• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Societies: Birmingham Unionist Association

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Not sure exactly what this organisation was or who ran it. But it seems they might have had a particular role during the war. The WW2 image below shows a Unionist van doing the rounds of the street (probably Handsworth ?) telling people about child evacuation. The poor little soul with her mom looks very perturbed.

Also a badge for the organisation. It has a 'W' in the centre. Was this for a women's section of the Association ? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Not sure exactly what this organisation was or who ran it. But it seems they might have had a particular role during the war. The WW2 image below shows a Unionist van doing the rounds of the street (probably Handsworth ?) telling people about child evacuation. The poor little soul with her mom looks very perturbed.

Also a badge for the organisation. It has a 'W' in the centre. Was this for a women's section of the Association ? Viv.

View attachment 121863 View attachment 121864
Viv
My father was for a while after the war the political agent for the Conservative and Unionist party for Ladywood (Victor Yates seat for many years). He always referred to the party as the Unionist party. Google this and there is an article on your badge. But here we get a Great Barr cottage problem again, apparently and I sped read it the Chamberlains started a Liberal Unionist party, also on the first page you can find details of the Great Barr Conservative and Unionist party, still active today. In Erdington my grandmother was a Grande Dame in the Unionist party, the Tory party trying to wrest the seat from Julius Silverman, but always referred to as the Unionist Party. Any help?

Bob

Very helpful, thanks Bob. Looking more at the photo I wonder if it's a publicity shot - very clean and tidy children, a brand new or polished bike, very polished shoes. Doesn't look like your average street scene. Viv

Viv
My father was for a while after the war the political agent for the Conservative and Unionist party for Ladywood (Victor Yates seat for many years). He always referred to the party as the Unionist party. Google this and there is an article on your badge. But here we get a Great Barr cottage problem again, apparently and I sped read it the Chamberlains started a Liberal Unionist party, also on the first page you can find details of the Great Barr Conservative and Unionist party, still active today. In Erdington my grandmother was a Grande Dame in the Unionist party, the Tory party trying to wrest the seat from Julius Silverman, but always referred to as the Unionist Party. Any help?

Bob

I believe the Liberal Party was split over “Home Rule” for Ireland.

The Midland Union of Conservative Associations, The Midland Union of Conservative Ladies Auxilary Council and The Midland Union of Conservative Agents were all based at 33 Union Street in Birmingham City centre. I believe this to be a photo of those premises as it is certainly Union Street.

City Union Street Union Chambers.JPG

There have been a lot of Irish migrants through Birmingham over the years. It's not surprising there would be a version of the Unionists here. There were probably a lot of Republicans as well but most of the time they would have been better hidden. The Conservative ties with the Unionists aren't usually obvious but they come out every so often. Now the Conservatives are relying on the Unionists to prop them up in a minority government.

Back