• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon

We've got so much in common. Was the dentist horror at the school clinic in Harvey Road up by the Tivoli? My dad took me there after a dental inspection at school. Such unfeeling and unsympathetic dentists and nurses there, an absolute nightmare. My grandad had some hand clippers and he used to cut both my and my uncle's hair in the back garden at his house in Billesley.

We've got so much in common. Was the dentist horror at the school clinic in Harvey Road up by the Tivoli? My dad took me there after a dental inspection at school. Such unfeeling and unsympathetic dentists and nurses there, an absolute nightmare. My grandad had some hand clippers and he used to cut both my and my uncle's hair in the back garden at his house in Billesley.
I have no idea where it was but it was instigated by a school dental inspection. It resulted in my dad cutting my hair until my first or 2nd year in seniors. I guess that sort of basin cut could be likened to the peaky blinders. See school photo of class 2.1 in earlier post. I'm first row sitting on the far left. The lad next to me was my mate John Davis who's younger sister died in the Birmingham pub bombings. He was unfortunate too and died in an accident overseas. Sad times.

Elmdon Boy ,Malcom Page lived in Brays road. ( I think)
Girl Herrick did live in Brays Road in the house next to the entry to the Pond.Peter Murphy also lived in the same road, no. 86 I think and when he left Dick Neal lived there.

We've got so much in common. Was the dentist horror at the school clinic in Harvey Road up by the Tivoli? My dad took me there after a dental inspection at school. Such unfeeling and unsympathetic dentists and nurses there, an absolute nightmare. My grandad had some hand clippers and he used to cut both my and my uncle's hair in the back garden at his house in Billesley.[/QI use to get my hair cut at Billy Hadens shop on Church Rd across from the bakery then get a piece of yummy warm bead

I believed that Gil Merrick also lived in a house on one of the roads at the back of the Good Companions P.H.

In the same vicinity does anyone remember this bungalow in Sheaf Lane. It looks so familiar but I cant place it. It may have been near to where the Plume Tyre Service is now. Incidentally the Plume tyre site was the location of a greengrocers that was a house or bungalow. The shop was accessed from the side - did this belong to the co-op or was it an independent?

Hi Mbenne, I lived in Common lane as a child in the 50's and then in Horrell rd after getting married . I used to walk up Sheaf lane with my mum, my gran and my two young children to shop at the wheat sheaf. I think that shop eventually became a small hairdressers, my mother in law went there every saturday if I am correct, it was a over 40 years ago. Further along sheaf lane down nearer to woolworths on sheaf lane , there was another bungalow set back a little that was a very popular green grocers, and it was accessed from the side , I used to go there for the veggies. Think it may have been an independent. Happy days!

Shops at the bottom of Cranes Park Road, The shop in the centre is Woodroffs. Not sure when this was taken as I remember there being a milk vending machine outside. Never recall it working and don't know who owned it (Woodroffs?)- it just disappeared one day - does anyone remember it.

https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/who-laments-passing-of-old-milk-machine.html

The chemist was to the far left - not in view, the first port of call for collecting prescriptions after visiting Dr Awad's surgery at no. 27 across the road.

Oh yes I remember Woodroffs, it was on the corner it had hardware and household goods in one side and I think you could go through an internal door through to the sweet shop.
If I remember correctly around November they stocked fireworks. I think next door there was a butcher and next to that a hairdressers then a haberdashery store sold wool cottons etc. Was the chemist the last shop in the row or maybe the haberdashery was no longer there!?
The other side of Woodroffs was at one time a veggie shop then was it the fish and chip
shop??

I remember our mom calling the greengrocers on Sheaf Lane Brown's Nursery, she used to take us in there when we were kids.

Wendylee when you lived in Common Lane in the 50s did you remember the newsagents in Brays Road, by the roundabout with Barrows Lane? Singletons. It was run by my lovely Mum and Dad 1956 till 1959 and I lived there.
After 1959 it was run by my uncle and we moved out, but still called Singletons. He wasn't nice, didn't like him.

Wendylee when you lived in Common Lane in the 50s did you remember the newsagents in Brays Road, by the roundabout with Barrows Lane? Singletons. It was run by my lovely Mum and Dad 1956 till 1959 and I lived there.
After 1959 it was run by my uncle and we moved out, but still called Singletons. He wasn't nice, didn't like him.

Hi Elmdon boy, I walked past the shop on the way to school every day, I went to lyndon green primary school. Sometimes I would go in to buy sweets, blackjacks, sherbet fountains fruit salads etc. I would have been going in there while your family owned it.
Happy days.

Nice to know you went in the shop to buy your sweets wendylee. You would have probably been served by my Mum or Dad.
I went to Lyndon Green primary too 1956 TO 1959, I was aged 7 to 10 I wonder if we were both in the same class

Nice to know you went in the shop to buy your sweets wendylee. You would have probably been served by my Mum or Dad.
I went to Lyndon Green primary too 1956 TO 1959, I was aged 7 to 10 I wonder if we were both in the same class
Hi Elmdon boy I was at Lyndon Green from from 1955 to round 1961/2? You may have been in the year ahead of me . Cant remember many teachers names haha.
Miss Jones in infants rings a bell.

Hi Elmdon boy I was at Lyndon Green from from 1955 to round 1961/2? You may have been in the year ahead of me . Cant remember many teachers names haha.
Miss Jones in infants rings a bell.

No wendylee I cant remember any of the teachers either, I wonder why that is.
I do remember the map of the British Isles painted on the playground. Do you?

No wendylee I cant remember any of the teachers either, I wonder why that is.
I do remember the map of the British Isles painted on the playground. Do you?
Ha Ha no I can't remember the map of British isles.
I remember in the infant school in the winter, if your parents paid you had hot chocolate brought round in a jug and it was served in mottled blue or orange plastic cups . I also remember doing square dancing in the hall in infants , also dancing round the maypole on may day, what strange things we remember!

Wendylee I remember being in a class on the top floor of the junior school block, and being already on top of a hill as well as being on the 2nd or 3rd floor, you could see right over to Elmdon park.
Didn't know it was Elmdon park at the time.
Do you remember the house just over the road from the Junior school entrance, that sold sweets from the front door.
What about the pond just behind the houses opposite the school.
Remember watching Popeye and Olive Oil cartoons in the main hall at Christmas.

Wendylee I remember being in a class on the top floor of the junior school block, and being already on top of a hill as well as being on the 2nd or 3rd floor, you could see right over to Elmdon park.
Didn't know it was Elmdon park at the time.
Do you remember the house just over the road from the Junior school entrance, that sold sweets from the front door.
What about the pond just behind the houses opposite the school.
Remember watching Popeye and Olive Oil cartoons in the main hall at Christmas.

Hi Elmdon boy, Yes I remember the shop that sold sweets and being at one stay in a class on the top floor.
I remember going over the pond in the winter when it got frozen over.
Cant remember the popeye cartoons haha.
Did you move away from sheldon? Did you go to the sheldon comp?

Last edited:
Yes Wendylee I moved from Brays Road in the summer of 1959 to a house near the Wheatsheaf pub on the Cov Road. Over, just into Solihull. Still had one year of Junior school to do, which I did at Hatchford Brook in Old Load Lane. From there I went to Lyndon High School in Daylesford Rd to finish my sentence ;). Actually I didn't mind school most of the time.

Yes Wendylee I moved from Brays Road in the summer of 1959 to a house near the Wheatsheaf pub on the Cov Road. Over, just into Solihull. Still had one year of Junior school to do, which I did at Hatchford Brook in Old Load Lane. From there I went to Lyndon High School in Daylesford Rd to finish my sentence ;). Actually I didn't mind school most of the time.

Hi Elmdon Boy

I know Lyndon School quite well as I watched it being built from my bedroom window in Lyndon Rd.
Knew Mr Clark the Asst Head as he was a personal friend of my Dad.
To add to that, Dad was one of the founding Governors.
I also remember when Princess Margaret attended some function (it may have been the official opening of the school - I don't remember). But I do remember a bit of controversy over that function.
Council (?) spent what was considered a considerable amount of money fitting out a special loo for the Princess to the extent that the 'porcelain fittings' were a powder blue colour.
All very nice but she didn't go near it. As soon as the visit was over, the lot got ripped out.

OldBrummie.

Hi old brummie.
I remember Clicker Clark as we used to call him, due to his false leg which clicked as he walked.
You could hear him come down the corridor.
He was the Physics master and very strict. Everyone feared him to the degree that if you didn't grasp what he said in class, and you put up your hand to ask him to explain it again he would tell you off for not listening, resulting in lines. This resulted in no one asking questions.
The result off this was a very poor pass rate in physics when GCEs came round.
In my opinion not a good teacher.
Never knew how he lost his leg, do you know.
What was he like from your memory out of school with you father. Probably a different character.

Hi old brummie.
I remember Clicker Clark as we used to call him, due to his false leg which clicked as he walked.
You could hear him come down the corridor.
He was the Physics master and very strict. Everyone feared him to the degree that if you didn't grasp what he said in class, and you put up your hand to ask him to explain it again he would tell you off for not listening, resulting in lines. This resulted in no one asking questions.
The result off this was a very poor pass rate in physics when GCEs came round.
In my opinion not a good teacher.
Never knew how he lost his leg, do you know.
What was he like from your memory out of school with you father. Probably a different character.

Well Elmdon Boy, I also knew him as "Clicker Clark" though certainly not to his face. Funny thing is, I never knew about his leg. So to this day, it's a mystery.
Our association was initially because of Dad's connection to the school as a Governor. But out of school, he was a good mechanic where cars were concerned and he assisted Dad remove the engine of our car (a Rover if my memory serves) and helped recondition it. He lived in Lyndon Road just past Butler Road with Mrs C and a daughter. I don't recall the daughter's name but I think she was a bit older than me.
I also remember attending a performance of a Gilbert & Sullivan (operetta?) on stage in Lyndon School. If I recall, there was a balcony at the rear of the hall and our family was seated next to Mr Moore, the headmaster and his family. My brother was friends with his son.

OldBrummie.

Yes Old Brummie there was a balcony in the Boys school Hall.
In morning assembley it was the later year boys who would sit up there.
I was there when Jack Moore was the headmaster. He would come into morning assembly when all the boys were in. We all had to stand as he approached walking down the central aisle with his full head mortar and gown flowing.
I don't remember him ever taking any lessons. What he did all day after the assembly I don't know.
He died I believe from a heart attack over a weekend during my 2nd year.
He lived in Stratford on Avon, and was in the RAF during the war as a pilot . Could you confirm that for me.
Clicker Clarke took over as head for a short time until they appointed a Mr Carter whom I believe was there for many years, well after I left.
I never remember him either taking any classes.
Just what did they do all day, 5 days a week. Sounds like a cushy job to me.

Yes Old Brummie there was a balcony in the Boys school Hall.
In morning assembley it was the later year boys who would sit up there.
I was there when Jack Moore was the headmaster. He would come into morning assembly when all the boys were in. We all had to stand as he approached walking down the central aisle with his full head mortar and gown flowing.
I don't remember him ever taking any lessons. What he did all day after the assembly I don't know.
He died I believe from a heart attack over a weekend during my 2nd year.
He lived in Stratford on Avon, and was in the RAF during the war as a pilot . Could you confirm that for me.
Clicker Clarke took over as head for a short time until they appointed a Mr Carter whom I believe was there for many years, well after I left.
I never remember him either taking any classes.
Just what did they do all day, 5 days a week. Sounds like a cushy job to me.

The only thing I remember about Jack Moore was that he lived (just after the school opened) in Lyndon Road, on the right going towards Olton, just past Chapel Fields School. Clicker Clarke lived on the same side of Lyndon Road but just before Chapel Fields School. I don't recall much else about Jack Moore and I don't recall him moving to Stratford.

Chapel Fields was my first (infants and Junior) school then I went to Lode Heath Secondary - Grammar School Stream.

OldBrummie.

Hi stars, Those photos were actually taken over the last couple of years. The "eyesore" bit is a development of Apartments, but halfway through the building process, the funds were withdrawn and building ceased. It remained in limbo for a long long time and then recently a firm started taking down the mid section and I believe they are now carrying on with building the other section closest to the New Coventry Road.
I remember the name of Caudles, Mom used to work in the newsagents in those shops you mentioned and a lot of the drivers used to go into the shop. Mom would probably remember your father if he was there after the shops were built. I remember one driver, we used to call him Taffy, Dave was his proper name and I bumped into him about 5 years ago at the Tyseley Railway Club..
We have chatted about the Cartwrights before stars, mine came from the Black Country and as far as I know had no rellies over this way.

I have just found a couple of early photos of "The Whirlwind" but I cannot make out if the Burgess and Garfield name is showing.

View attachment 74909View attachment 74910
1. 1967
2. 1973 with the then new underpass, which has now been filled in and replaced with a surface crossing.....thank goodness !!!
Just seen this thread about Burgess and Garfields, it wasn't exactly in Sheldon but up Yardley opposite Dolland Aitchinsons the Opticians factory site, now something else. It was accessed from Geraldine Road (now blocked off) from the Coventry road, as I can see from Google there is still a car sales on the site, also they had the site where the Holiday Inn express is, I know this as spent many visits to it as a lad with my dad when he picked up his new cars from there at least once or twice a year when the new reg came out.

The Holiday Inn is the site of Burgess and Garfield. The current hotel was converted from a building formerly known as Burgess House, owned by Bristol Street Motors and occupied by 3 of its companies, BSG Finance, Forward Insurance and Autolease (the latter company was sold originally to Lloyds and is now Lex Autolease close to the airport on the site of the cottages near Tigers Island).

Last edited:
Like everyone else I think the photos are great. It's all part of our past that is mostly memories these days.
Now I have a question that is not quite Sheldon but not far off. My memory recalls "The Swan" at Yardley.
Travelling into Birmingham, on the left was Arthur Painter - Funeral Director and next to him if I recall, the Library.
On the oposite corner the Rover Dealership Colliers and was there not a Corporation Bus Shed next to Colliers?
Now if one turns left off Coventry Road and travels 2 or 3 hundred yards, I seem to recall a Garage and I think it
was called "Jauncey's". Anyone remember this and does the family owned business still exist?

OldBrummie
Hello I have purchased a 1925 Model t ford its featured in "Birmingham in the sixties" on page 50 with the Lord Mayor and Mayoress at the wheel in 1964 and the lettering on the car says Burgess and Garfield Ltd. I have not found a photo of this garage but would love to see one. The car is featured outside Llyons tearoom. I was very interested in your blog there seems to be so little about the garage on the net.

Last edited:
There was a garage owned by Garfield's on Station Road Erdington in the 60's. I think they moved to Sutton Road, oposite the Abby and then they were in Boldmere Road Sutton.

There was a garage owned by Garfield's on Station Road Erdington in the 60's. I think they moved to Sutton Road, oposite the Abby and then they were in Boldmere Road Sutton.
hi Morturn I,m not familiar with many of those roads, Ive always lived south of London and now in East Sussex, I am interested in Birmingham,s history I painted a picture of Kings Heath cinema and Darleston newsagents seen on DJ Nortons web site and my 1925 car was owned by Burgess And Garfield, thanks for info I will search out Station Road Erdington thanks! And a happy new year to you.
Does anybody have a photo of Burgess and Garfield ,Coventry Road ,Yardley. ?

Last edited:
hi Morturn I,m not familiar with many of those roads, Ive always lived south of London and now in East Sussex, I am interested in Birmingham,s history I painted a picture of Kings Heath cinema and Darleston newsagents seen on DJ Nortons web site and my 1925 car was owned by Burgess And Garfield, thanks for info I will search out Station Road Erdington thanks! And a happy new year to you.
Does anybody have a photo of Burgess and Garfield ,Coventry Road ,Yardley. ?
Garfields Edrington maybe a cycle shop!

Back