• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Schweppes Hockley

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Schweppes of Hockley. In case you were in any doubt about how to drink Schweppes products. Viv.

IMG_0205.JPG

thanks for that ad viv...i had no idea that schweppes was in brearly st ...mike if you read this post could i have a map please showing where no 10 was..have an idea it was near the newtown row end of the street..

thanks mike

lyn

I don't understand the 'gore Brummage' Alan. What does it mean ? I know the usual meaning of gore but is it something else. I was also wondering if Schweppes had any German connection given the spelling. Viv.

Here is map, with 10-12 Brearly st in red. Jacob Schweppes started he firm in Geneva, after inventing the first commercial process for making soda water. Not sure when the firm moved to Emgland, though it must have been quite early. Have book on history of Schweppes, but not sure where it is. will try and find it.
map c 1950 showing position of Schweppes at 10 Brearley st.jpg

Thanks Mike. Wasn't even aware they were in Birmingham until I saw the advert ! Viv.

I think it was just a small distribution depot. There later was a much larger affair at Minworth

thanks for the map mike...i have a photo of the white lion pub dont think it shows any of the schweeps building though but i will check that out...thinking about it i may have a photo of that end of brearley st but again will have to check as im not sure which side of the street

lyn

I don't understand the 'gore Brummage' Alan. What does it mean ? I know the usual meaning of gore but is it something else. I was also wondering if Schweppes had any German connection given the spelling. Viv.
From my Graces Guide link, Vivienne:
1780 Schweppes was founded in 1783 (1780?) by a German-born Swiss jeweller and amateur scientist named Jacob Schweppe, who discovered a way of producing carbonated water on a commercial scale

It was, I imagine, Vivienne a name, sounding upper or middle class, presumably to impress the peasants who hopefully might buy their products. :D The Brummage was, maybe, aimed at Brummies??

Anyone else have bright ideas?

Back