• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops on High Street in the City.

This photo shows some of the shops up to Martineau St opposite The Oxford Restaurant and News Theatre. It shows Hilton's, Batchelor's and Henry's.

Phil

Lost photo replaced by what I believe is same as the original

City High St - Carrs Lane.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall the Co-op with its tunnel that ran under High Street linking the two shops on either side of the road and of course the Four Seasons Restaurant in the basement - very posh to a small boys mind. Later on I worked there in Fancy Goods then the DIY in the basement. Of course I also remember Littlewoods and Times Furnishing (down the Rotunda end of the street)

I loved the Coop i remember the Restaurant and little cafe,i once spent a weeks wages on a pair of shoes in the Coop,

Another long time resident of the High St Times Furnishing, in it's time a landmark before it was dwarfed by the Rotunda across the road. I don't think I ever as much even went through the doors of the shop, and therefore am unable to say little about it. I certainly never purchased any furniture from there.

Phil
Lost photo replaced by identical photo

City High St Times Furnishing.JPG

great pics phil....numbers 2 and 3 are brillient...

thanks for posting them

lyn

I've always noticed that there is always plenty of mention of the childrens hairdressing salon at Lewis's but rarely is the one at the Co op on the High Street mentioned. Mind you I have to be honest I never was taken to that one for a hair cut and only I think was I taken to Lewis's twice.

Phil

Lost photo replaced by identical photo

City High St Co op Childrens Hairdressing Dept .jpg

Four views along the High Street, looking toward Dale End. These date from 1930 through to 1954.

Phil

Lost photos replaced, but not necessarily by the same as the originals

City High St Bull St 1954 .jpgCity High St - Dale End 1957.JPGCity High St-Dale End 1930 .jpgCity High Street  (3).JPG

Thanks Phil., it's amazing how quickly you forget and it becomes almost unrecognisable (to me anyway).

More great photos phil, I am trying to work out how this looks today - not sure am thinking of the right place.
Polly

Polly

I don't know what age group you are so I don't know what landmarks to use to try to identify the location. Well its at the end of the high St at the junction of Albert St, Bull St, Dale End and the High St and once Martineau St.

I think that this is about the best photo I can come up with showing roughly the location.

Phil

No idea what this lost photo was, but am replacing it with what I think answers the question from Streetview

ScreenHunter 7053.jpg

More great photos phil, I am trying to work out how this looks today - not sure am thinking of the right place.
Polly
I think its down near Toys r US if that's still there Oasis market perhaps

Imagine standing outside MacDonalds, the first view is looking up High St, and the second is looking down Dale End. So looking at Phils picture number 1, you would be standing where that white building is.

Terry

Last edited:
Thanks, I was thinking of the right place - I was thinking of the area that the ramp was in (that went up to the outdoor market and Oasis indoor market). It looked so lovely in the old photos. thanks for posting them all.
Polly

wonderful pics again phil....terry the view we have now just does not have the same appeal does it....

lyn

A few more of the High St through the years, from different places and taken in different directions. The one that I noticed was the one advertising Turkish Baths. I had never heard of one of those on the High St.

Phil

1 Photo replaced by what I am sure is same as the original
City%20High%20Street%20 turkish baths.jpg

CityHighStreet.jpg
CityHighStLloyds1stBank.jpg

CityHighStCityArcade.jpg
CityHighSt2.jpg

Trouble is Phil your too young . The High St Turkish Baths , 74 High St, (under various proprietors) were there from 1879 till between 1913 and 1915, after which nos 74 & 75 were occupied by Harry Evans, curator. Don’t know if he ran a museum.
mike

Mike

I know Turkish Baths were popular during those times, most municipal baths had a Turkish Baths included within them when they first opened. Strange name for the person in charge "Curator"

Phil

Sorry Phil, didn't make it clear. The curator character was in 1915 , when it was no longer described as a turkish Bath. I put it in only because the description struck me, as you, as strange.
Mike

I think Phil was doing that tongue in cheek stuff,Mike,great photos

The one photo shows the start of the new build Littlewoods store on The High St, The next shows the completed new Littlewoods Store.

The third photo looks taken from a high vantage point, Looking straight down the High St and Dale End in 1962. But 1962 was too early for the Rotunda so it must have been some other tall building, but there again it doesn't pay to trust dates given with these photos. Whatever you can see the roof of the completed Littlewoods building with its car park on the roof (see the lone car).

There seems to be a load of work going on in the background around The Masshouse area. They must have just been laying out Priory Circus.

Phil

Two of the lost photos replaced by what I am sure are the same as the original ones

City High St  Littlewoods.jpgCity High St Littlwoods Store Site.jpg

CityHighStLittlwoodsStoreSite.jpg

What great photos Phil. I didn't know there was a car park on the top of Littlewoods - is it still there?
I wonder what building the 'high up' photo was taken from?
I am really enjoying all your photos - we are very lucky you have them.
Polly

What great photos Phil. I didn't know there was a car park on the top of Littlewoods - is it still there?
I wonder what building the 'high up' photo was taken from?
I am really enjoying all your photos - we are very lucky you have them.
Polly

Yes it's still there, we re asphalted the roof about 11-12 years ago. There is a lift what you put your car in to get to the roof. We was frightened of it breaking down, especially when it was time to go home. It was an experience, I can tell you.

Terry

Hi terry, I don't like the sound of that lift that you put your car in. is it still in use today? Can you still park up there?
Polly

Polly

The more I look at the photo, the more sure I am it was taken from the Rotunda. The angle is just right, more or less straight down the High St.

Work started on the Rotunda in 1961 and it was completed in 1965. If the photo was taken in 1962 most of the superstructure would have been up by then. So after obtaining the right permission it would have been easy to take the photo.

Phil

I love the photos Phil, but you know I much prefer the old high street, with all its old buildings and what great lamp post's. The place had great character then what a pity we didn't just restore our old buildings like other great city's. When will we learn from our mistakes?

Back