• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spooky Soho...

ben0toffy1

proper brummie kid
We are shaking things up at Soho over the half term holiday... Down in the cellars we will be exploring the things that kept the Georgians awake at night... Highwaymen, headless ladies and the sinister swish of the guillotine!...There will be creepy crafts to keep the kids happy on Tuesday 25th, Wednesday 26th and Thursday 27th October, and Horror Effects face painting on Friday 28th October...Lots of scary stuff to keep the kids entertained, plus all the other Soho House splendour to keep the grown ups happy!... Remember the last day of our open season is Sunday 30th October, so come along to see us before then!

That sounds good, but my daughter has wondered if the spookyness would keep her boys awake at night? Is it really scary for youngsters (5 and 9)?

My two are 4 and 6 and haven't been remotely bothered by any of the pictures I've been showing them of the preparations for Spooky Soho, but if you're not sure, you could always come and take part in the craft activities and trail over in the Visitor Centre, and not go over to the cellars in the house - don't want to scare anyone off!:calm:

Oh well that's encouraging. We might be over then, I have long wanted to show my eldest grandson Matthew Boulton's work, so this might be just the right occasion.

Shortie

Oh this was lovely, I just hope people don't think Matt Boulton ever killed anyone in secret then went about his lovely silversmithing stuff, etc. Hope to be able to bring the grandchildren, but have to see what is happening on the mother in law stakes first.

Shortie

Having grown up at Soho I can tell you that there were some genuine spooky moments! One tale was that of the sound of a coach being driven up to the front door. My mother said she heard this one night when she was doing some ironing downstairs when everyone else had gone to bed. It scared her to death and she shot up the stairs to bed quickly! For myself, I often would go into one of the rooms and be completely alone, and yet the feeling of another presence there would be overwhelming.

Once when I had friends over for my birthday party when I was about 11 or 12, I decided to take them for a creepy tour of the cellars. Unbeknown to me, my Dad had got down there first and was hiding in one of the alcoves and when my friends and I started down the cellar corridor he poked a broom handle covered with a sheet out. The screams of us girls were enough to raise the roof as, thinking it was a ghost, we all shot up the stairs as quickly as we could.

Judy

Well, we've had a lovely week - everyone seems to have enjoyed the spooky cellars and the Halloween trail and crafts... It's a pity that we are closing for the season on Sunday!... I have just started working at Soho, and I never thought of it as a scary place, but lots of people have told me ghostly tales of the house Judy, so it looks like I will have to watch out! ... We have a couple of special Winter guided tours and a couple of Christmas Delights tours coming up in November and December, and I'll write a bit more about these next week! Rachel x:fat:

Just to update you on our Spooky Soho this year... We have extended our opening at Soho until 4th November, so it's still not too late to come and explore our spooky cellars! Adults accompanying kids in fancy dress get in free!

Back