• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon Heath Comprehensive

Hiya Doug, Smith, couldnt remember surname but one of the few things I managed to do that year was write down the names of everyone. I am back row 2nd from right, Richard
Good grief it’s Cridders! I always had great respect for you in terms of your sporting prowess I’m probably everything I wasn’t until I found that, despite poor coordination, my legs could think for themselves and made me a good hockey goalkeeper. Thank you for always being kind to me and not making me feel inferior. I think you’re in Australia with lots of children? My memory is good. It comes of being a historian. You had a sister called Joy? At one point you went out with a girl with a long blonde pigtail and at one point got suspended for playing truant and we all went on strike!

Good grief it’s Cridders! I always had great respect for you in terms of your sporting prowess I’m probably everything I wasn’t until I found that, despite poor coordination, my legs could think for themselves and made me a good hockey goalkeeper. Thank you for always being kind to me and not making me feel inferior. I think you’re in Australia with lots of children? My memory is good. It comes of being a historian. You had a sister called Joy? At one point you went out with a girl with a long blonde pigtail and at one point got suspended for playing truant and we all went on strike!
Doug, guilty as charged. Someone I think Ian Burns phoned the Birmingham Evening Mail and made the claim, 'our headboy has been expelled for no good reason' and then it all blew up. I recall a reporter called me at home and asked a few questions. Before I knew it I had told him I was only up at the shops having an ice loll with my girlfriend ( partly true but we were heading away from school in school hours ) And then to my fathers delight the headline of the Mail the next day read something like , 'headboy and the dolly with the lolly'. Must have been a slow news week.

He-he! What happened next! Did ‘God’ forgive you! I’m going to have to find that headline. Those last few weeks are a blur at Sheldon. It must have been to do with the exams. I had a folder of my A level notes nicked which also disrupted things, Then the exams, then leaving and getting smashed in the library annex with a bottle of vodka and falling asleep kissing Jean Campbell..... ah well those were the days! I hope life has been kind to you?

He-he! What happened next! Did ‘God’ forgive you! I’m going to have to find that headline. Those last few weeks are a blur at Sheldon. It must have been to do with the exams. I had a folder of my A level notes nicked which also disrupted things, Then the exams, then leaving and getting smashed in the library annex with a bottle of vodka and falling asleep kissing Jean Campbell..... ah well those were the days! I hope life has been kind to you?
Well I can say my life hasn't been dull. Yes Smithy did relent and turned the expulsion into a suspension after my Mum and Dad turned up at school to meet him. You would have laughed, there's my Dad with his leg encased in a plaster cast as he had broken it at work, limping about trying to get a reduced sentence for me, a serious situation but comical like something out of Monty Python. Honestly I could write a book- in fact I did. Its called Balancing the Scales and although the main subject is the horror of the 1974 Pub Bombings there are moments of humour and snapshots of Brum and some of the people I've met- its a good story I think. If you ever hunted down that headline I would love to see it. Maybe we are getting off subject ie Birmingham History Forum but if you give me your email address we could keep in touch and reminisce some more

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Hi Richard I can’t see it in junk. As you can see I was advised to remove the email address. It’s my name with a dot between first and last name and then [email protected]
always safer to pass email addresses to another member via our private message system which is just that....private between the sender and recipient...just click on the envelope top of the page to start a conversation or click on the members user name

lyn

G'day, Oldallens,
I was at Sheldon Heath between 1955 and 1962 so our paths may have crossed. I am guessing that I was in the year ahead of you. I have some happy memories of the School.I was a busy person in those days (not like now when all I am looking for is a quiet life!) I was captain of the School's cricket XI, played in the football team, and later, in the rugby XV, captain of the chess team, editor of the School magazine ("Microcosm") and House Captain (Nightingale House). My form master was Cliff Stanley, a larger than life character who, I am told, died prematurely of a heart attack about twenty years ago. The Head Master was Joe Smith, a cold, very rational man. My most vivid memory of him was one occasion when I was due to play chess for Warwickshire at Cheltenham. Joe Smith, a very proficient chess player was also due to play for Warwickshire on one of their top boards and he kindly offered to give me a lift in his car. On the way back we ran into a very thick fog and somehow he managed to crash his car into the back of another car. Neither of us was badly hurt but shaken up. Incredibly luckily, another teacher from the School, Harvey Jones, happened to be passing us in his car and was able to transport us back to Birmingham. What a champion! I left Sheldon Heath in 1962 to go to Leeds University and in 1968, not long after graduation, emigrated to Australia (where I have happily resided since!) But occasionally I still get nostalgic about those distant school days and wonder what happened to everyone. I have fond memories of many of the teachers: Victor Skipp, the history master, Derek Briggs, the geography master, Alec Pearson, the Art master, Ms Roper-Nunne, the French teacher, Reg Summers, the Religious Education teacher, Reg Worrall, the maths teacher.just to name a few. The most formidable person in my memory was Hilda Roberts, the Deputy Head, who took us for elocution. She was very contemptuous of our Birmingham accents! Yes, happy days, mostly! What's your story, David?

Regards, Ray
I left Sheldon Heath in 1963 to go to the Technical College up the road. I remember Miss Roberts - she always wore a mortar board and cape for assemblies and measured the girls skirt lengths if she thought they were too short. She made two of us go to her office to tell us off for not closing our eyes in prayers. She took us for elocution - I remember her saying the only person in the class that could say "bath" rather than "barth" was a girl who had been born in Yorkshire. My mother was from Yorkshire, but that didn't count! She moved to an all girls school in Selly Oak I believe. I was in 1PX, based on good results from the 11 plus, but I gradually got moved around to RX, SX, and finally AX - which did not help my lack of confidence, but in the end I got all my "0" levels anyway

I must admit to liking Mrs Coombes, despite her reputation! Everyone in our form remembers to this day the demonstration she gave of corrective discipline. Each end of the school was in cruciform layout and she was taking us for maths. She looked across the angle into the adjacent classroom and, without a word, rocketed out of our class into the unsupervised class. She appeared back in our room within seconds propelling two worried looking youths in her bow wave. She addressed the first unfortunate “show this class what you were doing” she ordered. He threw his geometry compass into the floor. She then launched her attack, very forcefully slapping his face about half a dozen times. When this was over she ordered him to show us again, which he did, this resulted in a further episode of hard slapping. This was repeated a couple of more times and the lad’s face was crimson and covered in hand shaped welts. He then had an idea and in response to the now familiar order, he said “no miss”. Her response was “Defy me would you!” and he had another vicious slapping. She then turned to the other miscreant and promised him the same in the next lesson and this would be repeated throughout the day.
Those were the days!
Ted
Mrs Coombs took me for Maths and for some reason she hated me. Mind you she once sent me out of class to remove some makeup she thought I was wearing - I came back with it still on and she did not notice; presumably she thought I wouldn't dare. Her daughter Miss Coombs took us for Geography and she didn't like me much either. I was a quiet and shy but hard working pupil until I was 16 when I got a bit more stroppy!

Hi , I think Lyndon Green was opened around 1952 as my sister went to Stanville road and then transferred to Lyndon Green when it opened, she was born in 1946 I was born in 1950 and started there in 1955.
I started at Lyndon Green on the first day it opened - I was four and a half so it was probably the beginning of 1952. There was tape on the windows, it was so new.
I missed most of the first days as I had tonsilitis and had to have them out. But my infant teacher was lovely. Her name was Miss Llewelyn and her Welsh accent made me feel at home as my Welsh granny lived with us. I eventually was in Mr. Smith's class 18 for the last two years in the Junior school there. He was a brilliant teacher and left the same year as me as did our headmaster Mr. Taylor, I think they both went to work for Penguin Books, but I could be wrong. I went on to Sheldon Heath Comprehensive in the days when it had a grammar stream.

Do you remember mad Dougie French? One day I was walking along the ground floor science corridor past Ernie Palmer's biology lab heading towards the Middle School Hall with a pencil in my mouth. Dougie French was approaching from the opposite direction and he stopped me. "When I was a lad I was walking along with a gramaphone horn in my mouth when I tripped. The horn cut through the roof of my mouth and, had it gone a quarter of an inch further, it would have pierced my brain and I'd be even madder than I am now. You wouldn't want that would you? Now take that pencil out of your mouth."
They don't make them like that anymore!

My recollection from my time at Sheldon Heath 1958-1965 was that the Head of Lower School was Charlie Marshall with Mrs Coombs as his deputy. The head of Middle School was Mrs Southern and I can't remember who the deputy was although it may have been Mr Harvey Jones. The Head of Upper School was Mr Arnold with Miss Tulloch as his deputy and, of course the overall Headmaster was J E D Smith (known affectionately as Creeping Jesus but I cant remember why).

Hugh
Hello Hugh, we were in the same class at one point in our school life.

I started at Lyndon Green on the first day it opened - I was four and a half so it was probably the beginning of 1952. There was tape on the windows, it was so new.
I missed most of the first days as I had tonsilitis and had to have them out. But my infant teacher was lovely. Her name was Miss Llewelyn and her Welsh accent made me feel at home as my Welsh granny lived with us. I eventually was in Mr. Smith's class 18 for the last two years in the Junior school there. He was a brilliant teacher and left the same year as me as did our headmaster Mr. Taylor, I think they both went to work for Penguin Books, but I could be wrong. I went on to Sheldon Heath Comprehensive in the days when it had a grammar stream.
I was a pupil at Lyndon Green in the 1950s and for most of the last two years there I was in Mr Samuel's class. I was initially scared of him as he had a forceful manner and a variable temper especially if he had a cold. But I soon realised that he was an inspiring teacher. His task was to get us to " pass " the 11+ so there was plenty of English and Maths to get through but he leavened it with Drama, Projects, Music, Singing, Art, Science, Sport and the joy of learning. We seemed to spend a great deal of time in the playground playing football while the girls played skittle ball but he then made sure we worked hard afterwards. I think nearly all of us went on to grammar schools or the grammar stream in Sheldon Heath. He was the first teacher to show us local kids the possibilities that lay ahead and for that I shall always be grateful.

I left Sheldon Heath in 1963 to go to the Technical College up the road. I remember Miss Roberts - she always wore a mortar board and cape for assemblies and measured the girls skirt lengths if she thought they were too short. She made two of us go to her office to tell us off for not closing our eyes in prayers. She took us for elocution - I remember her saying the only person in the class that could say "bath" rather than "barth" was a girl who had been born in Yorkshire. My mother was from Yorkshire, but that didn't count! She moved to an all girls school in Selly Oak I believe. I was in 1PX, based on good results from the 11 plus, but I gradually got moved around to RX, SX, and finally AX - which did not help my lack of confidence, but in the end I got all my "0" levels anyway
We (wife and me) left the Comp in 1965 after battling through the 6th form. She was in PX and I was in RX. She went to Stanville.

Hi Richard, I’ve finally finished ‘Balancing the Scales’ which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. Well done! It’s a great read! The way you started off left me not certain and you kept throwing characters in and then, as you got into the main story I enjoyed it far more. I never knew that you were a Blues supporter! Unless that’s another twist in the pot? We could have had some great conversations as I too have Blue blood. Talking about twists and sleepers, the book is brilliantly plotted and very, very well written. I hope that it sells loads because it deserves to do so. It’s almost Peaky Blindersish! Film maybe? I’m not surprised at your skill however. I remember reading our last edition of Microcosm and finding your story about the man with a wooden leg who was bitten by a snake. I remember being shocked that you had written it as our paths rarely crossed in the Sixth Form. I’m sorry that you didn’t make it at Wolves as I can see you going on to be the next Trevor Brooking. Like you I also met the love of my life. We married in 1974 in the August before the pub bombings. We were expecting friends to come to stay that weekend. I went to the phonebox by the Three horseshoes on the Pershore Road, no home telephone in the those days. I hadn’t heard the news and didn’t know what my friend meant when he joked that I should look for a bomb in the telephone box. At that point neither us knew, and I hadn’t heard, the terrible impact of those bombs. I believe in Karma and so trust the people involved got their just deserts. I was teaching at Swanshurst then and the atmosphere in the school was very strange. For some time we had to practice bomb drill by going out in the playground. Anyway it has been lovely to make contact with you again. My very best wishes to you and your family.

Hey Doug, I have sent an email to you-might have gone to junk
Hi Richard, I’ve finally finished ‘Balancing the Scales’ which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. Well done! It’s a great read! The way you started off left me not certain and you kept throwing characters in and then, as you got into the main story I enjoyed it far more. I never knew that you were a Blues supporter! Unless that’s another twist in the pot? We could have had some great conversations as I too have Blue blood. Talking about twists and sleepers, the book is brilliantly plotted and very, very well written. I hope that it sells loads because it deserves to do so. It’s almost Peaky Blindersish! Film maybe? I’m not surprised at your skill however. I remember reading our last edition of Microcosm and finding your story about the man with a wooden leg who was bitten by a snake. I remember being shocked that you had written it as our paths rarely crossed in the Sixth Form. I’m sorry that you didn’t make it at Wolves as I can see you going on to be the next Trevor Brooking. Like you I also met the love of my life. We married in 1974 in the August before the pub bombings. We were expecting friends to come to stay that weekend. I went to the phonebox by the Three horseshoes on the Pershore Road, no home telephone in the those days. I hadn’t heard the news and didn’t know what my friend meant when he joked that I should look for a bomb in the telephone box. At that point neither us knew, and I hadn’t heard, the terrible impact of those bombs. I believe in Karma and so trust the people involved got their just deserts. I was teaching at Swanshurst then and the atmosphere in the school was very strange. For some time we had to practice bomb drill by going out in the playground. Anyway it has been lovely to make contact with you again. My very best wishes to you and your family.

Hi Doug, thanks for the kind words. Anyone who even attempts to write a book deserves my praise, its a long haul and not easy. Looking back, the idea germinated in 2005 but with work and life interrupting it took me until 2017 to complete it. I am proud of my achievement but if you want big sales you need contacts or an advanced knowledge of social media to get it out there. Marketing was and is a problem especially with me living 10,000 miles away from UK. But I am happy with the story which I wanted to tell. As with many books the author draws from his own experiences of life and characters hes met. My big brother Billy did run a cafe on the Bristol Road in Selly Oak, the character of Teddy Criglan ( his name pronounced as such by the underworld characters he associated with ) was my Uncle who really did have a hook for a hand and caused much mayhem around the town. He did work the markets with his scams too. It was said he was part of Eddie Fewtrells gang who met up with The Krays at Watford Gap to discourage any interest they may have in setting up in Birmingham. My wifes experience obviously was the centrepoint of the story around which I wove the plot.
Your being a Bluenose is good news - I have a little short story on how I became a Blues supporter, I will find it and send it on- kind regards Richard

Hi Doug, I found that short story and attach for your entertainment. I'm not sure this is in the right format but hopefully you can read it-regards Richard

Attachments

• THAT FOOTBALL SHIRT.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Richard,
I put your book on Sheldon Heath Appreciation Society on Facebook. Dave Craddock has just bought a copy. You get some nice comments!

He he! I like the story! In my case I was Blues because my father was born in Wright Street, near St.Andrews. He bought me a pair of football boots but quickly realised that I had two left feet. His older brother, my Uncle Alf, was a season ticket holder and used to take me to watch Yardley Ex-Servicemens’ Football team on a Sunday morning and Blues reserves on a Saturday. The first proper match I remember is the home leg of the League cup final.

My Husband was Ken Thomas, who taught Geography in the late 1950/early60s, 1st in the Lower school and then in the Middle school. I came to Sheldon as a student in 1960 and joined the Home Economics dept in 1961. We both left in 1963, and were married in 1964.
I'm writing this because Ken died earlier this year, and in sorting odds & ends I have found an early photo, possibly of the prefects, as the group also has Mr Smith, Mr Arnold, another male whose name escapes me (Reg someone?), and Miss Roberts sat in the middle. I also have a School magazine from 1959, a booklet of the Official Opening, and a booklet done by Ken for a Fieldwork in Ambleside in 1961. I also have Ken's mark books for 59-60, 60-61 & 61-62 !
I emailed the School under it's new name, asking if they'd like them, but have had nothing in reply. Does anyone have any idea of whether they might be of any interest or use to anyone before I dispose of them?

My Husband was Ken Thomas, who taught Geography in the late 1950/early60s, 1st in the Lower school and then in the Middle school. I came to Sheldon as a student in 1960 and joined the Home Economics dept in 1961. We both left in 1963, and were married in 1964.
I'm writing this because Ken died earlier this year, and in sorting odds & ends I have found an early photo, possibly of the prefects, as the group also has Mr Smith, Mr Arnold, another male whose name escapes me (Reg someone?), and Miss Roberts sat in the middle. I also have a School magazine from 1959, a booklet of the Official Opening, and a booklet done by Ken for a Fieldwork in Ambleside in 1961. I also have Ken's mark books for 59-60, 60-61 & 61-62 !
I emailed the School under it's new name, asking if they'd like them, but have had nothing in reply. Does anyone have any idea of whether they might be of any interest or use to anyone before I dispose of them?
Please do post them here, there is always an interest in old photographs.

It would be a pity not to save archive material from a very important Birmingham school.
I was in the first intake and my form teacher and geography teacher was Mr. Briggs.
I do not remember Ken Thomas (my brain is quite ancient) but I have posted an attachment which shows he was there from the very first day.
Many of the intake in the early years benefited from an excellent education. I am sure you are proud of his contribution to this.

Attachments

• sheldon heath teachers.JPG
    sheldon heath teachers.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Firstly my condolences for the loss of your husband and can imagine the hole that has created in your life. I was at Sheldon 1962-69. The Reg you are trying to remember is Reg Worrall. I taught history at Swanshurst School from 1974-2011 and am still connected with them. I have their archives and so could look after your archives should nothing else turn up. (I have my mark books and would hate them to be thrown away when I’m gone!)

My mom went to Sheldon heath but I'm not sure what years. Here name was Judy smith and was born in 1955. She lived at 125 the radleys with her mom Queenie and brother Peter, her sister Jackie and other sister Marlene.
My mom is on the left in the photo.

Just wondered if any one knew her back then.

Attachments

• momatsheldonheathcompithink.jpg
    momatsheldonheathcompithink.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 14
Back