• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Slums

Chesh

proper brummie kid
Can anyone point me in the right direction, I am trying to find information on the 'poorer' areas on living in Birmingham during the 19c. Is their any sites that have a great deal of info, or any books published?

You could try :
Living Back to Back by Chris Upton, Phillimore 2003 ISBN 1 86077 321 4
mike

Kathleen Dayus, 'Her People', "the moving story of a working-class Birmingham childhood". Virago paperback ISBN 0-8068-275-7.

Graham.

Hi Chesdh., I think one the poorer areas was Balsall Heath and this forum is well versed on the way things were in the 1920/30 for the people living round there.
I was born in Hick Street in 1930, back to back houses
outside wooden privies, my parents and six children lived in a two bedroomed hovel, thats the only way to
discribe them, when we moved out to Yardley Wood it
was like heaven!Although the area was the people who lived there were the salt of the earth, no one had much, but my Mom and Dad used to tell me they helped each
and looked for each other, not like nowadays wherehalf
the people dont know who lives next door.

One of the worst slum areas of Brum was, surprisingly enough, the area adjacent to Colmore Row, on the Livery Street side. This was the site of Joseph Chamberlain's original slum-clearance, but I don't know the precise date - maybe the 1880's. The other really poor area in the 19th century was that around Garrison Lane.

I believe Summer Lane was quite respectable during most of the 19th century, due to the very large number of trades and small businesses based there, which must have thrived at a time when Brum was 'the workshop of the world'.

Big Gee

ChesH, in an article by Carl Chinn in the Birmingham Evening Mail, Saturday 18th February 2006, he told how Joseph Chamberlain wanted to sweep away the slums "Close to the Council House and the middle class shops of Bull Street, lay a clutch of short streets many of which were filled with dilapidated dwellings that were homes to some of the poorest Brummies. The death rate was twice that of wealthy Edgbaston, sickness and poverty stalked the district. .......... the aim was achieved by an Act of Parliament ............ One of them (streets) was The Gullett, short and narrow it became infamous and was supposedly the domain of ruffians and villans. In reality its people were amongst the poorest in the city and were mostly widows, children and the elderly.

Another was London Prentice Street which was declaimed as a "nasty, dirty, stinking thoroughfare". But it was also home to the poorest, many of whom were migrants from the west of Ireland..........Demolitions began in August 1879 ........

I kept this article because my g. grandparents were living at 42 London Prentice Street in 1881.

Try 'Birmingham...The Sinister Side by Steve Jones.

First 15 or 20 pages re slum housing, the rest is entertaining if nothing else.

According to it St Marys Ward was the worst place turn of the century, anybody got any idea where it was ?

Sylvia,
My gt.grandparents also lived in London Prentice St,their name was Proud.
Would like to know more about this oddly named St.can you point me in the right direction bab?.

img088.jpg
The worst slums were those in, or close to the city centre. This was exposed in the following article from The Graphic, 1876.
The article read.....Nowadays, the closely packed houses of the older districts are deserted by the rich, and when they are in a state of decay, are tennanted by the very poor who crowd them to an extent never contemplated by those who designed and built them. Intemperance, improvidence and uncleanliness are confirmed and intensified by the miserable character of these habitations. Birmingham has in it's central districts a miserable region of damp, dilapidation and decay where the deaths are twice as numerous as in Edgbaston, young children die especially fast and there is more bugs than babies...... End of article.
It was to improve these conditions that the housing acts of the 1860s and 1870s were passed.

Just out of inyerest, there is only one Henry Attwood listed in the period 1870-76, a boot & shoe maker, but he was at 10 Upper ryland St, which did not look like that (it was next to a amll alley, but not a pointed building

Looks similar to a picture that was posted sometime ago showing The Gullet. Not sure if I kept it anywhere but I will try and find it.

I used to love walking especially in the warm summer days around the old back to backs in Ladywood, and Winson Green, smelling the old sooty walls and the uneven pavements I was really sad when they knocked some of them down, but of course I did't live in them, but it summed up Old Birmingham to me and I still remember them.
paul

I thought that as well at first Jayell, but the shape of the shop is different

The_Gullet_1.jpg

Here is a picture of The Gullet that I think Phil put on some time ago. I'm not sure if I can get it large enough though.View attachment 73241

It is indeed a drawing of the Gullet and the Hope & Anchor public house that was demolished during the Chamberlain clearance of Lichfield St at the beginning of the 20th century.

Phil

Attachments

• City Corner of The Gullet & Stafford St Hope & Anchor the most notorious pub in Birmingham .jpg
    City Corner of The Gullet & Stafford St Hope & Anchor the most notorious pub in Birmingham .jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 64
ive got this one of the gullet judy ive also got another one somewhere so will try and find it..

Gullet202x.jpg

Thanks Lyn. I've also got about another 3 or 4 of The Gullet but they are ones that Phil put on. Bet you had to be tough to live there!

Judy

yes judy i think you would have to have been very tough..the pic i am looking for shows about 4 men and i think a woman standing in the gullet...it looks very scary to me...

thats the one liz..it really gives me the creeps...thanks for posting it for us...

lyn

I can't imagine what it must have been like to live in such a place. Not only must it have a frightening place to live but the sanitation must have been awful. My own 2 x gt.grandfather died in 1871 of Typhoid in a Court in Great Russell Street.

Judy

judy have you seen the BAGOT ST 1900 thread yet...if you go to post 30 i have posted a list of how many died from verious diseases in 1903..typhoid was the highest killer..i dont want to imagine how bad life was then...

lyn

61b4cuj+aKL__SS500_.jpg
The caption with this one merely says, 'Birmingham slum clearance 1875'.

A name for a notorious street that has cropped up in my family research is London Prentice St.but I haven't found out much about it.
Does anyone know anything about it?.

hi ray...not another one for the LPS club lol...there should be 2 threads for this st including some pics i think one thread maybe under the maps and mapping section...reputed to be the worst street to live in...any probs locating get back to me...

ray go to london prentice st rope walk under the maps and mapping thread....

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn,I might be bothering you later:friendly_wink:.Have just had a look at a thread started be Jayell,it was very interesting,this is one snippet from there.

“I went to the Gullet again -I find as many openings - dark passagesback courts in this Gullet, as probably there isin the Gullet of a Shark. In one of these Ientered a house - I saw six femalesat card playing, and all of themalmost in a statue of nudity - Oh!How serious, and how responsible is the workof a town missionary”​
Key
I think I have been in similar places....

oh dear ray im even more scared of that gullet now lol...is the one jayell started the one on the maps and mapping thread..

Back