• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search of Handsworth schools in 1911

Pete Elliott

knowlegable brummie
Hi all, sorry I haven’t been on the forum for a while, I’m still researching my family tree, I’m trying to work out which schools my dad and his brother would possibly attended in 1911, they were both living in Whateley road in Handsworth , dad was 12 yrs, uncle Ron would have been about 6yrs. I’m not sure how to look for school registers without knowing the schools involved, has anyone else here had this problem, any help would be much appreciated thanks

Closest would have been Grove Lane School, map from 1912...

0 - Grove Lane School.jpg

...some records are at Library of Bham, not sure what's included...

Thanks MWS, I wasn’t sure which schools would have been located in Handsworth back in 1911, I’ll see if I can research any records for Grove Lane school, thanks for your help , will keep you posted

Sorry to say I would imagine few registers would still be in existence. The sheer volume of paperwork couldn't be stored in a school.

Back