• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shops In Ward End & Fox & Goose

Yes, I worked at Wrensons 627 Washwood heath Road in 1959, and I also worked at Wrensons at the Fox and Goose.

Derek Hudson

Thank you very much for these super photos, this is much further back than I can remember, but the Wrensons I worked in is on the photo, the second shop along.

Many thanks again.

Derek Hudson

HI DEREKW
Just been reading your thread on the fox and goose shopping centre it was a handy little centre some times it could be really buzzing
some times dead as a door nail but what i thought on this reminded me the other day of my dutchess and myself
was only dicussing the wall paper scene for redecoing our house ;and we was asking ourselves where does one go today and find a independant
wall paper shop today as all these do it your self stores have sqeezed the little wall paper shops out of bussiness now
they have become exstint as we find and those big stores are all the same in dezign a complete lot of rubbish and highly expensive
with there dezigns all the ones we knew arounmd brum have all disapeared
i went through the fox and goose last week and sen how run down it is now what a shame along with the ward end exservice mans club;
sruffy rd and a bombed out club; totally discusting ; i think and i notice southalls have gone completely flattened
best wishes Astonian;;

HI DEREKW
Just been reading your thread on the fox and goose shopping centre it was a handy little centre some times it could be really buzzing
some times dead as a door nail but what i thought on this reminded me the other day of my dutchess and myself
was only dicussing the wall paper scene for redecoing our house ;and we was asking ourselves where does one go today and find a independant
wall paper shop today as all these do it your self stores have sqeezed the little wall paper shops out of bussiness now
they have become exstint as we find and those big stores are all the same in dezign a complete lot of rubbish and highly expensive
with there dezigns all the ones we knew arounmd brum have all disapeared
i went through the fox and goose last week and sen how run down it is now what a shame along with the ward end exservice mans club;
sruffy rd and a bombed out club; totally discusting ; i think and i notice southalls have gone completely flattened
best wishes Astonian;;
There's still a family run traditional wallpaper shop at the Yew Tree Yardley on Church Road, just up from Wetherspoons (The Old Woolworths).

HI BRUMGUM
How are you hope you are well ; many thanks for that information its been a good while since i have been throu the yew tree
but anyway i will pop that way in the week and check it out ;as i said they are far few and afar ;i really appreciate that info
down here in worc its limited i,m afraid wedo not have seem to caught up with the timesand its still a slow pace of life i,m afraid
as i recall from my childhood days spent out here thanks again ; have your self a nice day best wishes Astonian

HI BRUMGUM
How are you hope you are well ; many thanks for that information its been a good while since i have been throu the yew tree
but anyway i will pop that way in the week and check it out ;as i said they are far few and afar ;i really appreciate that info
down here in worc its limited i,m afraid wedo not have seem to caught up with the timesand its still a slow pace of life i,m afraid
as i recall from my childhood days spent out here thanks again ; have your self a nice day best wishes Astonian

You're welcome, actually the Yew Tree although probably not what it was is still quite lively with quite a few independent shops. We have two butchers a greengrocers that sells some excellent plants and shrubs on the corner of Hobmoor Rd, a pet and garden shop a decent carpet shop, net and curtain shop and now even a new toy shop together with the usual chains such as subway, Iceland and the CO-OP etc.

I used to run the Pet Shop on Washwood Heath Road in the late sixties, early seventies, does anyone remember this. We had a Macaw (parrot) who spent a lot of his time on the pavement (on his perch of course) and we had a monkey as well. On this stretch of road there was a Braggs cake shop, Redifusion electrical store, Ted Haines Greengrocers, Fishmongers and butchers. On the other side of the road there was a Co-Op and a jewellers. It was a thriving little shopping centre in those days, wonder what it is like today.

There was also Perkins the seed merchant on the corner of Bromford Lane and Coleshill road,a very knowledgeable man in all aspects of gardening,I did quite a lot of work for him at his property in Sutton.

I used to run the Pet Shop on Washwood Heath Road in the late sixties, early seventies, does anyone remember this. We had a Macaw (parrot) who spent a lot of his time on the pavement (on his perch of course) and we had a monkey as well. On this stretch of road there was a Braggs cake shop, Redifusion electrical store, Ted Haines Greengrocers, Fishmongers and butchers. On the other side of the road there was a Co-Op and a jewellers. It was a thriving little shopping centre in those days, wonder what it is like today.
Hi kate the parrot rings a bell, if you'll pardon the pun. I used to go up there every week to the record shop at the back of the fox & goose. Regards rick

Hi Katie, I Remember the pet shop and I think my friend worked there for a while early 70's her name was Barbara Cox.

Back