• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Gabriels mission rooms, Summer Road, Acocks Green

Chesh

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone,

We are about to move to a house on Summer Road in Acocks Green and when googling around noticed there was a mission room linked to St Mary's church that seems to be roughly where the house is. I can't seem to find much more than a couple of old maps and mention of the years that the mission rooms were open.

Wondering with the wealth of knowledge on the forum, if any one can point me in the direction of any more information?

Thanks

Hi Chesh,

First of all best of luck on your move and I hope everything goes well for you.

I think you might find that St Gabriels Mission Rooms are still there (well it looks like it to me) I think the commercial building at number 22 Summer Road has been built on to the front of the mission rooms. It does look to be in about the right place.

Attachments

• St Gabriels.JPG
    St Gabriels.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 15
  • number 22.JPG
    number 22.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 13
It is listed in the 1908 Kellys directory, but not the 1905 one. It was a C of E establishment, and was last listed as a place of worship in 1932. However it seems to have been replaced either just in name of by rebuilding by the Acocks Green War Memorial Hall. In the Clerical section of the directory of 1932 it is listed as St Gabriel's, but in the street section it is the Memorial Hall. The memorial Hall was still there in 1973

I remember a single story shop sort of tagged on to the last house before the garage , set back from the building line , it was an insurance office around 25 years ago , don't know if it's still there

Hi Chesh,

First of all best of luck on your move and I hope everything goes well for you.

I think you might find that St Gabriels Mission Rooms are still there (well it looks like it to me) I think the commercial building at number 22 Summer Road has been built on to the front of the mission rooms. It does look to be in about the right place.

Thanks Phil, I'm sure it will go fine, it will be nice to get to know another area of the City aftrer moving to Sheldon first of all nearly seven years ago.

I hadn't seen that angle before when looking at google maps, but it looks like you are right with your suggestion. Building looks disused as well which is a shame.

View attachment 92715Not much use for your quest Chesh but a look into the past

It's a great insight berniew, thats my next quest to find as much as I can about the area and how it used to be. I mentioned the Mission hall's to the other half last night and she said that she was no way suprised I was looking at the history of the area and was actually suprised it had taken me so long to bring it up!

Gates at what I presume is the beginning of the old Fox Hollies Hall ground look fantastic to!

It is listed in the 1908 Kellys directory, but not the 1905 one. It was a C of E establishment, and was last listed as a place of worship in 1932. However it seems to have been replaced either just in name of by rebuilding by the Acocks Green War Memorial Hall. In the Clerical section of the directory of 1932 it is listed as St Gabriel's, but in the street section it is the Memorial Hall. The memorial Hall was still there in 1973

Thanks Mikejee, that will correspond with what I have already read. It looks like the mission room was on Spring Road previously but due to the building of the railway it was moved.

Chesh

A little further information for you, the mission rooms opened in 1905 and were built to relace the mission rooms in Spring Rd built in 1881 around the corner that were demolished to may way for the North Warwickshire railway line. These mission rooms were replaced by a memorial hall in 1928/29 but that was later sold to ROSPA.

Back