• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal visits to Birmingham

A slightly better quality picture of the Art Arch - The name on the building is given as "London and North Western Railway Company's Parcel Office"
So hopefully someone can confirm the exact location of this Railway Station Parcel Office.
Art Arch #2 Mq.jpg

Must have been really exciting to have witnessed this Royal visit in Brum.Great photos thanks for posting them.

Companys/Company's Parcel Office - interesting to note that the current trend to regard the apostrophe as an unnecessary complication is nothing new!

Chris

Last edited:
Hi

Does anyone know if there are any records regarding the people that met the King & Queen that day? I found out yesterday that my 3x great grandmother was apparently presented to them as one of the last people alive who had been in the Crimean War. I have no idea how true the Crimean statement actually is but I'm told she had no idea what the King said to her as she was deaf. Her name was Anne Lilley.

Thanks
Iain

Hi Carolina

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I cannot read any of what is written on the attachment so cannot tell if it is connected or not.

Princess Alexandra visits Birmingham

P1010796.JPGExactly 52 years today, 28th June 1962, Princess Alexandra visited Birmingham. I was on the same train as her coming from London Paddington. This not very good photograph was taken by me at Snow Hill Station. She is accompanied by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham. Not sure at what time of year the Mayoral term begins so it is either Eric Mole or Ernest Horton. Can anyone help? Princess Alexandra visited the Birmingham Children's Hospital in 1962 but I am not sure it was on that date. Just to add that I did not travel Pullman class myself.

Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein visited Birmingham on June 23rd 1903. She was known before her marriage as Princess Helena and was the 5th child and 3rd daughter of Queen Victoria. She was therefore a sister of King Edward the Seventh. She was met at Birmingham New Street Station by the Lord Mayor, Hallewell Rogers. The purpose of her visit was to lay the foundation stone to a Rowton House. This house was to be situated at Moseley Street/Alcester Street and overlooked Highgate Park. The house would be built to accommodate, nightly, 619 men at a charge of 6 pence per head, which would entitle them to remain indoors during the day. The house still stands but it is now the Paragon Hotel. Other threads mention Rowton Houses included the wrongly spelled thread on "Wroughton" houses. The princess lived from 1846 to 1923. Dave

Princess Christian had also been on an official visit to Birmingham in July 1897 when she opened the General Hospital.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1426537317.784768.jpg

(from English Heritage Viewfinder)

Viv.

I would like to know how long the arches remained in place, and what they were made from.
My Nan and Grandad were married at Church of The Messiah on Broad Street but not until October 1909.....It would be nice to think the decorations were still there then!!
rosie.

Fantastic pictures you can really get a feel for the time and place, that father carrying his son aged 10/11, #27/4, wonder if he survived the war 14/18?. Paul Stacey

What a wonderful thread looking into the faces of those people all long gone now. What an amazing effort Birmingham made for this historic visit. Thank you to all contributors much appreciated.

I hadn't realised the Water Arch had running water! Thank you Two!!
I always look closely "just in case" I see anyone who is related!
rosie.

Don,t remember the year,but I can remember walking from Ryland Road School along to Tyburn Road to see the King and Queen go by in their car.
Must have seen them for all of 20 seconds.

Additional Picture for (#7) BCT Tram.
Unknown if the Postcard was sold with glitter or the glitter was added later.

Tram PC with Glitter - 1909 Royal Visit.jpg

Tram BCT.jpg

Additional Pictures for (#8) Procession Route

Bristol Road - Royal Procession
Bristol Rd - Royal Procession.jpg

Chamberlain Square - Illuminated for Royal Visit
Chamberlain Sq - Illuminated for Royal Vist.jpg

Lord Mayor leaving Council House
Lord Mayor leaving Council House.jpg

New St - Decorations
New St - Decorated for Royal Visit.jpg

New St - Decorations
New St - Decorations 2.jpg

New St - Decorations
New St - Decorations 3.jpg

New St - Decorations
New St - Decorations.jpg

Royal Procession - The Horsefair
Royal Procession - The Horsefair.jpg

Royal Procession leaving New Street Station
Royal Procession leaving New St Station.jpg

Royal Procession passing Post Office
Royal Procession passing Post Office.jpg

Royal Visit Procession
Royal Visit - Procession.jpg

Street Decorations for Royal Visit
Street Decorations for Royal Visit.jpg

Victoria Square looking along New Street
Victoria Sq - looking along New St.jpg

Victoria Square Street Decorations
Victoria Sq - Street Decorations.jpg

Victoria Square Royal Visit
Vistoria Sq - Royal Visi.jpg

The King and Queen accompanied by the Princess Victoria arrived at New Street Station, Birmingham, having travelled by a special train from Liverpool.
Upon their arrival the King Knighted the Lord Mayor, Mr G.H. Kenrick.
After lunch, the Royal Party proceeded to the University where they were received by the Pro-Chancellor, Mr C.G. Beale.

The Times (8th July 1909 - page 11) records an unfortunate accident occurred during the day (of the Kings visit). A coping stone from a building in New Street fell upon several people. A man named George Lemon was killed and 2 men and a woman were injured.

Additional Pictures for the King and Queen at the University

University Royal Visit - 1909 (1).jpg

University Royal Visit - 1909 (2).jpg

University Royal Visit - 1909 (3).jpg

University Royal Visit - 1909 (4).jpg

University Royal Visit - 1909 (5).jpg

Back