• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Judes Church Hill Street

Re: St Judes Church

The organ from St Jude's is now being removed from Claymore School, Dorset and our church in Exeter is currently raising funds to have it installed there.

Hi telegraph_reader,

Any idea why Clayesmore are getting rid of it? Is it getting too expensive to maintain? No mention of it on the Clayesmore website.

Maurice :cool:

Telegraph_reader:

Thanks for that information. For those interested in the St Jude's organ, there are details on page 8 of that site or just use this link here:-

https://www.stmichaelsmountdinham.org.uk/page8.htm

Nice to know it is going to a good home! I'm currently trying to ascertain the status of the pipe organ in the now closed Punshon Memorial Wesleyan Church in Bournemouth. It originally resided in Shire Hall, Dorchester, and was still looking for a new home a few weeks ago. It would be nice to see that find a new home too as all my children were christened in that church.

Hi, any chance of the photos of St Judes Church being re-posted. My mother was married from there so would love a photo of it. Her photos didn't come out so were taken elswhere.

my 4x grandmother emily middleton was born at no 12 tonk street in 1849 would love to see any photos if any
thank you josie

hi poihipi
if you put in photo of st jude church birmingham in google you will get some up my ggrandmother and ggggrandmother was both married at st jude church josie

HI, I only get the RC St Judes not the one on Hill ST which was part of ST martins in the Bull ring. I have spent hours looking but have come up with nothing so let me lnow if you find a photo as I would love one to show me where my mother was married on 1939.

are you looking for the one in hill street if so i have that one i am trying to put it on forum but having trouble doing so josie

Yes it would be great if you can do it if not send it to me by instant message. Let me you know what your family tree is. As you can see by previous posts on my mother's side is Elliott and Earp. Of iinterest also is claybrook St and Hill St as she was wed from there.

as im only just getting use to all this ( only just learned how to do email ) could you tell me how to send instant message and i will send it toyou with message josie

hi piohipi
here are of st jude hill street
my tree is o'beirnes i am reseaching houghton middleton randle garrett and ( o'beirnes spelt meny ways from ireland )
josiechurch2.jpgchurch.jpgchurch3.jpg

Not sure what original photos were, but here are some, two of whole church and 2 during demolition

demolition_of_St_judes_1.jpg

st_judes_demolition_1A.jpg

St2520Judes2520Hill2520St.jpg

st_judes_1970A.jpg

Is this the interior of St Jude's discussed on this thread? Strange title "Depot". Don't think I understand. Viv.
image.jpeg

Viv, as the postcard looks quite old I wonder if the word 'depot' has anything to do with WW1? They used a lot of large buildings for storage didn't they? Might have kept supplies there but it's strange to show the altar. My great grandparents were married there too, in the 1850's.

I have some photos of St Judes but don't seem to be able to attach them on here - how do I do it please?
I do hope you can find someone to help you post your photographs of St Jude's Church. I would really like to see them.
St Jude's Church is a part of the history of Birmingham which has now been airbrushed out of memory but photographs wil;l help recall its memory.

Here's two pictures of St Jude's - copyright of a Mrs Pickstone and taken from the book The Colours of the Day.

Jude1.jpg

Jude2.jpg

I'm indebted to its author, Patricia A. Chapman for the following information:-

The parish was assigned out of St Martin's & St Philip's in 1845 and services were held in the National School in Pinfold Street until the building was consecrated in 1851, building work having started in 1847. The parish originally comprised slums, and nail & screw factories, largely employing young girls, and St Judes provided them with facilities to wash and a clean place to eat.

In 1905 the Society of Precious Blood, a community of Anglican nuns was founded at St Judes, initially based in John Bright Street, moving to a farmhouse at The Haunch in Kings Heath in 1909, finally moving to Burnham Abbey in Berkshire where they remain today.

There's more information in Patricia's excellent book, which tells the stories of four Birminghamham airman in World War 2 - Pilot Office Stanley Streeter of Kings Heath & former pupil of Moseley Grammar School, Warrant Officer Jim Wigall of Yardley, Navigator Harry 'Butch' Lloyd of Gosta Green & his harrowing story of life in a Japanese P.O.W. camp, and Flight Lieutenant Jack Parker of Moseley - together with New Zealander Squadron Leader Kenwyn R. Sutton's stories of the British Expeditionary Force in France. Not short on photographs or human interest.

Dear Maurice these are splendid thank you very much. Is the book you mentioned "The Colours of the Day" still available.?
I am a member of the Anglo-Catholic Historical Society and hope to produce a book related to the Anglo-Catholic churches in Birmingham. St Jude's , Hill Street was a fine example. I am still looking for photographs of St Margaret's Church, Ladywood.
Kind regards,

Richard

Richard,

Not currently in print, but Amazon have 7 used copies going very cheap.

Back