• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Billiard Hall

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone help to identify the original purpose please of this building on Soho Road

image.jpeg

Viv
The Soho Road one looks like 233 Soho Road, which was a billiard hall. this fits with what is described on map, though the building shape does not look the same. It looks like it originally came to the pavement and the front bit was not added. Cannot find earlier use. Built between 1915 and 1921

Thanks all. With any luck "Billiard Hall " will still be underneath "Soho Bazaar" on the Soho Road building.

Viv.

Thanks all. With any luck "Billiard Hall " will still be underneath "Soho Bazaar" on the Soho Road building.

Brighton Arms is an unusual design, Viv.

It looks like crossed Billiard cues on the logo either side of the sign on the two towers

Ah yes Mort, well spotted.

Mike's interesting point in post #3 makes me wonder whether this building originally had another purpose, especially as it seems to suggest a different frontage. Viv.

Viv
The Soho Road one looks like 233 Soho Road, which was a billiard hall. this fits with what is described on map, though the building shape does not look the same. It looks like it originally came to the pavement and the front bit was not added. Cannot find earlier use. Built between 1915 and 1921
That period of time might suggest an early cinema, before the 'talkie' period. There seems. eventually, to have been a good variety of cinemas in the area - probably of a higher standard of comfort and entertainment forcing a closure of this place.
Watch this space, as they say! ;)

It is listed as a billiards hall in 1921 Kellys, and nothing there in 1915. Also maps pre 1921 show an empty space. When I wqs taking about the frontage, I was referring to the maps, which show a building right up to the road, but this could included a single story in front of the higher building. They would both just show as a single rectangle.
The 2008 version of street view shows it as Franes, which seems to be a snooker and social club, almost a billiard hall.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1sEn96qVU2LUvBG_BxssUTyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It does seem Mike, that your research shows it as a Billiard Hall from the outset and has been up to recent times.

I remember this Billiard Hall, although I do not remember its name. There is an identical billiard hall, now a Wetherspoons pub of the same name in West Bromwich which has the same detail ie snooker tables on the facade

Back