• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saint Leonards Church

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys ;
sorry to be a pain again; but is it possible that some one could spare a little time to do a check for me on the following personel; please
this is an uncle and aunt to me ;
she was a pinister ;sara priscilla halford ; and charles william jelf;
and was told its saint leanords sept 1925 for a marrige/burial 1925-6 brettonfor
many thanks astonian

Re: saint lenoards church

Alan there is a marriage in 1920 registered Evesham of
George William Jelfs and Sara Nellie Halford
Sara Nellie Jelfs died in Evesham 1935
they appear to have 3 daughters Dorothy, Daisy and Miriam.

Re: saint lenoards church

hi alberta
how are you fine i hope you have answered my question one hundred percent ;i say that because this lady is a member of a wealthy family
the halfords ; my mother toldme of the cottage we used to spend time thereit was an old orinal thatched cottage with no electric it was a very quaint one indeed and we had the old18 century water well for water and used candles at night but to cut the story short i have been trying for years to find out how this cottage came into the jelfs possession ; i have been to eversham libary archives many times and learnt a hell of alot about the jelfs
i think it was in those early years old george jelf had a little house at the bottom of the drive in the rear of park lane and at some point he sold it to the halfords
this is where the police head quartes are now at park lane aston cross today and on this land he had the work shop and two story ware houses and the house
but the halfords owned most of the cottages in the old village which still stand today ;that being the name ofold cow honeyborne as it was in those days now its just honeyborne which runs down to long lartin prison ; ans at the end of the village was the old air force landing fields in the war years
but years ago you have heard of all the brumies go to eversham in those days friut picking and all that stuff ; well its there family they had a big mannor house
and owning all these little cottage all these familys would stay in them or rent them from him ;
so him marrying her would put him in the frame to get the house that particular house was in the 17th century owned by an old china man
i am trying to think what it was called but the jelfs kept the nameof the house it was passed through the jelfs family for donkeys years until my grand father ecided to sell it in 1955 out side the jelfs family
there was a book called the honeyborne village millenuim but i sem to have lost it for years i have beentrying to find it ; because all thestory of the halfords and the jelfs regime was in it and all what she done for st leanords and the silver and things se had donated to that church was all transfered to the abbey vaulyts in eversham ;
and it tellds you the historyof the jelfs owning the land as well going right across the eversham lans from one end to another
but the halfords i think had the edge on the jelfs
blimeyalberta my mind is racing now and getting excited if you can get a copy of that book its well wrth readng ;there was a printer in the village whom done the momoirs of the pold people pof the village well alberta i bet had shoot off i have to go to brum now so tut bye for now
best wishes astonian alan
they certainly have history ; both of them and more so the halfords and there was picyure of each member of the family going back 17-1800s

Back