• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smith Street School Hockley

hi pete..just noticed that you are from tower st..would that be upper or lower..would love to see any pics you may have of the street...there are about 6 or 7 pics of lower on the forum...

lyn

i have been given this school certificate by my cousin
does anybody know where this school was voilet was living in unett street hockley at the time
with thank josieimg963.jpg

where was this school

Hi Josie. This is listed on the British History online site. Certainly seems to be in Hockley, but afraid not much more detail. Viv.

2esyzyre.jpg

And Smith Street School seems to have replaced the temporary Unett Street Board School, according to this National Archives extract. Viv.

azuqyje3.jpg

Re: where was this school

thank you viv as i had never heard of smith school i wondered where it was
josie

Smith st school is shown below on the c 1889 map. the street running accross the top left corner is Hockley St, and the one you can just see at the bottom right corner is Harford St.

map_c_1889_smith_st_school.jpg

Josie, Here is a photo of the school, not a very good one I'm afraid.

Attachments

• Newtown Smith St School opened 1876.JPG
    Newtown Smith St School opened 1876.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 45
Back