• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Severn valley railway.

Hi G G Jean
See what I missed, Audrey said no to it.... Thanks for that Both.... Bill...

Bill I have photo's of it as it is now and you would not believe it. The Severn Valley is popular with quite a few folks on the forum Bill. Bye. Jean.

Couple of weeks ago we took our 4 year old Grandson for a short ride on the SVR just from Kidderminster to Bewdley and back to get a steam train ride. Walked up the riverside, played ball, had decent fish and chips from the shop by the bridge and brought back some Bewdley peppermint rock from Teddy Grays shop on the other side of the road. While waiting for the train back we were surprised to see a train coming up from Kidderminster that wasn't on the timetable. Consisted of an express loco with just one carraige behind. When it pulled in it was obvious it was a private train as inside a group of blokes were enjoying a slap up feed and plenty of beer to wash it down. Had to smile, as when our train pulled in all we had pulling it was a pannier tank loco. Explain that to a 4 year old:). What an enjoyable day out it was though. Next time Bridgnorth.

Hi

Had a wonderful day in Cornwall on the Bodmin Railway.
It seemed timeless on the Station and the various Yards.
Great place.

Mike Jenks

Hi Mike,
you cannot beat them old railways, Highly and Arley, did a 40s weekend to dress the stations up, and people came to life by living that era. Bill..

You can't beat steam can you Mike but the scenery the trains go through helps. Lovely photo's again. We stand on Arley station bridge when the train lets off it's steam. Love the smell. When we lived in Holte road and you could smell the steam mom used to say we were in for a storm if that was the way the wind was blowing. Jean.

Had a lovely walk from Arley back to the caravan and took a few photo's. The weather was lovely not too hot and there was a lovely breeze. Jean.

That middle one is where the chain ferry used to go, isn't it Jean? Memories of being taken there when little!

Hi Lloyd sorry for missing your post. Yes it is. I am trying to borrow some old photo's from the Harbour Inn but San has been so busy this week that I didn't want to bother her. TTFN. Jean.

Took these photo's at Arley yesterday. Put the camera away and the small helicopter was followed by a massive chenook which was so low I could see the pilot but by the time I got the camera back out it had gone. Jean.

Hi folks if anyone fancies a ride out on Monday there is the local Arley village fete fun and games etc then from 4 oclock onwards The Harbour Inn have got music in the garden a table top sale and skittle alley. Just a walk over the bridge. I know someone who will be there. Take care. Jean.

Thanks Denise have one on one side of the bridge then a quick shiftie over the other side at four o'clock. Have some trophies for the skittle alley tournament so must get there. Jean.

It would take us an about 1½ hours to get there, a long time for a short visit, never mind, perhaps sometime we might be in the area with the van staying nearby, you never know

I cycled today to Arley from my home in Bewdley, Last night I had too many beers at The Bewdley Beer Festival and thought the ride and all that fresh air would do me good !...... I was right !
Got a nice photo of one of the "Manors" crossing Victoria bridge,taken from Seckley Wood View point.
Paul.

PS. Pity about the fishermans white transit van parked in the field !

Last edited:
Thanks Lloyd..... for scrapping the van ! I have tried re-touching photos previously but made a mess of it . :rolleyes:
Will now try again on Picasa photo workshop.
Cheers, Paul.

hi all
must be the most bueatiful of all the preserved railways in England realy brings home such happy memories of long ago.
regards
paul

Had half a day in Bridgenorth yesterday and took these photo's. Had a snack at the New Inns high town. I love Bridgenorth. My first visit was when I went youth hostelling from our school. We bought quite a bit of meat for the freezer from Beamans the butcher. Jean.

Called in at The Harbour Inn just by Arley station and had to show you the photo's of Chris's dog. Little cutie isn't he?. Small world Chris lives close to our caravan site and has a small business at the top of our road. Jean.

Jean ....On Saturday my Wife & are going to Arley on sea :)
look out for us we be riding the donkeys with one
stick of rock in one hand and a ice cream in the uffer .
ragga :)

ps ... nice pics of bridgnorth & the harbour :)

Thanks Ragga have a good day out. Buy your ice cream from the Post Office it is lovely. Cornish cream. Jean.

Payed a couple of visits to the Harbour this time and went in search of the Seckley beach [what's left of it] for Mossg but was told we ought to approach it from the road via Hawk Batch. Next time all being well. Took a photo of Wizza he's lovely and the train heading for Bewdley. Jean.

Back