• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Andrews Church Bordesley Green

Hateley, my Great Grandfather got married there 22nd Nov 1874. Also, I've got Suckling in my tree, my Dad's sister married one, but looking through the ancestors there's no Alfred.

I was born and raised in Third Avenue, the top half was classed as Small Heath and the bottom half was Bordesley Green.

Hi I recently purchased a second hand external door. I was told it may have come from st andrews when it was demolished. I am trying to find a photo of the church and door to confirm this, has any one got such a photo
Derm

Thank you so much for posting these photos. So pleased I am able to see photos of St. Andrew's church as I haven't been able to find any more information. My great grandfather, Edward Thomas married Margaret Cadwallader there on 11th April 1897 and I have a copy of the marriage certificate with a sketch of St Andrew's on. Sorry, please excuse my ignorance as I am new to this site, but does anyone know why and when the church was demolished. Also where exactly it was situated.
Many thanks.

It was at the junction of St Andrews Road & St Andrews Street, it was still there in 1970, but not sure when it was demolished for Road widening I think.

Nick

The church i recall was in St Andrews Rd, in the 60s i am fairly sure it had a flat top not a spire. or has my memory gone again All the best formula t

Thanks for this Nick. I took a drive down a couple of weeks ago to try to get an idea of where it was. Do you know where Kingston Terrace might have been in relation to the church?

Kingston terrrace is marked in red, the church in blue
Mike

kingston_terrace_st_andrews_church_c_1917.JPG

Hello

This is my first post - I'm dipping my toes into the family history.

Thank you all for the photos and information on St Andrews Church. My Grandparents were married in this church- Charles Wells and May Taylor on 11/9/1920

It's such a shame that so much of this area seems to have been redeveloped - every address and building I have looked up seems to have been bulldozed.

Hi,

I haven't been on this site for ages, but by a really strange coincidence I drove around this area (or what is left of it) today. I agree with you, it all seems to have been bulldozed.

Re: St Andrews Church Bordesley

I was very interested to find your posts about St Andrews, Bordesley. My grandparents were married there in 1904 by the vicar Rev J H Richards. Col H's first picture is particularly interesting as I have similar ones. Judging by the postmarks it appears that they were sent out as Christmas Cards - three are dated either on the photo or the postmark, and I would think the 'Once Upon a Time' was 1909 looking at the children - the postmark was on the stamp which someone (can guess who!) has removed. That one was signed JHR so I think it is safe to say that the moustachioed Reverend was indeed J H Richards.

From left to right they are 1909, poss 1909, 1910, 1911

normal__St_Andrews_Clergy_1909.jpg
_Once_upon_a_Time_.jpg
_Christmas_Card__1910.jpg

normal__Christmas_Card__1911.jpg

Last edited:

What brilliant photos !! Have you thought of looking for this family on the census for 1901 & 1911?? That would give you the names of the parents & children ( I would offer to do it for you but I need to get ready for my exciting evening of playing scrabble) !!!

Margaret.

Good idea Margaret. I've had a quick look at the censuses without success but found the following on Wikipedia:
The Very Rev John Harold Richards was an eminent Anglican priest in the first half of the 20th century. He was born in 1869 and educated at Wrexham Grammar School and Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. He was ordained in 1896 and began his ecclesiastical career with a curacy at St Matthew’s, Cambridge. After this he held incumbencies at Bordesley, Coleshill and Edgbaston. From 1920 to 1938 he was Archdeacon of Aston. In 1937 he became Provost of Birmingham Cathedral, and held the post for 11 years. He died on 23 August 1952.

I've found them! His wife's name was Amy, and the children were Harold Giles (1904), Isabel Margaret (1906), Ivor Steuart (1907) and John Digby (1910).

Hello, It would be so good if you could repost the St Andrews Church pictures Small Heath ,my parents married there in the 50's .It would be so nice to see what it looked like .Many thanks ,Kim.

Back