• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scott Arms, Great Barr

Heres one to start.

Attachments

• Great Barr Scott Arms (2).jpg
    Great Barr Scott Arms (2).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for sharing that Mike,
I remember seeing it before,
with one from Pages Lane.
Does anyone remember the
'New' Scott Arms.
If I remember correctly, the old one was 'listed'
but started crumbling when they put the new road through.

There is an early pic of the Scott Arms in the thread - 3rd pic in post #275, but here is an early 1950's pic of the pub.

scottarms1950s.jpg

It certainly looks better in the 1950's pic than than today's rebuilt Scott Arms, but I suppose it could not have been left in place for traffic reasons.

That brings back memories. I used to quite like the old Scott Arms, nice place for a quick pint while I waited for the bus to West Brom to see my girl-friend. I was under-age, but there you go. When was it demolished? In the 1970's, at a guess?

Big Gee

Here are two more pictures of The Scott's.Second one dated 1910.moss

Attachments

• Scott Arms 1910.jpg
    Scott Arms 1910.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Scott Arms1.jpg
    Scott Arms1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 18
Hi I am looking for anyone who has any memorabilia regarding the old Scott Arms, back in the day before all the changes happened. Especially when the motorway, Jnct 7 had a massive effect on this once beautiful village!!

My dad lived at 92 Birmingham road, and went to St Margaret's school and then Blue Coat, Head master Mr Tench.. My dad sadly lost his brother in the 1934 just before his 7th birthday. when he was killed outside where he lived. Hit by car travelling salesman, while playing out on his return from sandpits, the driver tried to miss him, but sadly he was killed.This was in the days when traffic was much less and there was no motorway!

Birmingham road was not a lucky place for the Wilkins family, as in 1953 during the Queen's Coronation, my mom and dad, lost their first baby. Also named Susan, due to the G.P refusing to come and help out with difficult breach birth. He called for ambulance, but at the time that service came further a field in Bloxwich.
An inquest into her death established that although, the doctor should have come to assist the birth it was suggested that if the Emergency Ambulance had come from Walsall, she may have been saved. There were changes made due to this inquest to direct emergency services from Walsall and not Bloxwich.

In 1988, my nan also got killed just 50 yards from where she lost Reggie.. A bike and car racing one another from the previous lights near the Catholic church was going to fast to miss her! She never regained consciousness and later died in hospital.

Although, these were sad memories, I grew to love the Scotts Arms and its history.
Especially Redhouse Park and the Beacon Cinema, where as a family we spent so much time! Beacon Pub was a memory for my dad as he played cricket there.. He started writing a story about a young chap days who came from a little hamlet village and antic's he got up and I guess the guy he was writing about was him! I must try and look through it and take some pieces of interest when I can!

c1900 Scott Arms. Looks like some sort of artwork in the arched recess above the door. Or maybe a coat of arms perhaps ? Viv.

BB1B5D13-CFBC-44A3-9146-A1D11674C054.jpeg

Thanks Alan. Missed that as I merged two threads together after posting my latest post. Viv.

Old Mohawk’s picture #6 above contains a Morris Minor 1000 van introduced late 1956, and a Morris FF truck, introduced 1958, so the date has to move forward a bit from “early 50s”.

I'm an old Scott Armer. I lived as a teenager in Waddington Avenue behind the pub 1958 - 71. Stole my first half pint off my dad there. It was a key Bus service crossroads, West Brom - Kingstanding and Sutton, And Walsall - Birmingham. I waited many hours there for scthe bus to school, sports matches, mates and girlfriends. I don't remember it's demolition but I left for Uni in 1968 and in 1970 had my 21st B'day in the "New" Scott Arms. Shouldn't have bothered. Out of Shot (Left) in Old mohawks picture was a piece of derelict land now part of the precinct. It was a great kids playground for years
Cellars of some old houses for games of soldiers and old gardens that were football and cricket pitches around the year. Anyone have any evidence of what was there before the dereliction.?

That brings back memories. I used to quite like the old Scott Arms, nice place for a quick pint while I waited for the bus to West Brom to see my girl-friend. I was under-age, but there you go. When was it demolished? In the 1970's, at a guess?

Big Gee
i married in 1972 and lived a few mins from the scott arms but but i am sure the old pub had gone by then

lyn

Back