• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RIP Dame Mary Quant

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Very sad ro hear that Mary Quant has passed away. I loved her clothes, especially the B&W 60s styles. Also have great memories of hot pants and mini skirts and of course makeup and tights. She had a massive influence on my teenage years.

I posted this on the Rackhams thread and its raised a smile as I vividly remember "panda eyes" and heavy, black mascara, RIP Mary and thank you for rescuing me from boring clothes. Viv.

Screenshot_20230413_185357_Chrome.jpg

She certainly liberated women from quite stuffy old-fashioned post-war utility clothing to clothes that provided both comfort and practicality where women could fell relaxed.

A change for the best in my opinion, even if us men still mourn the loss of stocking and suspenders.

She was indeed very influential in the 60's fashions. I was quite surprised to read she was 93!
RIP Mary.
I was surprised too. When she was designing in the 1960s for a very young market she must have been well into her 30s. And I still think of her as a young designer. I guess that's because of the massive impact she had on us young girls.

And don't forget her impact on hairstyles. Think her famous style was created by Vidal Sassoon. I used to go to the VS salon in Rackhams, although never got my hair exactly like hers.

Viv.

She certainly liberated women from quite stuffy old-fashioned post-war utility clothing to clothes that provided both comfort and practicality where women could fell relaxed.

A change for the best in my opinion, even if us men still mourn the loss of stocking and suspenders.
If my memory serves some of her clothes were crimplene or similar fabric. Remember that ? It would have been a very modern fabric at the time. Easy to wash, drip dry and no creasing. And comfy albeit sweaty in summer! Viv

I used to buy Mary Quant makeup and my Mum a Seamstress used to do me copies of some of her fashion pieces as I could never afford the real deal. Used to love wearing my Mini skirt or hot pants jumpsuit with my white patent boots.

RIP Mary.
I loved wearing hot pants and white knee high boots . Lived in London during the `Swinging Sixties`, shopped at `Bus Stop` and Biba and Mary Quant was my hero!
Happy memories

Back