• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shop in Eversley Rd (off Green Lane)

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hi,
sadly one of my notebooks has gone walkabout & it contained the name of the shopkeepers in the shop at the top of EVERSLEY ROAD, close to Green Lane in Small Heath. In the late 1940s/1950's my mother would ask me to do some small errands for the couple who had the shop & lived behind the shop. My mother must have been friends with the lady (or maybe their family) as I remember being in their house after the shop was closed. I would like to do some research on this couple...but I need to be reminded of their names if possible ????

Thanks,
Margaret.

In 1949 there are four shops listed in Eversley Road,
30, Florence Walker
54, Eva Williams.
70, Thos. King
116, Maud Watson.
Any help.

Colin

Thank you for that info Colin.... I am still not certain which of the ladies is the elderly shopkeeper I remember, but I do appreciate your help very much.

Regards,
Margaret.

We used to live at 72 Eversley road, we were the one side of the entry and Mr King's shop (Tom king) was the other side. I could never understand how my mom could go in there and get stuff for free !! ?? I remember going in one hot sunny day with some friends (we were about 6 or 7yrs old) . I bravely asked for 5 jubblies, and Mr King gave them to us free !!! A few days later my mom went mad at me saying that " 5 Jubblies was on her strap " !! ??? Lol.... i dint know what that was till years later :eek:
I also remember that Mr king was never in the shop, we had to knock on the counter and shout MR. KING !!!!! and he would come out from the back room.

oh debbie your poor mom:D lol...great memories keep them coming..well remember the jubblies...could get them in orange or lemon flavour by us..

all the best

lyn

Back