• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sir William Nott

The Baron

master brummie
Sir William Nott was my Great grand Uncle.can any one help re his family or his life in India with the British Army around 1800/ 1900 :culpability:

mikejee thank you for your post on Sir William great read must get the books for our family tree records. I am still to find the actual place of his birth I I now his Mother & father were Wed in Hoburn but just cannot find his birth place ?
Thanks again
Keith

Sounds like this might be him . It is downloadable, or you can read online :
https://archive.org/details/memoirsandcorre02stocgoog
there is a bit in wikipedia also at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Nott

Keith,
Have you seen these?
This article is from The Blackburn Standard dated Wednesday 8th January 1845 it states that he died on Wednesday 1st January 1845 and he was born at PONTGARNEY, where his father was an innkeeper and mail-contractor.

The second article is from the The Derby Mercury (also dated Wednesday 8th January 1845). It states:
He was the second son of Mr Nott of PORTGARNEY, NEAR CARMARTHEN who was for many years the proprietor of The Ivy Bush Hotel and an extensive mail contractor.
The family have maternally descended from the Harveys of Norfolk.
William Nott was born 1782 and married 1805? the daughter of Henry Scomboe Esq an attorney in the Supreme Court of Calcutta.
There is also some info on his army career. He died in his 63rd year.

Polly

Attachments

• nott_wed_08_jan_1845_blackburn_standard.JPG
    nott_wed_08_jan_1845_blackburn_standard.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 2
  • nott_wed_08_jan_1845_the_derby_mercury.JPG
    nott_wed_08_jan_1845_the_derby_mercury.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 3
Further articles give his cause of death as enlargement of the heart.
He was twice married - first wife the daughter of Mr.Henry SWINHOE (previous article said Scomboe)
This article is from The Ipswich Journal Saturday 11th January 1845

Attachments

• nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_1.JPG
    nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_1.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1
  • nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_2.JPG
    nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_2.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1
  • nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_3.JPG
    nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_3.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1
  • nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_4.JPG
    nott_sat_11_jan_1845_ipswich_journal_4.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1
Keith in the memoirs that mikejee posted the link for it says that William Nott was born on 20th January 1783. My understanding from reading it is that the family were living on a farm in NEATH and that is where William started School. They moved to Carmarthen and took over the Ivy Bush Inn in 1794 - William would have been 11 then.
So it seems William was born in NEATH not Carmarthen.

Keith, this article states he was born at Neath, Glamorganshire in 1780 and was 65 when he died in Carmarthen.
His second wife seems to have been much younger than him as it states that when he died Lady Nott was scarcely more than 20 years of age.
article is from The Standard, London, Friday 3rd January 1845

Attachments

• nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_1.JPG
    nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_1.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
  • nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_2.JPG
    nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_2.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_3.JPG
    nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_3.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1
  • nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_4.JPG
    nott_the_standard_03_jan_1845_4.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
Thank you all for the great input. just for your info Sir Williams Sister Wed A Mr Hobday & My Great Grandad Wed one of Mr Henry Nott Hobdays little girls The Eagle & Tun Banbury Street being one of the inn's that they had in BIRMINGHAM.
Thanks again
Keith

Thats interesting keith. While looking through the papers for Nott I found this and wondered if it was one of yours:
Berrow's Worcester Journal dated Saturday 8th June 1878
Marriages: Haywood - Hobday June 4th at Boldmere Church, Charles Henry Haywood of The Hawthornes, Wylde Green to Henrietta Nott eldest daughter of Henry Nott Hobday of Birmingham

Thats interesting keith. While looking through the papers for Nott I found this and wondered if it was one of yours:
Berrow's Worcester Journal dated Saturday 8th June 1878
Marriages: Haywood - Hobday June 4th at Boldmere Church, Charles Henry Haywood of The Hawthornes, Wylde Green to Henrietta Nott eldest daughter of Henry Nott Hobday of Birmingham
If that Henry Nott Hobday is landlord of the Eagle & Tun Banbury St Birmingham then YES they are mine ;0))

Back