being made.

Thanks kingphil earlier this year when the bluebells showing up near the M6, a lot were damaged by the bikes, might be next year before a visit by myself, on the other hand :)

Sadly, the people on the bikes are making the walkways by the lakes very muddy and slippy, and as you said, damaging a fair bit of the flowers and plants.

Unsure how they are getting in, as I always have to jump over a fence by the Chapel Lane entrance on Sutton's Drive.

Any idea where old photo's of the hospital while it was open can be found ?

the place holds a few memories for me, I learned to fish on the lakes in the grounds, and several of my family worked at the hospital, ( Scott Home, and Arblaster ring a bell) and the social club there.

I sneaked on from Queslett Rd last summer and carried over 100lb in weight of fishing gear to the lakes, and didnt get a single bite, serves me right for trespassing I suppose

Visited today, had a word with the dog Bailey and Security, paths were better than I expected :) lots of wildlife around :)
no work being done on Great Barr Hall :(

The Lakes today :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAp5vL11c1U"]YouTube- 27th November 2009 Great Barr Hall Lakes 1.AVI[/ame]

Loverly Dave brings back great memories fishing with my kids i live up by the scott arms it,s such a lovely place to go shame it cant be changed into a nature walk for the whole area not enough people no it,s even there what a waste. Deklollollol

dek yes the area a lot to offer :),
still a nice walk, :), looking forward to the Bluebells:)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAH_qqf2j9Q"]YouTube- 27th November 2009 Great Barr Hall Lakes 2.AVI[/ame]

Called in today, had a look at the Hall, still no work on it:(, parts of the Hall look like they have collapsed :(,
Security on site :)

I worked on various Homes at St Margaret's Hospital, Bache Home being my first one, during the 70's.
I also worked on Sanders Home which was on the right hand side of Sutton's Drive as you went over the bridge from Great Barr Hall towards the Chapel Lane gate.
It was a Children's Home, not far down the road from Isolation which was closer to the gate at Chapel Lane.
I loved working on that home and I am hoping someone out there has got a photograph of the Home, preferably before it was vandalised, which no doubt it was after seeing the photos of all the other homes.
I have been to various sites around the web but unfortunately I can only find photographs of St Margarets after it had been abandoned and after the vandals had moved in.
I would love to have photos of the Hospital when it was inhabited, especially a photo of Sanders Home.
I never realised just how much I would miss everything about St Margarets, the patients, the staff, Sunday dinners at the Hailey Nurses Home, the Social Club etc. etc.
I could go on and on but to be honest it hurts when I start to reminisce.
I hope someone can help me out with a photograph or two, it (they) would be more than appreciated.
Kind regards to all from Rod.

Back