• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Hi all, mom used to take me shopping to Small Heath regulary in the late 40s, and i remember a shop close to greenlane that when you paid for your goods the money was put into a metal container and a cord was pulled, the container would shoot up to a small window close to the ceiling and any change would be sent back the same way. I can remember this quite clearly but i cant remember the name of the shop or what it sold.

During the 1950's my uncle, Harry Morgan, was the licencee of The Wellington, in Muntz Street. His wife's name was Elizabeth. Occasionally my dad used to go over on a Sunday to help out behind the bar. Sometimes we went with him. We lived in Ladywood at the time and marvelled at the large garden the pub had. If it was still there today it would probably be smaller that I remember.

After they retired from The Wellington they took on an off licence further along the Coventry Road. I think it was in the Deakins Road area.

Hi to all....Iv'e been checking out this site for ages....unfortunately with no fresh pics of my own to upload....but it's got to be the best site in existence for imformation and pictorial history. Having said that...May I ask a question ? Does anyone remember 'Quicksave' on Coventry Road Small Heath? It was directly opposite the old main post office. 1970's - 80's I think. Can anyone recall what the business was there prior to it becoming Quicksave?

Hi Redken,
I have a few pictures of the very stretch of the Cov you are referring to, the first looks kike 1940's/1950's and it was then a car dealer/auctions, the second was from 1967 and it was then a Mobil petrol station, this was then knocked down to make way for the current buildings in the late 60's I think, with a new Woolworth's(the old one was located on the opposite side of the road going towards town) next to the Brighton arms, and then the row of about six shop units, the end one furthest from Woolworths became Kwiksave.
I remember in the earlly 70's, Kwiksave along with Tesco's on the Cov used to employ a night shift to rip off the old price stickers on all the cans and packs as prices were going up so fast the prices had to be increased daily, of course now it's done electronically and noone notices, the govt then tells you inflation is only 2%,but I digress,enjoy the pics.

View attachment 88239View attachment 88240View attachment 88241

Hi Walt. nice of you to remember it...but you didn't say what the business was before it became 'Quicksave'...sorry its spelt this way kwiksave

Hi, I worked at Glarry's gown shop on the Cov when I left school in the 50's, can anyone remember Priest's the hardware shop just above Glarry's he kept the stock upon shelves all up the wall & used very tall ladders to get it down he knew where everything was & he was alway's smiling, & Bywaters that sold the freshly cooked hot hocks that were steaming in the window.

Pat

For the life of me i cant remember, and i used to go in the St Andrews restaurant next door to the left. I do remember a a used car sales pitch somewhere around by there in the 50's.
Wal.

Hi, I worked at Glarry's gown shop on the Cov when I left school in the 50's, can anyone remember Priest's the hardware shop

Yes Pat I remember Priests shop, you're right about him knowing where everything was, bit like the shop in The Two Ronnies 'four candles' sketch.
Nick

If i remember it was down nearly facing The Wrexham Pub by Woolworths i went in there a couple of times it was very cluttered but the owner knew exactly where to find anything.
Wal.

If i remember it was down nearly facing The Wrexham Pub by Woolworths i went in there a couple of times it was very cluttered but the owner knew exactly where to find anything.
Wal.

That's the one 3 doors down from Woolworth,s, he'd sell you small amounts as well if you only wanted six screws, you got them wrapped in a bit of newspaper.
Nick

Hi,
I think the cook shop now was Robotthams where they sold the hocks, Bywater was the slaughterhouse in Greenway street where I lived, there was also Shellys chemist on the same side up past Woolworths & Littlewoods the son was in the magic circle if I remember right.

Pat

The shop the chap up the ladder is working on was Turners seed merchants when I knew it, had to go there for my Father to get the pigeon corn.

Nick

Nick the description is - Over the bank is J Neal Dentist and on the right W Green boot and shoe maker at 329 and Arthur Lewis at 331.

Its a great picture of the window cleaner though.

Carol

Nick the description is - Over the bank is J Neal Dentist and on the right W Green boot and shoe maker at 329 and Arthur Lewis at 331.

Its a great picture of the window cleaner though.

Carol

Hi Pat, in the 1969 'Kellys' Turners is at 335 Coventry Rd.

s Shop  Coventry Rd Small Heath 1928.JPG

Hi, Don't know if this will work, first time I have sent a photo, this was my fathers greengrocers shop on Coventry rd taken about 1927.. I can find out the number but it was a couple of doors up from the Oxford pub that was on the corner of Greenway st.

keeping my fingers crossed, Pat

The second picture down after the library is Green Lane not Coventry Road the later one of R j Case is in Spring Road Tyseley but he does have some quality site , the Acocks Green site his churches site fantastic so I suppose the odd mistake is inevitable

The second picture down after the library is Green Lane not Coventry Road the later one of R j Case is in Spring Road Tyseley but he does have some quality site , the Acocks Green site his churches site fantastic so I suppose the odd mistake is inevitable
I don't remember those houses at all. Do you remember the name of the alleyway of terraced houses off Cattell Road just up from the Greenway Pub facing the Blues Ground?:05.18-flustered:.

I think there were two or tree Brumgum I'll have a look the only one I can find named is Mount Terrace but I'm sure that's not the one that ran to Cattell Road

Back