• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Researching Aston families: - HAYNES, MASON, PRINCE,

B

Brummie in exile

Hi everyone,

It’s great to find this website!

I haven’t lived in Birmingham for over twenty years, but I visit often. I still miss the great brummie humour, and the friendly chat. There’s nowhere quite like Brum!

I was born in Heathfield Road hospital in the 1950’s and was brought up in Perry Barr. I used to go to dancing classes in Aston, and to the Saturday morning cinema in Birchfield Road. I once worked in Newtown Row Post Office. Happy Days!

My grandparents on my father’s side were all from Aston/Aston Manor, which is another reason why I’m thrilled to find this website because I’m researching my family tree.

Does anyone remember or have information about the following families…

HAYNES

MASON

PRINCE

The Haynes family seemed to like the name ‘George’, because my father, his father and his grandfather were all given this name! To help distinguish each generation I’ve given them a different colour

My dad was George Haynes, born 1923. He worked at Tucker Fasteners on the Walsall Road and he was a long-time member of Icknield Male Voice Choir. Dad was brought up in Dovedale Road, Perry Common. .

Dad’s parents were George Haynes (1900 – c1960) and Catherine Isabella Prince (Kate) 1902 - c1965).

George was brought up at No 3 house, back of 124 William Street. Aston Manor.

Kate was brought up at 4 William Henry Street. Aston.
Her father was William Prince and her mother was Catherine Shaw.

George and Kate lived in Dovedale Road, Perry Common. They had four children.

George – born 1923 (my dad)

Alice born c1925. Married Bill Hewitt

David – born c1928. Married Irene Lillis

Rosene – born c.1930. Married Frank ……..?

George Haynes’ parents were

George Haynes (born c1879, Aston) and Mary Ellen Mason (Nell) (born c1880, Aston)

In the 1881 Census Nell’s family were living at 10 Porchester street, Lozells, Aston Manor. By1891 they had moved to 88 Porchester Street, Lozells, Aston Manor.
Nell’s father was James Mason and her mother was Amelia Phillips

George’s father was William Haynes and his mother was Sarah (surname unknown)

William Haynes and his wife Sarah originated from Northamptonshire.

I would be thrilled to hear from anyone who has information about my relatives.

Lesley.

Welcome Brum I'm sure with details like that of your History the good people on the Forum will soon be making you smile, enjoy:)

Researching Aston families: HAYNES, PRINCE, MASON

Hi Alf,

thanks very much for the welcome. What a friendly site this is!

Lesley :)

Welcome, Brummy in exile.

I am sure you will find lots of help here. I notice your Dad was in The Ickneild Male Voice Choir they a very good I saw them a couple of years ago at Mathew Bolton Hall. They also support a lot of local events and fund raising projects.

There are quite a few of us on here born in Heathfield Road I was born there in 1953.

Welcome Lesley, from one newby to another, nice here isn't it, and Alf is really helpful and friendly.

Bev

Hi Lesley

I have no stories about the Haynes but i hope these help, i noticed you had a few circa dates --

Births

Alice M mmn (mothers maiden name) Prince 2nd qtr 1925 Birmingham N 6d 719

David T mmn Prince 3rd qtr 1928 Birmingham N 6d 753

Rosina E mmn Prince 4th qtr 1934 Birmingham N 6d 1934

I can tell you that some years ago all the houses in Dovedale had to be demolished, they was falling apart, just crumbling, they had been built with, I think, dodgy concrete, most of it still waiting to be built on.

Bren

Welcome Lesley and Bev. Hope you both have a great time on this very friendly, and helpful site. Best wishes, Barry.

Hi Lesley

Here you go, more goodies for you --

Marriages ---

Alice M/William C 3rd qtr 1945 Birmingham 6d 65

David T/Irene F 4th qtr 1951 Birmingham 9c 344

and the one you didn't know

Rosina E/Francis R Grayston 3rd qtr 1953 Birmingham 9c 138

Bren 8)

Welcome Brummie in exile it's wonderful all of the help you get on this forum from these friendly people, every minute I have free is spent on here.

Welcome Lesley. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the help people will give you on this site.
I can't offer a lot, but here are some background snippets. The Perry Common Estate was not built until around 1926, when your dad would have been three years old. It must have been a very primitive place in those very early days, as the shops around the central parade were still being built. If you look at an excellent site called Digital Handsworth, there are a few pics of that time. One shows College Road, still a single carriageway, with shanties serving as shops on the Kingstanding side, to serve the new Council estate, which was originally called the Witton Lodge Estate.
Being born ihn 1933, I went to Hawthorn Road Junior Boys' School 1941-44, and remember a boy by the name of Haynes (forgotten his first name), but it can't have been a close relative of yours.
William Street, where your dad first lived, ran parallel with the top part of Alma Street, from Lozells Road down to Clifford Street, and was technically in Lozells, Birmingham 19, which was in the Borough of Aston Manor before it was swallowed by Big Brummy Brother in 1911.
Heathfield Road, where you were born was in the Parish of Handsworth, until 1911 in the County of Staffordshire, before Brum took it over that year. The boundary between Aston and Handsworth ran from the Villa Cross in a wobbly line towards Witton, crossing the Birchfield Road in the dip at the bottom of Chain Walk.
Another unnecessary bit of information. You were born in the same maternity home as Clair Short, a lady I still have respect for. I was born up the road in Villa Road.
Best Wishes,
Peter

Hi Lesley

Just a thought, there used to be a family of Haynes who ran a greengrocer shop on Court Lane, not far from Dovedale Rd. They also had a single decker bus that was converted into a mobile shop that they used to drive around Perry Common/Short Heath/Erdington area, very popular, you could do a weeks shopping outside your house. There was another shop, may have been run by relatives, i am sure they was connected in some way, on Gravelly Lane. Somerset Rd ran between Court Lane and Gravelly Lane and was by both shops.

Bren

Peter, thanks for the post I found it very interesting as I find it difficult to sort out roads and area's. I have a photo of Clair at Key Hill's first open day I will post it when I find it!

Thanks for such a great welcome!

Hi again everyone. What a fantastic welcome!

Thanks to Peter and Bren for all the information. It will certainly help me fill in a few gaps.

Bren, as far as I know, none of my family were in business. I think my granddad worked in a foundry, but I can't be sure.

Peter, you are so knowledgeable!!! I think my dad might have lived somewhere near Summer Lane before he moved to Dovedale Road. I'll have to ask my mum to see if she knows.

Moma, I'm so glad you like Icknield Male Voice Choir! My poor old dad passed away in 2001, but my mum is still secretary to the choir (she even has her own choir jacket!). Carl Chinn is their patron. I last saw the choir earlier this year at the St George's day concert at Symphony Hall. They perform there every year with some of the other Midlands choirs. Mum and I really enjoyed it! Afterwards we sat in Centenary square and watched all the street performers, then we caught the bus to The Towers at Great Barr for steak and chips. We had a great day. They were performing at Tewkesbury Abbey yesterday. Join a choir and see the world eh!

Once again, thank you to all of you lovely people for such a warm welcome.

Lesley.

HAYNES: Births and Marriages

Hi Bren, can you tell me where you got your information about the Haynes births and marriages from please?

Best Wishes

Lesley

Hi Lesley

There are a lot of sites, i myself subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk as i think they have the largest collection of records, having said that i do like if possible to cross check. You can find a lot of free information and this can and does vary depending on the area, i will put some links for you, no doubt others will add to it --

www.ancestry.co.uk/

UK membership = £79:95 12months
--------------------------------------------------------------------

www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Pre-pay vouchers
------------------------------------------------------------------

www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

Register and search, free, includes IGI the largest collection of Parish Records online + 1881 Census, free. This is the LDS site who probably have the largest collection of records world wide.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

www.findmypast.com/home.jsp

Free to register but to see anything you can subscribe, pay-per-view or buy vouchers. Has Census & BMD and others such as Passport Applications, Ships Passenger Lists
------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.freebmd.org.uk/

This is a cracking site, completely free, a work in progress being constantly updated, all BMD and some Census

www.lostcousins.com

Free, you simply put all your ancestors that you find on the 1881 Census into their data base, if someone puts the same ones on, it matches you up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://genealogy.about.com/library/glossary/bl_occupations-c.htm

You can check on here for old names of occupations, or just Google

www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Very handy this site, lists all the registration districts in England and Wales 1837 to 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/register.asp

After all that searching you might want to order certificates, you can if you wish order them online, official GRO ordering service.

As you can see, there are a lot of sites around and these are just a few and if your not careful you can spend a fortune. It's best if you look at some sites and have a read of what they can offer you. When i started FreeBMD really got me started and remember, you can always post a request for help on here oh and don't forget to Google.

Hope this helps, it can seem a bit confusing, i know, i still am sometimes LOL.

Bren

Thanks

Thank you Bren. I already belong to Genes reunited and also to Ancestry, but you have mentioned some sites I haven't looked at...I'm off there now!

Take care

Lesley

Back