• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smiths Crisps Tyseley

Had no idea that's where they were made. And a photo below to those who remember these. Viv.
That bag has a Brentford, Middlesex address. Smiths it seems had a few factories, mainly near large cities which explains the Birmingham one.

Not a food I eat often but when I do I prefer the original plain with salt variety.

Hi Ellbrown
Just want to say a big thank you for puting the big huge factory of smiths crisp up on the thread
and the reason i am saying that ,is because i lived down the road and passed it loads of time over the years
gone bye and i only lived down around the back on speedwell road for years and never knew that
plus i can say today i have a family business just around the corner and my office is just about five hundred yards from that
building and i pass it every day and never knew until today great and nice photograph , keep them coming
best wishes Astonian,,

Smith crisps and a Vimto in the garden of the New Oscott Tavern on a summer Sunday evening. Could you wish for anything more? Yes - Mom not coming out with a hanky and spit to clean off the Vimto smile before I went home!

lol pen...for me smiths crisps with the little blue bag of salt and a lemonade in the gardens of the vine villa street...i remember every room and every inch of that pub...happy days...see you tomorrow pen:)

Last edited:
Pedrocut - was it anything to do with being called up? Maybe they thought they'd train the girls and then they'd be off.

Seems odd to specify age 31. Why 31 ? And why not 30 ?

Just an observation, but the girls in photo #36 look very young to me - around school leaving age. Maybe by the 1940s the company came to cionsider younger women less reliable, prone to moving on, starting families etc. Viv.

From https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/womeninuniform/wwii_intro.htm :

World War II brought about major change for women in the services. In December 1941 the government passed the National Service Act (No 2), which made provision for the conscription of women. At first only childless widows and single women 20 to 30 years old were called up, but later the age limit was expanded to 19 to 43 (50 for WWI veterans).

Back