• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sculptures

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This sculpture in Acocks Green has been given Grade 2 listed status. Vivienne.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 37
Not my cuppa tea either. Couldn't decide whether it most reminded me of a duck's skull or a leg of ham. The listed status must be based more on the fact that it's simply an example of abstract sculpture of the 1960s. I doubt it appeals to many, especially the children for whom it was meant to be inspirational. If there are any Acocks Green children of the 1960s out there, did it inspire you? Viv.

Old Boy I'm convinced the so called Art presented by the likes of Tracey Emins, Damien Hirst, Bridget Riley, etc is one big con, and yet they make millions !!! a fool and his money is soon parted comes to mind. Eric

With work like that this could be a very short-lived thread, but we do know that Birmingham does have some "proper" sculptures! That sort of rubbish is turned out just for the sake of being different. I'm sure the likes of Tracey Emin & Damien Hirst think that if they turn out something really outrageous then they are on to a winner. Unfortunately the adjudicators are composed of similar such people, not artists.

Maurice

Not too keen on this sort of art myself. It's a shame that some of the older Birmingham sculptures are residing in a storage room somewhere and will proably never see the light of day again.

Thanks Dave. Those sculptures fit inside the head of a needle! Blimey, that's incredible. Viv.

Just read the thread on the Bull Ring "Bull" sculptures and thought I would post this under sculptures as this are not to do with the bull. This is the swing sculpture and the response to a John Hickman who enquired of its whereabouts in 2009.

Attachments

• swing sculpture.jpg
    swing sculpture.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 8
Just read the thread on the Bull Ring "Bull" sculptures and thought I would post this under sculptures as this are not to do with the bull. This is the swing sculpture and the response to a John Hickman who enquired of its whereabouts in 2009.

There seem to be more than enough sculptures in the city for a Sculpture Trail. Does one exist in Brum?

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Back