• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Lukes Church Bristol Street

ive been keeping my eye on it for a while viv as i pass that way to visit my sister..i agree it does not look good..yet another one to watch

lyn

There is a planning application in dated 14/12/2017 for :
Land fronting Bristol Street, Belgrave Middleway, St Luke's Road, Sherlock Street, Hope Street, Vere Street, Mowbray Street, Spooner Croft and Gooch Street St Luke's Estate Birmingham B5 7AY
Demolition of existing buildings (St Luke's Church & The Highgate Centre) and redevelopment of site to provide 778 one, two and three bedroom houses and apartments with ground floor retail unit for A1/A2/A3/A4 use, with associated internal access roads, parking, open space, infrastructure and alterations to footpaths

Comments are invited : https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk.../Skins/Birmingham/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

I've had a bit more of a look at the planning - some too architectural for me but there are 95 documents in the application. Did find this attached bit though:
It also seems part of the land was owned by the Council and the rest by The Homes and Communities Agency.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_15-36-12.png
    upload_2018-1-2_15-36-12.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for digging that out Janice. Yes, wholeheartedly agree, these proposals take some sorting out. Not helped by the language used. What a dreadful final sentence in that document ! All used to confuse I suspect. Plain English please author.

And since when did Birmingham start taking an "holistic" approach to any development ? Sorry to be cynical, but we've really seen it all before. Rant over folks. Viv.

From the Library of Birmingham archives. This is the church in the c1890s before it was re-built. It also shows the school next door. Is that still there or has it gone? The school seems to be set further back off Bristol Street. Viv.

image.jpeg

viv to read janices posts i have to click on where it says show ignored content which is hidden...hover over it and it says show hidden content by pjmburns

lyn

I don't seem to get that Lyn. I'm wondering if your personal settings have triggered something ? Maybe someone can advise as I don't know how that works. Viv.

A few more images from the Library of Birmingham archives.

The first shows the earlier interior (not of the current St Luke's but the building before).
image.jpeg

The second shows the staircase within the bell tower.
image.jpeg
The last is the foundation stone - 1902, what a lovely font used in the carving of this stone. And the Church was re-built using public subscription What a shameful waste of all that effort 100+ years ago. The stone is well worth preserving. Let's hope it doesn't disappear with all the rubble when the building is demolished. Viv.

image.jpeg

viv to read janices posts i have to click on where it says show ignored content which is hidden...hover over it and it says show hidden content by pjmburns

lyn
Sorry Lyn - I didn't do anything different so I don't know why you are having trouble.

What a waste. It had some good features. Doubtless most of it will end up as rubble. Viv.

It seems that my great grand parents, John Williams aged 22 of Bell Barn Rd. and Fanny Hatton aged 21 of Clevedon Rd were married here in November 1886.

Back