• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silversmiths and factories

S

sh

This site has perked my interest.

When did the metal (white metal - silver) "factories" start in Birmingham.

Interesting to me because my Ashforth relatives were silversmiths; my g-grandfather (silversmith, journeyman) left Aston and immigrated to USA around 1883 because he was not in concert with what was going on in this business.

He settled in Connecticut and practiced his craft there. A couple of his sons, including my grandfather (in Cincinnati, Ohio), continued on as silversmiths. BUT eventually that craft died out in our Ashforth family.

sh

I dont think anyone could say..........as Buckles were plated in 1659 and made with silver ...Firmins were making Silverbuttons in 1700's and loads of other firms making everything from Tableware to toothpicks

Metal factories in England

Okay; I was thinking incorrectly. The indistrial revolution began around 18th century, so of course this was much before my g-grandfather was born.

It must have been something else in the silver smith business that he didn't like.

thanks a bunch, sh

Last edited by a moderator:
NATIONAL HISTORY TREASURE..SILVERSMITHS J W EVANS BIRMINGHAM

NATIONAL HERITAGE. Has just taken charge of W J EVANS Birmingham
Hundred of thousands of pounds worth of stock.
There were buckets everywhere catching the rain.
they made tea pots and that sort of thing, the type of things no longer wanted.
It closed down two weeks ago....Cat:)

Bernard, that is so sad. It would be so good if someone could take over and run it as a museum. The Jewellery Museum is the same it's the old Jewellers Smith and Pepper, well worth a visit. It would be great to see a silver works added. I hope someone will come up with something to save it. Just look how popular the Back to Back houses are in Inge Street! The area could be made a real jewel of the city with these places opened up as museums and we would visit wouldn't we.:)

I should imagine that "silversmiths" are a thing of the past. Pity. Further, I should imagine that this art form has been taken over by automation - save for the current "artists" that do exist here and there, though not on the scale as when my g-grandfather labored as one, and who knowes the truth? We know as a marketing tool this art form is probable gone. sh:(

Far from it - Silversmiths (and Jewellers) still exist in both the UK and USA and are well represented in the Jewellery Quarter. A Google search will throw up many modern silversmiths.

We bought handmade wedding rings recently which were made to our design and cheaper than on the high Street.

The large scale factories may no longer exist that is true but the one featured was [it would appear] in a sorry state of repair with water coming through the roof.

Having been round the Jewellery Museum recently our forefathers were well acquainted with their own standard of mass manufacture helped no doubt by Matthew Boulton.

Hi sh from Florida,,:cool: nice place,,

Actually as Cat & t,others have indicated,the "Silversmiths" re Jewelry industry
is still going very strongly in Birmingham,,Hockley (Jewelry Quarter) & its fame is Worldwide
for Quality,, some of its earlier (your GG,dads era) work is highly valued & sought by collectors(Auctions) etc.
There are excellent Technical/Craft training establishments in B,ham of present that
provide the Learning of these "Artisan Skills",
& You are correct in Automation of certain aspects of that Industry,, mainly the "mass production slilver-Ware" EPNS etc
with Robots (ABB/Fanuc/Siemens et al) speeding production/economics eh!
But the "Hands-on" Artisan craftwork still thrives well today,aided by modern technology, not subversed by it,
Silver & other Precious metals has been in the past an "unpleasant" working environment,
Arsenic, Mercury, Lead poisoning, Acids & pickling vat work, Electro-plating etc
All with very little Extraction or "Health & Safety" as is correct of today,
Your GG,daddy probably left for better shores to escape the Unhealthy & cramped working & living conditions of those times,
So its lucky for you that they were brave enough to pick up sticks :)

ps "White"-metal also meant,,Whitemetal Bearings,, & early Household goods manufacture,
So a "Journey-man" as your GGdaddy would have been Multi-skilled,,
As a (B,ham Aston/Hockley trained) Engineer myself,, i salute & respect Your Ancestors,
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you for the info on this thread - it also explains why many of my silversmith's in 1840 - 50's died quite young!

Kaz

Thanks for that John most informative. I always take my jewellery for repair to the Jewellery Quarter I recently had my engagement ring re set as the stones were comming loose. Also there is a wondefull jewellery school in the area.

I like Wendy, take my repairs to the jewellery quarter. I have a watch made in 1940, and the bracelet has needed repair a couple of times. First time I took it to a local Jewellers shop, it cost me £60. the next time I was coming up to Birmingham and popped it in to a jeweller, he did the repair wihin the hour and charged me a fiver. I love the feel of the area, everyone so friendly and helpful. I also have a gt grannie buried in Warstone Lane, so I usually have a quiet few minutes there before leaving.

Hi sh from Florida,,:cool: nice place,,

Actually as Cat & t,others have indicated,the "Silversmiths" re Jewelry industry
is still going very strongly in Birmingham,,Hockley (Jewelry Quarter) & its fame is Worldwide
for Quality,, some of its earlier (your GG,dads era) work is highly valued & sought by collectors(Auctions) etc.
There are excellent Technical/Craft training establishments in B,ham of present that
provide the Learning of these "Artisan Skills",
& You are correct in Automation of certain aspects of that Industry,, mainly the "mass production slilver-Ware" EPNS etc
with Robots (ABB/Fanuc/Siemens et al) speeding production/economics eh!
But the "Hands-on" Artisan craftwork still thrives well today,aided by modern technology, not subversed by it,
Silver & other Precious metals has been in the past an "unpleasant" working environment,
Arsenic, Mercury, Lead poisoning, Acids & pickling vat work, Electro-plating etc
All with very little Extraction or "Health & Safety" as is correct of today,
Your GG,daddy probably left for better shores to escape the Unhealthy & cramped working & living conditions of those times,
So its lucky for you that they were brave enough to pick up sticks :)

ps "White"-metal also meant,,Whitemetal Bearings,, & early Household goods manufacture,
So a "Journey-man" as your GGdaddy would have been Multi-skilled,,
As a (B,ham Aston/Hockley trained) Engineer myself,, i salute & respect Your Ancestors,
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Thanks so much for posting all the extra info; nice to know so much helpful information!

sh

Back