• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saint Cuthberts Church

J

june edwards

Does anyone know anything about St Cuthberts, possible near Aston or Handsworth. I was baptised there and would love to see it.

June. Did you know that Saint Cuthbert reputedly started Christianity in Britain, he walked from Montrose in Scotland to Holy Island in Northumbria, and there is a St. Cuthberts walk signposted all the way to this day, it actually goes past my grand-daughters cottage near Wooler, Northumberland and there is a cave where he reputably slept close by.

Thanks John,
Yes I have read about his travels, and been to see his cave at Durham Cathedral. Looking forward to news from Birmingham and then a visit.
take care
june

The only St. Cuthbert's church that I know of was on the corner of St. Cuthberts Road and Winson Green Road but it was demolished some time ago.My first wife and I held our wedding reception in the hall in 1974 and I think the church was still there then.BobS.

Hi Bobs,
Thanks for the info on the church, as I was born near Wonson Green prison I can only asume the church you say was demolished is the one I am looking for, I will have to try the church records for more details.
june

June
Attached is, a not very good, photo of the inside of the church.
Mike

inside_st_cuthbertsA.jpg

Thanks Mike, we don't see a congregation that large these days . Could you e.mail me a copy if I send you details via a private message
thanks June

June
Sure, just give me your email address, though I'm not sure if the resolution will be any better than on the forum. There are also acopy of a party in a side room there and a wedding group outside if you are interested.
Mike

Little bit of info on St. Cuthbert's Church, June.
ST. CUTHBERT, Birmingham (Cuthbert Rd. and Winson Green Rd.), began as a mission of All Saints, Birmingham, licensed for public worship from 1863. (fn. 73) In 1872 a new church was consecrated: (fn. 74) it is a building of stone and brick in the Decorated style consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, and north-east tower, designed by Bateman and Corser. A parish was assigned out of All Saints' in 1872, (fn. 75) the living, a perpetual curacy which became a vicarage in 1876, being in the gift of the trustees of St. Martin's. (fn. 76) Part of the parish was taken to form part of the parish of Bishop Latimer, Birmingham (1904).

From British History online

I was baptised in St Cuthberts Church in 1941, but I have no written proof, Where can I get a copy of the certificate. Please can anyone help?

Try Birmingham library, they may have the details, i checked up on mine late last year, christened 1970, St Marks, Washwood Heath, bit of a gap, but if the church is no longer there, then the records just may well be at the library.
Hope this helps
Wendy.xxx

A was also baptised there in 1950 it was in Winson Green I went past last week, I lived in Cuthbert Road then but the church was demolished some years ago.:cry:

Hi Bobs,
Thanks for the info on the church, as I was born near Wonson Green prison I can only asume the church you say was demolished is the one I am looking for, I will have to try the church records for more details.
june

My gandads parent were married in this church i really would love a photo of what it looked it back in 1831 does anyone know how i can find one? ive googled but not finding any photos unless im looking wrong place. i did find out that it got hit by a german bomb in the 2nd world war.

Hi all,
Did anyone ever manage to locate a photo of St Cuthbert's church?
I'm relatively new to the forum and would like to get a photo as my grandparents were married there in the 1920's.

Back