• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salvation Army - Sunday Parade

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

I hope that it is fair to include the Salvation Army in the churches forum They have citadels in many parts of Birmingham but also on Sundays, after the service in the citadel, they took to the streets with the band, played a couple of hymns, knocked on doors with a collection box then moved on to the next street. I am fairly sure that this does not happen now which I think is a pity.

Also I remember that in the early days of TV, after the war, there was a program at about teatime on Sundays which featured a Salvation Army band and a young lady captain who had a wonderful voice who I am sure could have made a professional career as a singer. I do not remember her name but perhaps some other older member of the Forum will come up with it.

Old Boy

Hi All,

I hope that it is fair to include the Salvation Army in the churches forum They have citadels in many parts of Birmingham but also on Sundays, after the service in the citadel, they took to the streets with the band, played a couple of hymns, knocked on doors with a collection box then moved on to the next street. I am fairly sure that this does not happen now which I think is a pity.

Also I remember that in the early days of TV, after the war, there was a program at about teatime on Sundays which featured a Salvation Army band and a young lady captain who had a wonderful voice who I am sure could have made a professional career as a singer. I do not remember her name but perhaps some other older member of the Forum will come up with it.

Old Boy
hi my great grandad was in salvation army the name billingham,i am trying to find out about him ,if you come up with anything would you please let me know.

VICTORIA RD ASTON S.A. BAND 1.jpg Victora Road Aston Salvation Army Band. My uncle John (JACK) Lamb third from the right front row.

ASTON CITADEL BAND 1.jpg My uncle Jack Lamb & his two sons Albert & Gordon are in the photo of the ASTON CITADAL BAND out side Aston Hall

Aunt Hilda & Uncle Jims SA Wedding 1.jpg This is the Salvation Army Wedding of My Uncle & Aunt Jim & Hilda Matthews.

Attachments

• Albert Lamb S.A. BAND[1a].jpg
    Albert Lamb S.A. BAND[1a].jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 15
Thank you for showing me such lovely photos,my great grandad was in Salvation Army in Birmingham named William Billingham they lived in Birmingham.,but came from Gloucestershire.I dont know much about them but thanks for any help.

Hi,I am new to this site,but I received a lovely photo of Salvation Army band,and I was wondering how old the picture is
the man in the centre with no musical instrument ,I think is my great grand dad William Henry Billingham,also another man on the bottom row looks like my great uncle.my great grand dad lived in Victoria road Aston was married to jessica
Addelaide haidon,thanks for the photo I would like to get this printed.

Will you be posting the photo ? can you tell if it shows the Victoria road band if so it must have my folks on it,would love to see it .
Hi,I am new to this site,but I received a lovely photo of Salvation Army band,and I was wondering how old the picture is
the man in the centre with no musical instrument ,I think is my great grand dad William Henry Billingham,also another man on the bottom row looks like my great uncle.my great grand dad lived in Victoria road Aston was married to jessica
Addelaide haidon,thanks for the photo I would like to get this printed.

Hi,could you let me know how old the photo is of Salvation Army,I am quite sure one of them is my great grandad thank you for posting this photo

Hi to you,sorry I meant the Victoria road one do you know who I can get in touch with
to find out more about salvation army in that era thanks for reply.

SORRY to say all the generation who would have know who this photo contained have passed on, The only one I know in the photo is my uncle Jack Lamb 3rd from left front left.
All our family were in the Salvation Army at one time, back in the 1920-1950 era. Most were Bandmen or Songsters at Victoria Road & the Birmingham Citidal?

Hi to you,sorry I meant the Victoria road one do you know who I can get in touch with
to find out more about salvation army in that era thanks for reply.

Hi again barron
As i have just said my sister and a couple of kids from the cromwell terrace including myself
used to attend the victoria road church of the good old sally army
they used to have band practice in the middle of the week at the centre
in time for there sunday meeting services and there parade
which was every sunday evening in the summer time and they used to meet each other up at the bottom of our terrace
carrying there instruments when most of them turned up they would all walk down to the aston cross
some of the band came in there cars oweing to what huge instrument they was playing
and gather around in a big circle this would be about five thirty tea time
this is before they knocked down the little shops that used to be there before Ansells built there huge building of offices
Of Ansells, after about half an hour they would line up and march back to the church meeting place
with the big drum beating and band playing the songesters would have the tamberines rattleing along
with them and us kids would be marching behind the band on our way to victoria road
most of our parents would come out and whatch the band marching along past the terrace on lichfield road
heading for the bottom end of victoria road turning left off the lichfield road
and into victoria road about fifty yards from the corner of lichfield road for the evening services
of playing inside the building and songs and prayers and bible classes
the church hall was next to pugh road so some times if it was a morning afternoon
parade coming from the aston cross again we would march back down lichfield road but instead
of turning into victoria road they would extend and go down church lane turn left wich would take you to
Vicarage road school and left down pugh road and finish right out side of the hall and we would all go in for service
from the out side it did not look big building but once inside you are amazed just how bigger place it was this is early fifty
best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;;;

Back