• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sculpture Fountain

Maryd

Exiled Brummie
Hi, Went back home to Brum recently to see the new library and noticed they had got rid of the lovely fountain with all the faces and the water coming out of the mouths - used to look great in the winter when the water froze. What's been going on? There seems to be a naff looking three figure thing of two women and a child I think in front of the library on the grass now (only saw it from up in the library). Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Mary

Since the library was being built they were moved to the Museums Collection Centre.

I saw them there in 2012. Have to assume they are still there - don't expect them to come back, what with the amphitheatre being on the site!

As it was in 2009 (before it was removed)

The site now

Well thanks. But I must say I find that a very very depressing sight. Ampitheatre? Looks more like a bomb crater. Oh dear:(

Well thanks. But I must say I find that a very very depressing sight. Ampitheatre? Looks more like a bomb crater. Oh dear:(
It was supposed to be for some kind of performances so that people could watch from above and from the video library (where the windows are). The performances don't seem to have happened that often and now they're cutting funding to the library, it's unlikely that they will. The amphitheatre isn't that gloomy most of the time as it's only a floor down from the surface but unless the performers are working on the floor rather than standing you won't see much from outside. I seem to remember a concert around the time the library opened and the sound was good enough.

It's just a hole in the ground, and knowing Birmingham it will one day be filled in or covered over to reclaim the space.

For some reason over recent years I get the impression Birmingham council as a dislike for traditional buildings, traditional sculptures and other art etc, everything has to be 'with it' and modern, never mind what the electorate think/want. This of course is only my opinion, others may disagree and rightly so. Eric

For some reason over recent years I get the impression Birmingham council as a dislike for traditional buildings, traditional sculptures and other art etc, everything has to be 'with it' and modern, never mind what the electorate think/want. This of course is only my opinion, others may disagree and rightly so. Eric

i dont disagree with you eric...

I agree also Eric. If we look at London they have many gilded statues like our Watt, Boulton and Murdoch one. They are old statues that stand out beautifully showing the craft of sculpting. This reflects the historic people of the city's past.

I agree also Eric. If we look at London they have many gilded statues like our Watt, Boulton and Murdoch one. They are old statues that stand out beautifully showing the craft of sculpting. This reflects the historic people of the city's past.
Wendy, perhaps that is the purpose of all this "redevelopment" to eliminate all that went before, our buildings, history and memorials to all the great people that created this great City. Just a thought.
jimbo

Of course, the councillors want to project a "modern city" and put their marks on the developments. Preserving a view of the past is pretty low on their list of priorities, and Birmingham is not alone in this. It applies to many cities.

Maurice

I have visited Paris numerous times on painting holidays and Musee' (gallery) visits and every turn you see beautiful sculptures, not 'modern' art but traditional, would love to see Birmingham follow suit. Love those by the Hall of Memory. Dislike the Hancock and the Iron Man and think that one depicting 2 woman (one pregnant) and a lad (no Father) an insult to the people of Birmingham suggesting this is a typical Brum family. Perhaps I'm old fashioned and living in the past and my values are old fashioned. Eric

Couldn't agree with you more, Eric, but I guess we are too old for our opinions to count for much. I've visited Italy a number of times and the quality of architecture and statues is magnificent compared with comparable cities in England.

Maurice

ellbrown, thank's for the link, some nice pieces still out there. I wonder what, if anything, will be done with "the good Samaritan" that stood outside the entrance to Selly Oak Hospital Out Patients?

No problem. It might be moved to the new QEHB, but am not sure!

001.jpg003a.jpg004a.jpg
Hope these have uploaded OK. Just to show what the fountain looked like in deepest winter, plus one showing the Tony Hancock one at it's best. My husband waited until the light was just right. Oh, and I quite agree about the "Real Birmingham Family". Dire.

Mary

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 14
I love those photos Maryd!

The Tony Hancock one comes up lovely as a screen saver on my pc - would your husband mind if I used it?

The Nelson statue is my favourite Birmingham work of Art, but I preferred it in its original Bull Ring location where I first saw it in 30/40's. My 2nd is Boulton, Watt and Murdoch, not sure I like the Gold finish though. Eric

Last edited:
The Angel Drinking fountain..jpg
The three images above are all about the same fountain and the reverence to re-siting omit to tell us that it was re-located
to a site close to St. Philips Church.

Back