• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sixties Music

H

harborne

What were your favouries in the sixties? A couple of mine were Paranoid by Black Sabbath and See Emily Play by Pink Floyd.

Chris :)

My favourites change, probably daily. As I said in another thread, 1967 was, to my mind, saw the very best of music. For instance, the other day, I came across From The Underworld by The Herd - fabulous lyrics and production.

"Out of the land of shadows and darkness
We were returning towards the morning light
Almost in reach of places I knew
Escaping the ghosts of yesterday

You were behind me following closely
"Don't turn around now, I heard you whisper in my ear
"If you should turn now, all that you won
Will vanish just like a passing dream"

Just on the very verge of the morning
Daylight was dawning, freedom was but a step away
Now with the deep dark river behind us
What could go wrong if I stayed strong in mind?

What was the sudden lapse into madness
What was the urge that turned my head around to look at you?
What was the stubborn will to destroy
The love and the joy I nearly held?

Three times the thunder roared in my ears
In all of my years I'll see that lost look in your eyes
As, with a sigh like smoke in the wind
You slipped from my grasp into the waiting shadows

So much I longed to say, but my touch found
Only the empty air and a black nights coldness
Into another world you entered
And never again I can reclaim you"

I didn't realise you was that old Paul until I read your posting on the 1956 topic........ >:D

To ME 1967 was the year that pop music grew up.....songs like Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields, Ruby Tuesday, Waterloo Sunset, the song the split the hollies King Midas, Hole In My Shoe and the last hit of 67 Hello Goodbye I can listen too time and time again, plus many more Excerpt From A Teenage Opera, From The Underworld, And then you had the Albums like Between the Buttons, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Disraeli Gears,Their Satanic Magesties Request and Mr. Fantasy.

In 1967 I just about became a teenager, and I didn't know what most of the above were singing about, but I liked the sound of the music and still do....... O0.......roll on to the late 60's early 70's JETHRO TULL RULES OK

Now your talking, I agree with all the above except to say that the sixties as a whole were a fantastic time for music. What about Steppenwolf, and Simon & Garfunkel, the Stones.... to name but a tiny few. So much to influence us as teenagers. Great Music.... Paul Simon especially.

Jethro Tull Ive come to appreciate as I got older. They were really quite important I reckon and made some brilliant music .

A lot of the music was nice in the sixties, there was The Searchers, The Hollies, but to my mind the best years were 1967 and 68. After that more depressive sounds started creeping in. The very first record I bought was Barry McGuire (?) singing Eve of Destruction, then I heard the Beatles, and that was that, I was hooked.

Besides Derek Taylor's "Twenty Years Ago Today" I am also reading "Shout", Philip Norman's biography of the Beatles. Both are a must for anyone interested in the music of the 60s era.

John K Colin said:
I didn't realise you was that old Paul until I read your posting on the 1956 topic........ >:D

My mother used to rock the pram to Lonnie Donegan to get me to sleep. ;)

I remember his "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour..." and yes, it did!

Anything by PJ PROBY. This guy has the most fantastic vocal range. ( As you might imagine, I,ve been a huge fan for over 40 years, and still collecting. ) Barry.

The Herd were brilliant. Thanks for the lyrics Oisin; I'd forgotten em.

Chris

The BEACH BOYS. Ho! those care free days of sun sea sand and those bronzed ladies of the SOUTH WEST. Some great days.

Aston I am now got my recording of David Jacobs programme on its on Sundays at 11.00pm magic:)

i met and saw PJ.PROBY at the cresta club solihull, he sang maria without an music or backing group, it was electric, boy what a voice he has,
he is still belting them out, but after his heart attack he has slowed down a bit

Jake I know he had a good voice but the main thing I can remember about him was his trousers ripping!

Just remembered another Brum group who we used to follow all over Brum to see, and they where THE TONICS. They where a three piece group that did middle of the road, soft ballad, type of stuff, and they where very good. Unfortunately I cant remember any of their names. Only that the singer wore specs. Funny where that one came from all of a sudden. Barry.

I'm listening to the Michael Parkinson show on Radio 2 as I type this. Always preferred the Big Bands, Sinatra, Tony Benett, Ella and all that jazz!
Mind you....The Rockin' Berries, The Move and Stevie Winwood were all worth listening to.
My husband's cousin Tony Hobson used to play with the Eagle Jazz Band. Sadly, he died recently but the band plays on....as they say.

Last edited:
i met and saw PJ.PROBY at the cresta club solihull
Jake I only saw Max Wall & Vince Hill there in the 60s but always had a good time in the place:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pet Sounds, imho, is one of the best lp's of that kind of music ever made and
I first owned it in l968 and played it every day and loudly on Saturdays. I borrowed a copy from the library a couple of years ago (cd) form and we made a copy even though it's difficult to do it turned out fine. I'll have a play today.

Pet Sounds, imho, is one of the best lp's of that kind of music ever made and
I first owned it in l968 .
It was released May 1966 and I have got through 2 LPs since and my Lady got me CD Christmas 2002 with Mono & Stero recording on it. Plus 1 Bonus Track entitled 'Hang On To Your Ego':)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another group from the 60s. THE UGLYS. Anyone remember them ? When I started my first week at work,after leaving school, I was invited to the firms dance night at the end of the week. The group on that night were The Uglys. It also happened to be the day that they released their first record, ( which I bought, and still have, the following day ). I ended up buying their first three singles, and am proud to say they are still in my collection now. Barry.

The Uglys.

Thanks for the picture postied. I know for a fact I have a pic too somewhere, that my Mother got for me when they visited The Birmingham Evening Mail offices, where she worked in the canteen. If I can find it, I will try and put it on here. Regards, Barry.

Osin, I have just rung for tickets only 9 single scattered seats available. Oh well perhaps they will tour............

Sorry 'bout that, MomaP I only got notification from a friend today. This is all the info he sent in his email:

Brum Rocks 'Live'

12 May 2007

Rockers.jpg

cid:image001.jpg@01C78327.5FA63600

cid:image001.jpg@01C78327.5FA63600

Show times and booking
Only limted seats available - please call Box Office for details: 01543 412121.
For the children of the 60's and late 50's in Birmingham rock'n'roll music was introduced to them by bands in their local clubs. Clubs like The Cedar, The Carlton, The Adelphi Ballroom, The Belfry and many more...

Bands like The Move, Danny King & The Royals, The John Bull Breed, The M&B 5, Carl Wayne & The Vikings, Mike Sheridan & The Nightriders, Denny Laine & The Diplomats and The Modernairs to name just a few....

Recently Laurie Hornsby wrote two wonderful books tracing the history of the clubs and, more importantly, the bands.

This tour brings together Birmingham's rock'n'roll heroes, whilst Laurie tells the story they will bang out the tunes and the memories will come flooding back.

No problem Oisin you weren't to know the tickets would sell that fast. Its good news realy as they are still so popular. Lets hope they do another show.

The Modernairs

the The Modernairs were regulars at the ritz york road kings heath,
the ritz changed to a bingo hall, but has now been demolished,
anyone remember dancing at the dell omberslade road stirchley,
concrete floor in the park, i seem to remember johnny dankworth playing there before he was famous, great if it did not rain.

Sorry folks but I have to disagree with you about sixties music. Here's an opening for a debate then.

I was never "into" pop music, such as The Beatles, Stones and the groups already mentioned etc etc.

Give me Soul, Tamla Motown and Jazz anytime.

Fay

Fans of yesterday

The Ritz Kings Heath is where it all happened! Every Saturday night, sometimes on a Friday too, we would see all the up and coming groups there, I missed out on the Beatles when they were there, I wasn't impressed by them then! How I regret that stupid decision of mine not to go! At the Odean and the Hippodrome we would flock to see Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Billy Fury, Adam Faith and all on the same bill! Today its just one artist or maybe two? We would wait at the stage door hoping for a glimpse of our idols, I never got to meet any, but a few of my school mates did.
I became an instant fan of the Beach Boys after seeing them at the Odean, Went to see them at the NIA a couple of years ago, but like me they sound a bit off now! Saw Gene Pitney last year at Symphony Hall, brilliant! so sad he died two days later in Cardiff And he looked so fit!
I still like rock, soul, Tamla Motown but my knees don't let me dance anymore!

Barbara Howells

Back