• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

I think there were two or tree Brumgum I'll have a look the only one I can find named is Mount Terrace but I'm sure that's not the one that ran to Cattell Road
Everyone used to flow through them after the match to get a bus on the Cov but I've never seen any pictures of them anywhere.

According to the 1889 map mount terrace did go through to Cattell rd, and the other were back to backs - Berkeley place

map_c_1889_terraces_cov2C_rd_cattell_rd.jpg

Hi Mike re you map #137 is there any chance of enlarging the bit that shows what looks like trees and I think it says Templefield House ?
nick

I remember a fire on Coventry rd I always thought it was Littlewoods store about 1958, dont know if that was another fire I know Hitchens ? catalogue shop took over Littlewoods shop.
There were 2 terraces that led from Greenway st to Cattell rd ..one was called Berkeley Place the other was Mount Terrace it was a wider terrace with houses both sides part of the way up then through to Cattel rd.

Pat

Hi Pat your probably right but I thought the fire was in a furniture come electrical shop next to Littlewoods , Dale Forty or Cavendish Woodhouse but I'm often wrong . Thanks for the info on the terraces in Greenway Street Bernie

It was Littlewood's that was burnt out in a fire and the shop next door was Dale Forte, the event occurred in 1980.

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd Dale Forty Fire 1980.JPG
    Small Heath Coventry Rd Dale Forty Fire 1980.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 70
Nick
I think this is what you want

map_c_1889_Templefield_house2C_Cattell_road.jpg

Thanks Mike, when I was a 'nipper' we called it the 'haunted house' big old place, it had a tower you could climb and see all over the area, someone told us the chap that owned it was the one that later built all the houses round there, and by going up the tower could keep his eye on what the builders were doing.
Nick

Hi Berniew
I think we were both right about the fire I didn't remember Dale Forte next door , but I don't think 1980 was the right year it was definatley 1959/60. I remember watchin the fire & it was before I got married in 1961.

Pat

yes i remember that and they had a rabbit hanging outside.please please if any one has photos please post.there was garage there on opposite side in on corner of muntz st and somerville until late 70s to 80s if im not mistaken

My brother and sister in law owned the newsagent shop in Muntz St., almost opposite Somerville Road. They didn't live on the premises though. This would be 1970 to 1973. Does anyone remember them?

I had family living at 106 Muntz Street - does anyone have photos or maps of the area showing that property please?

I had family living at 106 Muntz Street - does anyone have photos or maps of the area showing that property please?
I lived at 107 Muntz st late 1960's early 1970's, I was 15 our nextdoor neighbour was a Mrs Atchinson, the bus stop was across the road from our house, but unfortunatly no pictures.

Morning,
I have stumbled across this post whilst trying to learn some more information about Muntz Street. I have been researching my family tree for a while now and my 3 x great uncle Arthur Pinchess had a fish and chip shop at 15 Muntz St. He is on the 1911 census as being there with his wife and son, Arthur George who takes over the shop in the 30's. Does anybody have any photographs of this area or of the chip shop at all? Thank you.

Does anyone remember the name of the Old Church & Sunday school that sat between the Coventry road & Wright Street, just up from the junction of Muntz st & Coventry road past the pub. It was demolished along with my Grandma's house 104 Wright street in the late 60's early 70's to make way for a retail development, I think Brierleys was the supermarket. My Great Grandfather was a caretaker there & my Family lived in & around Wright Street before, during & after the war name of Wood. A family called Bluck lived next door I think maybe Janet was one of the children would be in her 70's now ?? I have been trying to find photos online so if you have any to post they would be appreciated.

Back