• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarah Guest

TonyGuest

Brummie babby
I’m trying to find out what happened to Sarah Guest/Geast, baptised at St Thomas - Dudley on 2 Sep 1798. I can find no detail of marriage or death. She was the daughter of my great great great grandparents Thomas Guest & Mary ????
Many thanks

Is that another Sarah Geast baptised 1798 a daughter of theirs? Which would imply the elder Sarah possibly died prior to this.

Also note that there is marriage listed for a Thomas Goastt and a Mary Ruston in 1789. Doesn't appear to be any other mentions of the name Goastt.

Thanks for your reply. That Sarah was born to Silas & Jane. My GGG grandparents were definitely Thomas & Mary. Mary died in 1866 aged 93, I have the death certificate. Maiden name unknown although a Thomas Guest married a Mary Whitehouse in Harborne in 1796. My GG grandfather was called Joseph Whitehouse Guest (1806) and they had another child Mary Whitehouse Guest (1813). Whitehouse looks a good bet as no births to Thomas & Mary in Harborne registered, all in Dudley St Thomas. A Seana & Senea also baptised in 1798 & 1801 (deceased 1880 & 1801) to Thomas & Mary. They had 12/13 children and other than Sarah I’ve been able to track down all marriages & deaths for them although can’t ascertain exact births of Thomas & Mary. MyHeritage shows the Mary as Mary Matthews but she married a Thomas Guest in Gloucester & a William Pitt in 1803 so just lazy assumptions.

Apologies, I did mis-read the baptisms.

Did see the Harborne marriage but saw no connection to Dudley but as you say it does seems likely with the middle name Whitehouse.

Will have another look.

I assume that none of the 5 Sarah Guest marriages between 1820 & 1830 in Dudley are your Sarah.

I assume that none of the 5 Sarah Guest marriages between 1820 & 1830 in Dudley are your Sarah.
Hi MWS. It’s possible but very difficult to confirm as obviously no marriage certificates in that period and no corroborating evidence, eg witnesses etc. I think the first 3 are possible (Perry/Parkes/Jewkes) but can find no death of a Sarah with those surnames that are the right age. Thought I’d found a Sarah Jewkes death that fitted but death certificate showed husband as Joseph not William Jewkes. I visited Dudley Archives to look for deaths for few years after birth but no joy. No census information found to confirm. It’s possible that she moved out of district although all my family seem to have remained in Dudley throughout the 1800s. Due to name being more common it’s proving very elusive. I did read that sometimes if child died on same day as birth it sometimes wasn’t shown. Also puzzling that baptism of Seana only 12 weeks after Sarah.

Very frustrating. You always hope for a child to be living with a relative, that's helped me out a few time

Possibly that the Sarah, wife of William Jewkes was a little younger. Appears to be on the 1841 and 1851 census, year of birth in 1851 is listed as 1803 and there's a death in 1860 that matches. Given ages that early are not always accurate.

On the baptisms, first thought would be that Sarah's was delayed for some reason but I see Sarah's brother Thomas was born just over year before so doesn't give any leeway. Other options could be Sarah and Seana were twins and Seana's baptism was delayed for some reason (though twins are sometimes remarked upon) or it's an error and Seana (or Sarah I suppose) is someone else's. Probably unproveable.

Back