• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Respect

In Vivian’s post 27 she mentions being addressed as young lady. If the butcher was serving a male customer he could probably say young man, but is there a male equivalent of wench ?

Pedro. I don't think you got my not very good humour. :grinning: regarding your misstype where you referred to endearmen

Ah I see ! In my defence …sometimes the Forum removes the last letter you type before the full stop. So not a mistype but a blatant disregard of checking before posting. However it can lead to a few laughs.

Still heard occasionally, but not as common as it once was in these parts - “boy”. What really winds me up though is being called ”mate”.
my dad hated being called mate. he once said to a bloke who called him mate " mate? i have not fell of a sarnie"

i dont mind being called dude :)
my family come from derby and the local greating was Ay up, me duck!

The official explanation of it's origins is "Ay up me duck" is a greeting typically used in the North of England and the Midlands instead of hello. "Me" means "my", while "duck" is an affectionate term for another person. It originates from the Saxon word ducas. "Duka" (literally "duke"), and is unrelated to waterfowl.

Here in North Devon its:

'Maid' or 'My Lover' or ' My Dear' for women

'Me Handsome' or Boy for men

Last edited:
Christian names were not used by children. A friend of the family once took me to the Portsmouth Naval dockyard on one of their open days. I was told that I could call him Uncle

Here in North Devon its:

Boy pronounced Bey.
Always amused me to be called Bey as I was usually older than those speaking to me.

NoddKD, the old un.

Here in North Devon its:

On a trip to America I was travelling with a West Country bloke who insisted on calling people we met "boy". We tried to warn him not to use it but he didn't take any notice until a black taxi driver asked him to get out of his cab.

Why is PHILLIPS in capitals?
Over here, I would be formally addressed in correspondence as Mr SURNAME (upper case) Forename (Lower case capitalised). Julie would be written to as Mme BIRTHNAME (maiden name), her Forename, which causes many bullets to be spit. Sometimes it is BIRTHNAME followed by Epouse de MY SURNAME, Her Forename. That format causes high calibre bullets to be spit. That is generally becoming less common, but did rear its head recently when we had an administrative address change. The equivalent of our vehicle registration documents had to be changed, done on line. For me that was no problem, we sign on with our tax or health identities as they are verified. For Julie, the process went haywire because to those verified organisations she is BIRTHNAME, but for the car reg she is my SURNAME, and we kept getting thrown out as there was a name mismatch. We got round it, and it was a useful exercise in French bureaucracy.
Andrew.

Here in the Forest of Dean the old timers use 'old butty' but with the local accent it's 'owd burry'
Sometimes they drop the 'y' and it sounds a bit like 'awl but'. The standard greeting is 'Ow bist awl but?'. I was working with a contractor, also from Birmingham, who observed "how come so many people round here are named Albert?"

The one form of address to hear is Guy's , I used to live near a Harvester Inn who as you probably know pubs come restaurants . On Saturday afternoon when I went for my usual tipple I'd be sitting if alone enjoying the beer , when I'd hear Hi guys from one of the staff from the restaurant greeting a family that had come for a meal . I used to cringe when I heard that . Another tale The manager of the Barton Arms used to allow me to take my daughter in , this was before children were allowed in officially . Occasionally she'd ask me for a packet of crisps I'd give her the money and off she went , whereupon the gaffer would say to her "Yes young man " .

Back