• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Johns Perry Barr Lookups

Sparkhill Lad

master brummie
175 years of St Johns Perry Barr........OPEN DAY

As I have had contact with Rita (archivist) at St Johns, she sent me this email today which, as it is an open invite, I am posting it in the hope that it may help someone. I will be on holiday and cannot catch up on my search.
Regards Derek

"You have all been in contact with me about our archives at St. John's Perry Barr at some point over the last few years. Therefore, you may be interested in the fact that we are celebrating 175 years since the concecration.
The church will be open with a large display of St. John's archives on Saturday 14th June and Sunday 15th June.
We hope to have the church open on Saturday by 10.30am and at 3pm we are hoping to have activities including a visit from the Bishop and scones and tea available over at the Church centre. On Sunday there will be a special service with the Archdeacon.
If you or any of your families are available do call in to see details of the development of St. John's from it's beginnings. We have an extensive archive. You will all be given a great welcome."

Good posting,,Sparkhill Lad :) Folks searching Ancestors ,"trees" in & around Perry Barr,
Gt Barr, Birchfield, Witton, Aston , in fact All suburbs around the Church including lower Handsworth
should be interested to view these Archives at St Johns,
Good chance they may find some of "their" folks there,
Cheers & good luck JohnY :cool:

Thanks Sparkhill Lad I have put the event on the site calendar.

Thank you Sparkhill lad for that. My grandad and baby Evelynn [who would have been my aunt] are burried there. I do believe their graves are covered over by what I was told was a slag heap. Bye. Jean.

Thank you Sparkhill lad for that. My grandad and baby Evelynn [who would have been my aunt] are burried there. I do believe their graves are covered over by what I was told was a slag heap. Bye. Jean.

Sad to note that it my still be the same. Still waiting for the promise to "uncover my gt grandad" at least he is in the same spot with your family....small comfort

Popped in there earlier in the year, looked like it was just being left to go wild again.There was one or two paths and odd grave that looked like someone has been trying to keep it clear around the grave they visit

s back garden 170.jpg s back garden 167.jpg

bren

Bren I must go again one day to try to find my Granddads grave and his baby daughter who died at a very young age. Mom had tried and someone told her the grave may have been covered with silt at some stage. I really must go and try.

Hi Jean, do you have any idea of its location, as you know, it is not that big a place

bren

Hi Bren the only thing I know is that mom said it was at the back of the church not the road side and lots of building work has gone on since then.

If it helps anyone I have some but not all pictures taken at St Johns in Perry barr taken in the quest to find my Grandfather.
I will list the main names on the headstone and earliest date shown, many have more than one surname.

If you pm me with your private email address I will send the relevant one/s to you , they are:

Berry & Middleton 1835
Priestley 1865
Fellows 1874 ( sadly not mine)
Clarke & Lewis 1902, 1868 there are two headstones with this surname
Staff Sgt Mousley 1916
Poytress 1913
Richards 1874
Hodgkins 1869
Fletcher 1908
Lowe 1907
Hall 1864
Moore 1867