• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Park (Victoria Park)

The grange closed in1959 , the Coronet in 63 and the Kingston in 1967 but was a bingo hall for around 30 years Maria

The Grange sounds like the one? It was on the right hand side going down the hill towards the railway station under a bridge going towards downtown Brum Eddie do you remember a bike shop on Golden Hillock road above the Small Heath Park? John

John,

I do remember a cycle shop just outside Small Heath Park. Cannot remember the name. It was around the junction of Golden Hillock Road/Cooksey Road/Wordsworth Road, if my memory, and road names, still serve me right. I remember buying bits and pieces there. I also remember the park keeper in Small Heath Park telling me off for riding my bike in the park. Eddie

It could be Scots cycles, when I was fourteen I paid weekly for a racing bike they built it in the shop. It was just opposite the Co op

Scotts Cycles were at 543 Coventry Rd Small Heath near the junction with Wordsworth Rd until the late 60's or early 70's. As the sign on the photo says they were established in 1905 so they must have had another premises elsewhere if they only took over the Coventry Rd shop from Greys (earlier photo) after 1931.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd Scotts Cycles (2.jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd Scotts Cycles (2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 44
Billy Gameson had a shop at 112 Golden Hillock Road Small Heath does anyone have a photo of it? John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

Old Brit

Are you sure of the number and when exactly was this (what year). This photo should show 112 about halfway down on the right between the post office (Byron Rd) and the Esso garage (Waverley Rd) but as you can see it looks like just houses.

Attachments

• Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd  - Byron Rd.JPG
    Small Heath Golden Hillock Rd - Byron Rd.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 55
Phil
The 1964 Kellys losts 112 golden hillock road as William H Gameson, but no shop is mentioned. It is entered as if it is a private address.

I am aware that old brit (John) left the UK in 1957, so I believe that the shop John is referring to would be in the late forties or early fifties. Eddie

No 112 is Mrs Evelyn Maud Mitchell in Kellys 1944 up to 1962, then William Gameson, but they all look like private addresses

In 1950 there was a Gameson Cycles Ltd (Cycle Mfrs) at 19 Great Brook St, Nechells Birmingham 7, that would be right up by Lawley Street.

Do you think it's possible that sometime later that he started working from home in a back shed or something like that?

That is very likely, but also, I have no kellys for 1951-54. so he could have appeared in those

just checked my kellys and from at least 1944 until 1962 it was a mrs evelyn maud mitchell at 112 golden hillock road..

lyn

I've been looking at the maps for the mid 50's to see if they can tell us anything. This map is dated 1955 and shows that at that time some of the houses were indeed turned over to commercial by the fact that the front gardens had been removed. I've numbered the houses to the best of my ability (Mike does it much better so perhaps he might check it for me). Its seems at that time number 112 was unaltered and possessed no large workshop at the rear.

n.b. Sorry at the bottom end of the map, I see I have put 140, followed by 136. Obviously it should be 140 followed by 138.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 31
One of the houses either 136 or 138 sold cakes & the one time champion motorbike sidecar rider Chris Vincents wife worked there. It has happy memories for me as I was at Waverley from 1955-60.

Back