• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soldiers Deaths

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I've been trying to find the death of a relative in the 1st World War, but he isn' there. I looked for the death of a soldier whose date I do know and he's not there either. Can I assume from this that soldiers deaths weren't registered, or is there a separate index? I know that someone will know the answer. :D

Last edited:
:)Di also try;
https://www.1914-1918.org/forum/
The people there have helped me a lot, one kind person took and sent me photo's of my uncles headstone in the war cematry and another even went and got my Granddads service records from the PRO and sent them to me. Just like the people on the Aston forum are ready to help if they can so are these chaps. 8) :)

Thank you jkc, yes I have tried the CWGC, no luck there.

Thank you Pom, I will try your link.

l have mentioned this in the past. its only a long shot but Local Studies in Birmingham Central Library have Local firms" Rolls Of Honour" These if l remember are two books with names of workers who fought in the First World War

Thanks GER22VAN, but my soldier was a Yorkshireman. I think there will be a Roll of Honour but not sure where.

" Soldiers Who Died In The Great War " on the 6 th floor of Birmingham Library, but l will add that you may need to know his Regiment and possibly other details. Its been so long since l searched but it gives date of death, where enlisted Ect,. if you do manage to find where he is buried then looking in the Cemetery Book records will give further details of Age, Next of kin, Address.
Hope this may be of some help.

Anyone that wants lookups  Soldiers Died in the Great War,- The National Roll of the Great War Birmingham- or any Trench Map of the Western Front I will do for free as I have the hardwear and discs to do it

All WW1 deaths are recorded as overseas. 1837online have the register for these but you do need to subscribe. The minimum subscription is £5 and for this you get 10 credits. Hope this is of some use

Back