• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Reynolds Street, Smethwick

Flea56

Brummie babby
Does this still exist? I cannot find it on the map and could not google it. Has something been built over it?

I was born at 90 Reynolds St. The Williams family. Both my Father and Mother families lived there until told to move to make way for the new Town Houses (Wills Way & Reynolds Way).
Mother's maiden name was Plover, but her mother was a Willetts.
I didnt know the Nelson Family, but my sister always speaks of one Jonny Nelson......Related ?????????

I was born at 90 Reynolds St. The Williams family. Both my Father and Mother families lived there until told to move to make way for the new Town Houses (Wills Way & Reynolds Way).
Mother's maiden name was Plover, but her mother was a Willetts.
I didnt know the Nelson Family, but my sister always speaks of one Jonny Nelson......Related ?????????
I was born at 35 Reynolds St in 1947.My nan Amy Price lived at 17/21 and I can remember her talking to Lizzy Plover over the garden wall.I can also remember Florry Lustie and a John Stretton.May Davis used to arrange a coach trip for us kids once a year.There was also a family called Farr.I can also remember a Genette or Jeanett Williams.I think that she was about the same age as me and lived at the far end of the row of houses thaw went at 90 deg to the actual road.My nan lived at the second house on that row that was behind Sadler's house and the shop owned by May and Winn.Joe Whitehouse had the shop before them. [email protected]

Last edited:
I was born at 35 Reynolds St in 1947.My nan Amy Price lived at 17/21 and I can remember her talking to Lizzy Plover over the garden wall.I can also remember Florry Lustie and a John Stretton.May Davis used to arrange a coach trip for us kids once a year.There was also a family called Farr.I can also remember a Genette or Jeanett Williams.I think that she was about the same age as me and lived at the far end of the row of houses thaw went at 90 deg to the actual road.My nan lived at the second house on that row that was behind Sadler's house and the shop owned by May and Winn.Joe Whitehouse had the shop before them. [email protected]
Lizzy Plover was my nan, my other grandmother house had adjoining gardens with the Oliver's and should the address was 16 the back of 21 (16/21), my older sister's are Jeanette & Karen. My dad and mom were Brian & Jean Williams !

Not Oliver's........Plovers
It seems that it was a possibility that we may have met in those days in the 50,s and 60's.As I have said MY nan's address was 17 back of 21 (17/21).I have a sister,Maureen, who is 3 years older than me.I am now an old fart of 71 LOL.Lizzy Plover's house was directly at the back of my nan's garden.I think that other families in the back to back houses had the name off Nicklin and it may have been a family called Williams that I had to go and get a and Auntie Alice pennies worth of mint from their garden so that my nan and Auntie Alice could have mint source on her Sunday dinner.

I spoke to my sister Maureen earlier tonight on the phone and mentioned that I am "talking" to you on this forum.As soon as she mentioned Megan Williams I suddenly remembered her and said that I recalled that she had reddish coloured hair.I then remembered that there were male twins,also with red hair,that lived in the back to back housesI can remember them all because they had to pass my nan's back yard to get to their house.Where I went for the mint,as previously mentioned,was to a well built lady that lived in the last but one house "up the yard".I think that she took lodgers in.

Megan's my Aunt, now living in south Wales, she often drives up for a visit, the twins were Owen & Huey, Huey is still in the Birmingham area, and the eldest my dad Brian.
I did the same with my sister this afternoon, as Im the youngest ( 1962), she knows alot more about who and where in the street. I'll be seeing her this evening for hopefully more details.
The Nicklins, another part of my family, but them living there was a surprise to me !

Reynolds st is marked in red on the map below. Raglan Road & Grove lane (named), and Cape hill (across the bottom) are still there

mapc1918reynoldsstsmethwick.jpg
sorry but no picture comes up

I have family connections with Reynold street My great grandad Alfred Cotter lived at number 34 and 50 and 26 at various times in his life In 1903 he died following an incident on a train in Oxfordshire following an M and B works outing to Brighton

Does this still exist? I cannot find it on the map and could not google it. Has something been built over it?
Hello im Heather stretton my dad was billy nelson son of Annie and william Melson lived at no 58 reynolds ? are we related ?
Reynolds st is marked in red on the map below. Raglan Road & Grove lane (named), and Cape hill (across the bottom) are still there

View attachment 141020
Thankyou so much.. Heather Nelson

It's lovely seeing all these surnames in an area that I am researching [WW1 casualties from Smethwick]. I will attach some 1901 Census Returns that list entire families

Diane

Attachments

• 1901 Census.jpg
    1901 Census.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1901 Census 1.jpg
    1901 Census 1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1901 Census 2.jpg
    1901 Census 2.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: