• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rookery House, Erdington

As a lad living in Edwards Road near the junction with Moor End Lane and Spring Lane I spent many happy hours playing in the park.

I found this thread while doing some detective work. A neighbour, also from Erdington, told me to my surprise that Tom Jones had visited Rookery Park in the early 60s to open it or celebrate something. After several hour of googling I’ve still not found any mention of this. Can anyone confirm it please?

Terry, East Grinstead
Yes Tom Jones did visit Rookery Park in the 60s. My mum a young woman then worked in a dry cleaners near 6 ways island . She watched him go past waving and then she and her work friends went to the park and queued up and went up on a podium to get his autograph .

Yes Tom Jones did visit Rookery Park in the 60s. My mum a young woman then worked in a dry cleaners near 6 ways island . She watched him go past waving and then she and her work friends went to the park and queued up and went up on a podium to get his autograph .
Tom Jones opened Erdington Round Table Carnival in (I think) 1965. The Round Table organised the whole event -with support from Ansells Brewery and associated 'My Cellar' off-licences, and many other Birmingham businesses associated with Erdington 'Roundtablers'. Tom Jones was collected and brought to Erdington by a Roundtabler -a stockbroker who owned a luxurious Rover V8 car. Before leaving, Tom Jones was driven around the carnival arena and the Rover car was mobbed by fans. I'm sure that the Roundtabler's car must have been damaged in the process. Carnival programs were 2 Shillings each. The program allowed entry for one to the carnival and had a prize-draw number printed on the cover for the chance of winning on carnival day. As a 10 year old I remember selling programs door to door with my father and brother along Perry Common Road and we completely sold-out of our large box of stock. I believe that Tom Jones generously offered his services on the day at no cost at all and the annual event was the most successful Erdington carnival ever held.

Back