• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Boxes for Long Term Service/Gladys Villers

Jill Davis

Brummie babby
How many years service did an employee have to put in to be given one of the engraved silver boxes? Gladys Villers has recently died aged 97 and she had one. We are writing a eulogy for her funeral and would like to mention her lifelong work for Lucas.

How many years service did an employee have to put in to be given one of the engraved silver boxes? Gladys Villers has recently died aged 97 and she had one. We are writing a eulogy for her funeral and would like to mention her lifelong work for Lucas.
My aunt, Lilian Bennett, had a silver box from Lucas's and I'm pretty sure it was for 25 years as she then had a plaque for 40 years service. My cousins are coming over tomorrow and I'll ask them to confirm this as one of them still has the box.

First thought would be that it would be the same as a silver anniversary - 25 years.
Yes I thought it probably was but I know she worked there for many more years than that and just wanted to check. Unfortunately the box went in the house clearance so I wasn't sure.

My aunt, Lilian Bennett, had a silver box from Lucas's and I'm pretty sure it was for 25 years as she then had a plaque for 40 years service. My cousins are coming over tomorrow and I'll ask them to confirm this as one of them still has the box.
Yes I think it was but know she worked there for many more years than that. Don't know if she ever got a plaque. Everything went in the house clearance so I can't check.

Good Morning Jill, sorry for the delay. I had to wait for Stephen to get back to home territory so that he could look at both items. He messaged me this morning with the following information:

Lucas awards:
Copper plaque presented 1950 for 25 years service
Silver box presented 1965 for 40 years service
Keep well all
Sx

Hope this helps with the eulogy.

PS. Jill, did you see the other thread for Lucas's? I posted a picture of Christmas 1951 and if my maths are right your aunt would have been working there then. Lucas Christmas 1951.jpg

Back