• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers

I remember Richards the Butchers and later the change to Ray Sketchleys shop. Ray had previously started with a small greengrocers at the other end of Bracebridge St (where I lived) at the corner of an opening just up from Miller Street. On the other corner of the opening was the pawn shop.
Brenda Sketchley was in my class at Elkington Street and I am still in touch with her. Are there any photos of the shop.

I remember Richards the Pork Butchers very well. As kids in the mid to late 1940s it was always an event to see the pigs downloaded from the lorries, I don't think we thought it through as to their eventual end. Occasionally one or more of the pigs would make a dash for it and there would be great excitement as the delivery men would try to round them up, one time a pig ran quite a distance up Newtown Row towards town.
I have now, what are bad memories of the pigs arriving at Richards...they had a pen in Aston Brook St, where they were kept until ready for slaughter. As they were coming down the ramp from the lorry, me & all my mates would be whacking them with sticks to make them squeal. I am a vegetarian for more than 15 years now and my love of animals is stronger than ever. I still have a hard time coming to terms with my behavior at that time.
Dave A

Back