• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shard End Australian Flats

The terminus is now at chelmsley wood shopping centre, What was the lonnie donegan show called so we can all see it if its on you tube

I can't find any reference to it anywhere, even on youtube. I presume it was called the Lonnie Donegan Show, though I really cannot remember.

Terry

I Live in Shard End, the Two Hands Pub closed down around christmas time last year and was demolished soon after. It makes way for a new development of houses.

I live in Water Orton but used to drink in the Two Hands for years, right up to it's closure....indeed, my son celebrated his 21st birthday there.
It was an honest, working class pub. I still miss it.

Ian

As far as I'm aware the TWO HANDS is still trading well it was a couple of weeks ago anyway.
The Cheshire Cat has gone, as has The Packhorse, The Harliquin, The Kingshurst, then The Mackadown went, the Meadway, the Lea Tavern, The Matchmaker (Boars Head), The Glebe, The Malthouse and The Manor House( Bulls Head), all good pubs in their hey day.
Believe me you wouldn't want to be living in any of those areas now!
To be honest i live in this area and it ain't all bad!, Shard End is very diverse. Some of it can be a bit rough but there had been a lot of redevelopment and renovation and some of it has been quite succesful.
I like living here to be honest.

Just to reserect this thread from the dead...........

Kitsland Road shops as I remember them but I could do with anyone else that could put names to the shops. I grew up on berrowside road (adjoining Kitsland) and would visit the shops every Saturday. My step dad even worked in and took over the butchers (Barry Johns butchers) he was the John half :)

On one side there was:

A bookies
Another shop which name evades me (on the end)
The Wool Shop - called Joyce's (I knew the family)
Browns Discount - was Liptons? (would sell random homewares & toys)
The Greengrocers
Barry johns Butchers - Not sure it was always called this but a really close family friend called 'Dave' was the butcher there for many years before moving to another shop in Shard End Crescent
Another shop which later become a chip shop then the lucky house chinese (which moved to lea village and is still there!) EDIT - I've been told this was a Bakery :)
An off license on the end

On the other side of the road (and still there)

Hair dressers
Co-Op (this shop became a Mace and bought the shop next door and expanded)
Another shop - this was the one that the mace expanded in to - I have no idea what it was
The Newsagents (now and off license)
The record/odd bits shop
The barbers (Trevors - was it Georges before? Believe it or not he is still there and it still looks exactly the same inside, he must be about 70 now and only opens for a few hours a week)

Can anyone else add to this and fill in the gaps?

Thank you

Alex.

https://www.btinternet.com/~keith.hoban/bobcat2s/newbobcats1.htm

A bit more nostalga for anyone who lived in the 'Austrailian'flats.

Two members of the Bobcats lived in the flats. I remember going to see them at the Lucarno when they won the Birmingham Bands competion. (I belive that a Kingshust Band called 'The Virus' also competed.

Does thia awake any memories?

regards

Bob
I remember in 1966 When I was a coach driver with Claribel Coaches (The original not the bus company) Picking up the group and some of their supporters from the Custard House in Blake Lane and taking them to the Anvil pub Sutton Coldfield and then a few weeks later I took them to the Adelphi ballroom in West Bromwich for a competition.

hello Alex, The one shop we visited a lot was Reilly's the grocers, next to the wool shop. They sold loose butter that had to be patted up & wrapped in grease proof paper.
We lived in the flats at the bottom of the grove in Hall Hays, we were one of the first families in there abt 1955, it was a lovely estate up until the 80's. My sisters & myself all went too Hillstone Infants & Juniors & then onto Longmeadow Secondry Modern for girls.
Lipton's was down on the Heathway as my aunt worked there.
The 55 bus terminus was next to an old Army camp that was derelict at the time, so coming back from Alum Rock (early days) we disembarked there & walked down Kitsland to get to Hall Hays.
people were talking of pubs as well, but The Raven wasn't mentioned, that was my grandad's local. Does anyone remember Roland O'Neill?
We remember the Austrailian flats been built, we used to play on the site, lost many a shoe in the mud ha!
Sorry can't help with anymore details
Jeanette

Hi guys
please find attached a great image of the Two Hands Pub with Melbourne House behind it and just to the left you can see Maitland House.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 32
I just came across the forum when i was checking to see if there was any pictures of the flats i live in when i was young fella.
The block i live in was call Fremantle House. I lived there from 1970 until 1973 when we moved to Bradley Road Shard End.
My mother Rose (a Scot) was a bar maid in the Two Hands pub and my father Ralph was never out of that pub. At the time the two Hands was run by Larry and Barbs who later moved on to New Zealand.

Funny i now live in Australia and have done for some 26 years and when i think back to those days and all the place names that come to mind are all from here in Oz.
I do have a few photos of myself outside Fremantle House (black & white) so when i get back to the UK in July i will find them and post them up.
Regards
Paul Stoker

Hi Paul, I also lived in Fremantle at No 31. We moved there 1958 and I left in 1969 when I got married although my parents lived there almost up until they were demolished. I was a regular in the Two Hands around that time and I remember Larry and his wife. I don't recognise your dads name though, but I may have known him to say hello to.
Here is a pic of the view from my bedroom window, sometime in the mid 60's.

Attachments

• View from bedroom (1).jpg
    View from bedroom (1).jpg
    236 KB · Views: 66
Just to reserect this thread from the dead...........

Kitsland Road shops as I remember them but I could do with anyone else that could put names to the shops. I grew up on berrowside road (adjoining Kitsland) and would visit the shops every Saturday. My step dad even worked in and took over the butchers (Barry Johns butchers) he was the John half :)

On one side there was:

A bookies
Another shop which name evades me (on the end)
The Wool Shop - called Joyce's (I knew the family)
Browns Discount - was Liptons? (would sell random homewares & toys)
The Greengrocers
Barry johns Butchers - Not sure it was always called this but a really close family friend called 'Dave' was the butcher there for many years before moving to another shop in Shard End Crescent
Another shop which later become a chip shop then the lucky house chinese (which moved to lea village and is still there!) EDIT - I've been told this was a Bakery :)
An off license on the end

On the other side of the road (and still there)

Hair dressers
Co-Op (this shop became a Mace and bought the shop next door and expanded)
Another shop - this was the one that the mace expanded in to - I have no idea what it was
The Newsagents (now and off license)
The record/odd bits shop
The barbers (Trevors - was it Georges before? Believe it or not he is still there and it still looks exactly the same inside, he must be about 70 now and only opens for a few hours a week)

Can anyone else add to this and fill in the gaps?

Thank you

Alex.
As I recall, on one side there was originally a clothes shop ( I have a very vague and possibly imperfect memory that it was called 'Shirleys')
Next door was the chemist. 'Tilley Daniels'. The grocery store was called 'Reillys', the greengrocers was 'Sharrads'. I remember the wool shop and butchers but not the names, followed by the off licence.
The barbers on the other side was 'Georges' run by George Gibbs. The record/toy shop, the newsagents which became 'Dillons' (I was a paperboy there for a couple of years and still remember the weight of 72 evening mails in a canvas bag). Lastly the (small by todays standards) supermarket. I can't remember if it started as a co-op or not. Happy days.

As I recall, on one side there was originally a clothes shop ( I have a very vague and possibly imperfect memory that it was called 'Shirleys')
Next door was the chemist. 'Tilley Daniels'. The grocery store was called 'Reillys', the greengrocers was 'Sharrads'. I remember the wool shop and butchers but not the names, followed by the off licence.
The barbers on the other side was 'Georges' run by George Gibbs. The record/toy shop, the newsagents which became 'Dillons' (I was a paperboy there for a couple of years and still remember the weight of 72 evening mails in a canvas bag). Lastly the (small by todays standards) supermarket. I can't remember if it started as a co-op or not. Happy days.
Pete, welcome to the Forum, a great place, enjoy!

Does anyone have any photos of the Australia Flats? I lived in Freemantle as a small child; left in 1963

I thought my memory was OK!.

There was also a toy shop next to George's if I remember right? I recall watching the British 'Yoyo Champion' struting his stuff outside. (never could get the hang of the B****y thing meself!)

Alongside the Toy shop was the newsagents, then the CooP (money in an envelope with the shopping list, always reciting the 'Divvy' number so you didn't forget it.) Next to which was a hairdressers. (I can still recall the smell of the stuff they used to perm hair drifting outside!

On the other side of the road was masons and a fruit and veg shop but I'm struggling to remember what else there was! Can anyone enlightenment.

best regards

Bob
Hi Bob..if my memories serves me right...i think the toyshop was called Playtime and the proprietor was a tall slim balding chap always friendly and smiling.

I lived opposite the flats from when they were built till 1965ish. I remember the flats being built. It was another piece of land that we lost to 'the builders'. I lived at 16 Berrowside Road. It was an end terrace. As you looked at the front of the house the was an open field to the right. There was also an open field to the back of the house. The Two Hands pub was built later and more houses were built next to us. Here is a picture of me at our gate with the land where the flats were built in the background.

Attachments

• d&g2.jpg
    d&g2.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 9
Back