• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smithfield Fruit & Veg W/sale Market 1883

The Market at the beginning of WW2. Expect stock levels like these became unusual as the country progressed into the war. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

There's something very touching about this which illustrates the fondness of those who worked the old Market (although not the best copy). I like the photo too.

There's a short write-up about the closure attached below. Wonder where the iron gates went ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 14
This is a familiar image which has been on the forum before. It's looking along Moat Lane towards the Drovers Arms (behind the tram). The image is titled Old Smithfield Market, so I presume this was the old outdoor Smithfield market until the new (1883 covered) Smithfield Market was built. Did the open land in the image get taken up with the building of the later covered Smithfield Martket? I can't quite match it up with later maps. Viv.

View attachment 115934
The tram car in this photo is No.51 (taken from a higher definition copy of the same photo). According to David Harvey's 'Birmingham Before the Electric Tram,' that car entered service in 1885. Further in the same book David Harvey, also gives a date of 1886 for the commencement of the 'C' route tram service. So assuming Mr Harvey is correct, the photo is no earlier than 1886. However that doesn't fit with the narrative of it being taken prior to a putative building of a covered market, within the view of this photograph, in 1883.

As for the sign on the Drover's Arms, as the pub building itself is only three windows wide and 'Mitchell's A.....' takes up two and a half windows, it seems unlikely that the sign says 'Mitchell's And Butler's.' There just isn't room. 'Mitchell's Ales' seems more plausible. Also the pub on the far left of the photo has a sign on top stating 'Mitchell ?? Ales.' No mention of 'Butler's.' So the photo appears to be taken before, or perhaps shortly after, the Mitchell's and Butler's merger in 1898.

Therefore, on this evidence the photo was taken sometime between 1886 and 1898

A drawing of the 1903 extension to the Market. (The article which featured in the Birmingham Gazette is dated 2/12/1950). Hadn’t realised the different uses for the upper and lower levels; wholesale above and market gardeners below. Also surprised that the Rag Market was held here on Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Expect some of the foundations must still remain if they were 14ft below street level (ie the bottom of the old moat). Perhaps this was what was found when it was surveyed some years ago.

Viv.
D88FB5D7-E0C2-41FE-ABEC-E3F1009FB04A.jpeg

Attachments

• A3103F68-37AC-4C8F-ADE8-41A9B2BE0021.jpeg
    A3103F68-37AC-4C8F-ADE8-41A9B2BE0021.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
A drawing of the 1930s extension to the Market. (The article which featured in the Birmingham Gazette is dated 2/12/1950). Hadn’t realised the different uses for the upper and lower levels; wholesale above and market gardeners below. Also surprised that the Rag Market was held here on Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Expect some of the foundations must still remain if they were 14ft below street level (ie the bottom of the old moat). Perhaps this was what was found when it was surveyed some years ago.

Viv.
View attachment 141780
Viv, did you mean the 1903 extension to the market?

My first recollection of Smithfield Market, the wholesale fruit and
vegetable was as a small boy just before the war in the 1930s.
My dad "Big Joe" was a GWR carter and well known in the area.All the produce in those day came in to birmingham by train to Moor st station and from about 4am the fruit and veg was
taken by horse and cart to the market and delivered to the stalls
of the wholesalers and the small greengrocers used to buy from
them. I can remember Randle bros and Parsons and many others
All the local pubs used to be open and the cafe which i think was
in Dean street.
Lovely to see that someone remembers Randall Bros. and Parsons. My grandfather was the son of one of the original Randall Bros. and worked on the market all his life.
Does anyone remember a tall chimney with "Randall Bros." written on it in red? It could be seen from the train as you approached New St station and would still have been there in the mid 1950s.

Several mentions here of Banana's ripening, these were called the Banana rooms and the building had about four floors where whole stems of Banana's would be hung up in rows. I mentioned about me working there in the early 60's on another thread. Bananas began arriving by air instead of by ship so didn't need long ripening. The rooms were taken over by general fruit & veg companies and the firm I worked for had the job of plastering & painting the whole place from top to bottom, a lift shaft was installed as well.

Welcome Finona. Hopefully someone remembers the chimney. Maybe we could even find a photo somewhere. You never know what can be turned up by members on BHF ! Viv.

This is the weighing house c1930. (Edit. This date is most probably incorrect. See posts below). I think this building is just visible in the photo in post #51 (left side of photo).

Is the chimney just visible to the right in the weighing house image, the one Finona refers to in post #74? Viv.

40D8BC33-A52A-4778-BD49-A34DFD454345.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you sure about that date Viv. As I understand it the weighing bridge and house were not in the open at that time, and the complete market are was surrounded by walls after the market was extended. around the turn of the century. I seem to remember that as well around 1970.

Part of market around moat row c1905 (2).jpgPart of market around moat row c1905 (1).jpg

Can’t be sure Mike as it was on eBay using that date. Dates given are often incorrect. Viv.

I'm certain it must be before the extension was built around the turn of the century

Surely night work at Smithfield Market was common before the 1950s ? Or am I misunderstanding “First Night Success” ? Viv.

6C9AF587-3749-4458-82D4-80818521A422.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Possibly not Viv. Not sure what they mean by right work. As I remember it in the 60s I seem to remember they started at 4 or 5 am. The local pubs (there being strict licensing laws would have adjusted opening hours for their refreshment (opening at 5.00? and not opening in evening)

Back