• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St James School Brewery Street Handsworth

Philhistory

Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone has any pictures of St James Primary school on Brewery street in Handsworth. I recall that on the same side of the road as the school, was an area that we called the bombsite and when I was very small I remember that it was an old factory with blue walls. Anyone know what the building was and had it been hit by bombs in WWII.
Kind regards
PhilH

Hi
My Dad grew up on Brewery Street in Handsworth. He was born in December 1948 and lived at number 35 until his mother died in 1963 then he moved away to Lancashire.

I showed him your question and he can only remember that there was a laundry on the same side of the road as St James primary school.

Last edited:
The school details extracted from British History Online:

ST. JAMES' (HANDSWORTH) C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, Brewery Street. St. James' Handsworth (National) Sch. opened 1843 consisting of 2 rooms. H.M.I. gave very good report 1843, less good later. In 1846 there were a master and mistress. N.o.b. 110 B, G. Enlarged 1873, 1888. Fees retained until 1903. Bd. of Ed. demanded substantial improvements in premises 1924. Altered and reorganized 1930 for JI. Became a controlled sch. 1949. Accom. 1961: 6 classrooms, hall.

Viv

Hi
My Dad grew up on Brewery Street in Handsworth. He was born in December 1948 and lived at number 35 until his mother died in 1963 then he moved away to Lancashire.

I showed him your question and he can only remember that there was a laundry on the same side of the road as St James primary school.
Hello P-Hall, thanks for your reply and detective work with Dad … I’ve since discovered that the laundry was called The South Staffordshire Laundry Co. Ltd, Brewery Street, Handsworth. There an advert posted about the service offered there and it was posted in St James Church in 1941

The school details extracted from British History Online:

ST. JAMES' (HANDSWORTH) C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, Brewery Street. St. James' Handsworth (National) Sch. opened 1843 consisting of 2 rooms. H.M.I. gave very good report 1843, less good later. In 1846 there were a master and mistress. N.o.b. 110 B, G. Enlarged 1873, 1888. Fees retained until 1903. Bd. of Ed. demanded substantial improvements in premises 1924. Altered and reorganized 1930 for JI. Became a controlled sch. 1949. Accom. 1961: 6 classrooms, hall.

Viv
Thank you Viv I recall their being a completion date plaque of 1873 on the building looking out onto Brewery street

Back