• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St George's Church Newtown

i think it was wend...such a shame its no longer there...here are 2 pics new to the forum of the inside of the church...

St_Georges_Church_Newtown_-_18-6-1959_b.jpg

another great pic of st georges church dated 1958 showing the gt russell st entrance..down there the other month and the gates are still there...looks like st georges school to the right of the pic.

stgeoschurch1958.jpg

stgeoschurch097.jpg

Thats a great pic Lyn, just how I remember it, the Tower Street gates, which are just on the edge of the pic are still there as well. Brill.
Lynne.

lynne thanks to john houghton for sending me this one and yes as we found out when we went down the other month all the original gates are still there...shame the church isnt..lynne until i saw this pic i did not realise just how close to the church the gt russell st entrance was..

I think the furthest gate from the church was the Great Hampton Row one, although I cant remember the St. Georges Place gate at all, we never had any reason for using that one...Special thanks to John Houghton.
Lynne.

Smashing pictures .... When you think about it there were some lovely Churches on our doorstep but as kids we didn,t take that much notice of them.

Thank you Lynn for those pictures of the site were the church used to be as sad as it is to see such a lovely church go at least they left a reminder plus a grassed area.

read it and weep eric....what a very sad picture this is but sometimes we must have the bad with the good..demolished in 1960..

thank you for posting it for us...

lyn

Hi there,

I was most interested to read your post about the war memorial inscription in St George's Church.
My great uncle Ernest Townsend was killed in action in 1918, he lived in Lower Tower Street.
I wonder if his name appears on the memorial.
Unfortunately I am unable to open the thumbnails. I wonder if you would be kind enough to repost them.
Many thanks
DonT

Hi there,

I was most interested to read your post about the war memorial inscription in St George's Church.
My great uncle Ernest Townsend was killed in action in 1918, he lived in Lower Tower Street.
I wonder if his name appears on the memorial.
Unfortunately I am unable to open the thumbnails. I wonder if you would be kind enough to repost them.
Many thanks
DonT

hi don..any thumbnail attachments that you cant open is due to the fact that the forum was hacked some time ago and we lost all of our images...some have been reposted where possable...will have a look to see if i have still got the pics of the war memorial and if so will repost them for you..hopefully your gt great uncles name will be on it..
lyn

the great war memorial at st georges church..sorry don but your gt uncles name does not appear to be on it..it could be that he didnt attend st georges school or was not a member of the church congregation...
please ignore the thumbnail it was an error on my part..
lyn

DSC00383_zps008df1ee.jpg

DSC00384_zps63ee60e2.jpg

DSC00385_zps146887d2.jpg

DSC00386_zps9a56ee92.jpg

Last edited:
Back