• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Salerno War Cemetery : Flowers

db84124

Brummophile
Tomorrow morning - or possibly Friday - I'll be driving 9 miles (15 km) to Salerno War Cemetery.
If any member of the Forum would like me to place a flower on the grave of a relative, friend or simply an acquaintance lying there, would he or she please let me know the full name of the war hero. Letting me know the regiment and/or date of birth may help, but the surname and all given names should be sufficient to identify the grave.
As well as the flowers I will leave on the altar near the entrance, I would be only too willing to leave a personal tribute near an individual headstone.
They will never be forgotten.
David

If at all possible could you look at the grave of Victor changretta he was killed in about 1943. He lived in Birmingham but his father was born in Sora not too far from salerno. some family members visited the site this year and said how well looked after it is.

Hello there, st.evenlucy,
I already have the position of Mr Changretta's grave. He died on 30th September, 1943, aged 25. He was the son of Thomas Martin Changretta and Ann Changretta; and the husband of Florence Nellie Changretta of Ashted, Warwickshire.
If you send me a private message with an email address, I will send you a photo of Mr Changretta's headstone.
If you'd like to see for yourself how well looked-after Salerno War Cemetery is, there is a collection of photographs which I transformed into a kind of video on YouTube in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS-q0PujU1Y

David

Good morning, st.evenlucy,
I send off four photographs to you last Saturday. Unfortunately I was unable to use this site: here you can only attach photos to personal messages via an URL address.
As you let me know your name through your message to me, I sent the photographs to you via Facebook. If you log on to your FB account, you will find the photographs taken last Friday.
Best wishes, David

That is very kind of you David. I hope st.evenlucy gets the photo's it would be nice to know.

Just to let everyone know, after some instructions from David, I was able to get the photos up on my facebook page. It was so kind of him and I have sent him a p.m.

Yes, I've received and read st.evenlucy's message.

Thank you for your thanks. I'm very pleased the instructions were sufficiently well written to follow.
The difference between giving a small bunch of flowers and giving your life is beyond any form of comparison ......
David

Back