• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Muntz Street photos

Attachments

• Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Baker Street.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Baker Street.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Grange Road-White Lion Pub.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Grange Road-White Lion Pub.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Malt Shovel (6).jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Malt Shovel (6).jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Pub on Hawkes Street corner (2) Viewed From ...jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Pub on Hawkes Street corner (2) Viewed From ...jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Public House  - Baker Street on LHS.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Small Arms Public House - Baker Street on LHS.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house - Dawson Street (1).jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house - Dawson Street (1).jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house and Dawson Street on RHS.jpg
    Small Heath - Muntz Street in colour - Wellington public house and Dawson Street on RHS.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 67
In the 60s & 70s they started to knock down a lot of pubs. In the 80s only the White Lion, the Nest and the Malt Shovel survived the Muntz Street demolition. There used to be loads of pubs and loads of Irish in Small Heath. My favourites pubs were the Gunmakers, the Brighton and the Nest.

Both Henry David Nutting, and Percy Christopher Nutting served in WWI.

Neither of them entered France, so were possibly Territorial Army, these are the details;

Henry David Nutting. 835729 Royal Field Artillery.

Percy Clarence Nutting. 85667 19th Coy. 8th Res Btn Machine Gun Corps.

Barrie.
Percy Clarence dis serve in France and was injured returned home patched up and sent back out again. He said if there's another I'm not going they can bloody well shoot me I don't care cause I've been shot before

There was a 'cardrome?' on the Cov Road also. My late uncle was a security man there for a while, but I cannot remember the name, further up on the same side was Kwik Save, Tesco, and of course Woolies. Nat West Bank opposite.
I worked at Payne’s Shoe Repairs a few doors along from the Cardrome, back in the mid 60’s when I left school. We were next door to a shop which I think was called Lisa Marie or something similar.

I worked at Payne’s Shoe Repairs a few doors along from the Cardrome, back in the mid 60’s when I left school. We were next door to a shop which I think was called Lisa Marie or something similar.
I think it was Lisa Gaye ladies' outfitter, 448 Coventry Road.

Back