• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Agnes High School Grammar School

St Agnes Grammar School, Sutton New Road, Erdington. (I was there 1966-1971)
The school no longer exists but the building is now St Edmund Campion School.
Anyone else remember it?

My sister and I went to St.Agnes's (early 50's) when it was a Convent run by the nuns... I still have the Black and White enamel badge...I have a photo of it but sorry haven't found out how to upload on to site yet!! Had a lovely blazer too. I remember the long walk down the driveway. Georgie

St. Agnes Convent Highschool...on the sight of Edmund Campion.It was originally in the house of Josiah Mason and owned and run by Dominican nuns. Knocked down and replaced by Edmund Campion school.

Anyone else remember it?

Hi Angela. I was at St. Agnes's from 1966-1973. I was in Sister Chrisistom's form in the 1st year and Miss Harrison's in the 2nd. Perhaps we know each other!

Hi Angela. I was at St. Agnes's from 1966-1973. I was in Sister Chrisistom's form in the 1st year and Miss Harrison's in the 2nd. Perhaps we know each other!

Hello gdevhardy,
Great to hear from you.
I can't remember all the teachers but I certainly recall:
Sister Mary Edwards, Sister Mary Gertrude(?), Mrs Novak, Miss Hatfield, Miss Troy and, of course, Sister Mary Ingrid, the headmistress.
Any of these ring a bell with you?
I'd love to share more memories of those days.
Angela K

Hello gdevhardy,
Great to hear from you.
Sister Mary Edwards, Sister Mary Gertrude(?), Mrs Novak, Miss Hatfield, Miss Troy and, of course, Sister Mary Ingrid, the headmistress.

Angela K

Hi Angela

I remember most of those teachers too. Plus Miss Miller the art Teacher and Mrs Oakes Science teacher. Mamzelle Gray French teacher oh the memories are flooding back
I was there 1967-72 Maria Tracey
Miss Troy took us in the 5th form to Lourdes.
We also went to Spode House with the monks.
My friends were Margaret McShane,Norma Viles and Geraldine Moylan.
Remember any of us?

Hi

We were there at the same time. You must have been in 1C do you remember my cousin Ann Halford? Bernadette Eblett or Mary Bradley?
I was in 1M which was a Miss Marsh who became Mrs Oakes.
My name Maria Tracey.

Hi

We were there at the same time. You must have been in 1C do you remember my cousin Ann Halford? Bernadette Eblett or Mary Bradley?
I was in 1M which was a Miss Marsh who became Mrs Oakes.
My name Maria Tracey.
Hi Maria, I was in 1C, 2P, 3M.....my name is Dee McCullagh. I remember you, Bernadette and Mary. Do you remember Mrs Truman who taught Geography? Also, Miss Parsons who taught French? (I think)
Do you remember Maisie McElroy, Angela O'Brien, Bridget Nash, and Taffy?

Hi my Mum Sheila McCourt went there in the 1940's. I found here school report from 1944 signed by Sister Mary Rose.
Would love to know more about the school.
Sarah

I had a friend from primary school who went there in 1963 (Veronica Guthrie). Does anyone remember her?

Anyone else remember it?
Yes, I remember it! I was at St Agnes' from 1966 to 1973. I was in 1W (Miss Wainwright). My name was Breda Finegan. Only one other girl from my primary school (The Rosary, Saltley) went to St Agnes the year I did and she was in 1C (Sr Chrysostom). I have seen some other replies to this, and I know it is a long time since this has been active, but I wondered if anyone out there remembers me? I remember going to Spode House (more than once) and to Bockleton Education centre on a geography field trip. I was in a school play one year playing Cuthman, 'The Boy With The Cart'. I met Sr Edwards a few years ago, she was living in Scotland. I remember Miss Wainwright, Miss Troy (Maths, who stalked the corridors in her black gown so we called her 'batman'); Mrs Trotman, Mrs Novak (Geography), Mrs Blagrove (Cookery), Mr Gray (English; wrote a book about Bob Dylan and is something of a Dylan expert); Miss Hadfield? (Art); Miss Seeney (French, she got married and I can't remember her married name); Sr Chrysostom; Sr Edward; Sr Ingrid. There are others I remember by face but not name. Pupils I remember by name: Eileen Lenihan; Janice Finlan, Anne Byrne, Catherine Hennessy, Mary Doorly, Helen O'Shea, Margaret Moulton. I do not have any photos from that time so if anyone has any form photos or a school photo I'd love to be able to see them. I remember the tennis courts and the grass and trees between it and the playground, and the lovely drive with the decorative island (with a little pond in?) at the front. Anyone got anything else to share?

Last edited:
Hello I am new here.... bare with me. I had a great aunt, Catherine Cooling (1882 born) who was a teacher, she also became a nun, all I know is she was born in dublin and went to the uk and is on 1911 census as a trainee teacher. She became a nun, Sr. Mary Stanislaus, we found a letter from a Sr. Mary Ignatious at St. Agnes convent, erdington, Birmingham to my great uncle, Catherine Coolings brother, who st. Mary knew very well. I would like to find out where she was buried. Any help much appreciated thanks.

Hello gdevhardy,
Great to hear from you.

Angela K
Lovely to find this thread. I've just discovered this forum.

I went to St. Agnes from 1971 to 1978. In the last few years it changed it's name to St. Edmund Campion and became a mixed school. Several of the nuns left the order when it changed. I remember Sister Ingrid, Sister Collette, Sister Mary Immaculate, Sister Sebastian and Sister Chrysostom who taught us music.

Lovely to see that you remember Miss Troy. She was my maths teacher and ended up marrying my father after they met at a parent's evening (my mum had died), so she became my step mum!

Other teachers I remember of the time were Mrs Trotman (Geography), Mrs Bramwell (Art), Mr. Singleton (History), Miss Prince (History), Mrs Cohen (French), Mrs Harris - could have been Miss Harrison and memory failing me? (Biology), Miss Lynch (HE), Miss (Mrs?) Platt (biology), Mrs Cromwell (Art), Miss Cleary (English), Mrs Hill (PE), Mr. Hayes (Chemistry), Miss Phillips (Chemistry), Mrs Stockton (German), Mrs Reed (geography). Mrs Gray (french). Mr. Grey (english/drama), Miss Stack (drama/RE), Miss Purdue (English), Mrs Blagrove (HE), Mrs Stamford(? HE) Miss D'Souza (maths), Mrs Woods (maths)

I have surprised myself with how many names I can remember. They didn't all teach me. I met some of the teachers again when Miss Troy celebrated her birthday - 70th? 80th? They didn't seem to have changed much :)

@Ck tennant I asked Miss Troy if she remembered Sr. Mary Ignatius and she immediately said she did, however she now has memory problems - so I couldn't glean a lot I'm afraid. It is possible Sr. Ignatius was at the convent, but didn't teach at the school.

@Brigid I do have some photos but I suspect they are just after your era and probably mostly of 1976-78. I certainly took some around the pond at the front. There was a whole school photo done in about 1975, I think just before St. Agnes' ceased to be. It was a sad day when it changed.

Thanks @FlaxleyGirl I am not sure that Sr. Ignatius was a teacher, I am trying to find out what happened to My great Aunt, there has to be a way of finding a list of people which their original name...... I will keep searching... Thanks.

Lovely to find this thread. I've just discovered this forum.

I went to St. Agnes from 1971 to 1978. In the last few years it changed it's name to St. Edmund Campion and became a mixed school. Several of the nuns left the order when it changed. I remember Sister Ingrid, Sister Collette, Sister Mary Immaculate, Sister Sebastian and Sister Chrysostom who taught us music.

Lovely to see that you remember Miss Troy. She was my maths teacher and ended up marrying my father after they met at a parent's evening (my mum had died), so she became my step mum!

Other teachers I remember of the time were Mrs Trotman (Geography), Mrs Bramwell (Art), Mr. Singleton (History), Miss Prince (History), Mrs Cohen (French), Mrs Harris - could have been Miss Harrison and memory failing me? (Biology), Miss Lynch (HE), Miss (Mrs?) Platt (biology), Mrs Cromwell (Art), Miss Cleary (English), Mrs Hill (PE), Mr. Hayes (Chemistry), Miss Phillips (Chemistry), Mrs Stockton (German), Mrs Reed (geography). Mrs Gray (french). Mr. Grey (english/drama), Miss Stack (drama/RE), Miss Purdue (English), Mrs Blagrove (HE), Mrs Stamford(? HE) Miss D'Souza (maths), Mrs Woods (maths)

I have surprised myself with how many names I can remember. They didn't all teach me. I met some of the teachers again when Miss Troy celebrated her birthday - 70th? 80th? They didn't seem to have changed much :)

@Ck tennant I asked Miss Troy if she remembered Sr. Mary Ignatius and she immediately said she did, however she now has memory problems - so I couldn't glean a lot I'm afraid. It is possible Sr. Ignatius was at the convent, but didn't teach at the school.

@Brigid I do have some photos but I suspect they are just after your era and probably mostly of 1976-78. I certainly took some around the pond at the front. There was a whole school photo done in about 1975, I think just before St. Agnes' ceased to be. It was a sad day when it changed.

Hi,
I started at St Agnes Convent Easter 1961. I was seven and I think my class teacher was called Mrs Harvey. Sister Gabriel was the headteacher. I do have a photo of my class which I will upload when I find it. I left summer 1964 and I remember there was a lot of building work going on.
Edwina (Thompson)

Hi,
I started at St Agnes Convent Easter 1961. I was seven and I think my class teacher was called Mrs Harvey. Sister Gabriel was the headteacher. I do have a photo of my class which I will upload when I find it. I left summer 1964 and I remember there was a lot of building work going on.
Edwina (Thompson)
Sister Mary Armenia. A strict but ambitious head mistress for all her pupils.

Coming across this thread about St Agnes’s by chance and reading all your posts has brought back so many happy memories for me. I was there from 1972 to 1979.

@FlaxleyGirl – I really enjoyed hearing all those teachers’ names again in your post. I recognised most of them and they brought the faces right back, including of teachers I’d forgotten about. It was so nice thinking back to those days. I also remember Miss Troy and hearing that she was going to be marrying a fellow pupil’s father (I didn't know who).

One name I don’t think has been mentioned is Sr Marie Simon, who taught history. Do any of you remember her? Unlike the other nuns, she didn’t wear a habit.

There was also a male teacher who took Latin and Greek. I can kind of picture him but don’t remember his name. Do any of you?

I’m curious to hear a couple of you name the French teacher (other than Mrs Cohen, of course) as Mrs Gray. I’ve remembered her surname as Lewis, which I guess must have been her maiden name.

I’ve got a copy of that panoramic photograph of the whole school somewhere but haven’t looked at it for many years. I’ll have to see if I can find it again now that I’ll be able to put more names to the teachers’ faces.

Yes, I remember it! I was at St Agnes' from 1966 to 1973. I was in 1W (Miss Wainwright). My name was Breda Finegan. Only one other girl from my primary school (The Rosary, Saltley) went to St Agnes the year I did and she was in 1C (Sr Chrysostom). I have seen some other replies to this, and I know it is a long time since this has been active, but I wondered if anyone out there remembers me? I remember going to Spode House (more than once) and to Bockleton Education centre on a geography field trip. I was in a school play one year playing Cuthman, 'The Boy With The Cart'. I met Sr Edwards a few years ago, she was living in Scotland. I remember Miss Wainwright, Miss Troy (Maths, who stalked the corridors in her black gown so we called her 'batman'); Mrs Trotman, Mrs Novak (Geography), Mrs Blagrove (Cookery), Mr Gray (English; wrote a book about Bob Dylan and is something of a Dylan expert); Miss Hadfield? (Art); Miss Seeney (French, she got married and I can't remember her married name); Sr Chrysostom; Sr Edward; Sr Ingrid. There are others I remember by face but not name. Pupils I remember by name: Eileen Lenihan; Janice Finlan, Anne Byrne, Catherine Hennessy, Mary Doorly, Helen O'Shea, Margaret Moulton. I do not have any photos from that time so if anyone has any form photos or a school photo I'd love to be able to see them. I remember the tennis courts and the grass and trees between it and the playground, and the lovely drive with the decorative island (with a little pond in?) at the front. Anyone got anything else to share?

Hi Brigid, You must have been one year ahead of me at Saint Agnes. Though, I do remember Helen O'Shea, we went to the same primary school, Maryvale in Kingstanding.
I do remember all those teachers you mentioned
It sure brings back a lot of memories!

Wow so many names from the past. Some of you have very good memories!
I visited Edmund Campion once and they had the old school photo circa 1968? In the reception area. I enquired about obtaining a copy as I saw my self on the back row! They never responded.
Would love to get a copy if anyone has one.
I attended the convent school from aged 4 till iit closed when I was 8.I returned to the grammar school in 1967-1972

Maria, you and I attended Saint Agnes at the same time. My name at the time was Deirdre McCullagh, do you remember me?
I was in IC, 2P, 3M, 4G2.

Maria, you and I attended Saint Agnes at the same time. My name at the time was Deirdre McCullagh, do you remember me?
I was in IC, 2P, 3M,
Hi Deirdre yes I remember you. I always thought you were very pretty! I expect you still are
How lovely to hear from you. Do you keep contact with anyone? X

Hi Deirdre yes I remember you. I always thought you were very pretty! I expect you still are
How lovely to hear from you. Do you keep contact with anyone? X
Hi Maria, are you on facebook? I've kept in touch with Mary Cruz and I've spoken with Pat Dolan a few times? What was your last name back then? Thank you for the compliment! I've lived in the USA for 40 years! Would love to hear from you too! I go by Dee McCullagh now!

Hi Maria, are you on facebook? I've kept in touch with Mary Cruz and I've spoken with Pat Dolan a few times? What was your last name back then? Thank you for the compliment! I've lived in the USA for 40 years! Would love to hear from you too! I go by Dee McCullagh now!
I was Maria Tracey at school. My friends were Norma Viles,Geraldine Moylan and Margaret McShane.
I keep in touch with Margaret and Norma usually by Xmas cards! Sadly Geraldine passed away a few years ago.
I reconnected with Maggie Kelly a couple of years ago at a Salsa night and we enjoy dancing and charity shop hunts.
What part of the states do you live in? I love visiting the USA and my former job as a travel agent gave me some great opportunities.
Find me on FB as Maria Spiers xx

Hi, delighted to find this group.
I was at Aggies from 1962 to 70 ( including one year in Mrs Thomas’ class in Juniors.).
I can’t remember first or second year form teachers, but it was Miss Parsons, Mrs Trotman after that. We had Miss Troy for maths. I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics with Angela Gregory and Amanda Scott, just the three of us in every class. We had Miss Auster in Lower Sixth for physics, then she left to ‘go to the jungle with her lover’
Very Miss Jean Brodie. We were enraptured!
Would love to get in touch with anyone from that time, especially Angela Gregory, Carole Daly, Eileen Saddington, Christine Wallington or any of the Crew who drank underage at Le Metro. Happy days!

Remember trips to Bockleton and Spode , plus a trip to Rome with Miss Troy and Mrs Trotman. Our hotel was double booked and the other school group ( a boys’ school) got there first, so we had nowhere to stay. I remember use on a coach driving round Rome looking for somewhere to say..poor teachers!

Back